LAMH (look at my hair) is it worth buying?

HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,663
edited August 2017 in The Commons

I have the free player already and around a week ago I purchased Real Fur, but it seems like maybe it's limited a bit, but I may be misunderstanding it's full useage.

Post edited by HorusRa on

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

some people love it. ive had lAMH and GH for years. rarely use them. They are great for fur. For long hair it's too easy to get the hair inside the characters skull. I find them to be easy to use, but because of some of the quirks I don't use them.

What's it going for? looks like about $30 depending on discounts.

Have you watched the videos for the workflow? I don't think they have a lot of issues, just a couple that come up. If you want to use it for fur and render animals a lot, sure win. I wouldn't expect it to completely replace your mesh hair, but if you want to make a custom one on occasion then they are good for that. Good for rugs and stuff too.

For LAMH Not sure it works in Iray yet but I think they are working on it. Not sure works with G3F yet...last I checked it didn't without a tad of extra steps. But they are working on it.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • You can get some really amazing looking results with LAMH, but I haven't been able to get it to work in Iray at all (which isn't saying much because I know nothing!). They are working on an Iray version though, so hopefully it'll be a simple click and use function after that. Fingers crossed!

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015
    tl155180 said:

You can get some really amazing looking results with LAMH, but I haven't been able to get it to work in Iray at all (which isn't saying much because I know nothing!). They are working on an Iray version though, so hopefully it'll be a simple click and use function after that. Fingers crossed!

you would need to export as obj to work in Iray for now. Same as for folks that use other render solutions. Which will eat up ram and you need to learn the best way about exporting it and stuff.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,663
    edited August 2017

Thanks Larsmidnatt.

• tl155180 said:

You can get some really amazing looking results with LAMH, but I haven't been able to get it to work in Iray at all (which isn't saying much because I know nothing!). They are working on an Iray version though, so hopefully it'll be a simple click and use function after that. Fingers crossed!

you would need to export as obj to work in Iray for now. Same as for folks that use other render solutions. Which will eat up ram and you need to learn the best way about exporting it and stuff.

Thanks for the tip larsmidnatt (not that I really understood it lol). I think I'll just stick to hairless monsters and animals for now until they sort out their Iray version.

• tl155180 said:
    tl155180 said:

Thanks for the tip larsmidnatt (not that I really understood it lol). I think I'll just stick to hairless monsters and animals for now until they sort out their Iray version.

It is a bit of a process, but it is doable. I can understand not wanting to do it or figure it out. I did it a few times and got good results but it adds steps to the process and once you export out the hair fibers as an OBJ its no longer posable or changable in LAMH...so yeah..

But just saying, it is doable :) Technically.

@HorusRa I can't speak to the AOA lights as I don't buy lighting solutions cause I set that stuff up myself. Which set are you talking about?

edited August 2017

-

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,368

AoA lights are well worth having if you still render in 3DL at all.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,368
    edited September 2015
    scorpio said:

If you are thinking of getting a Hair/Fur plugin I think I would recommend LAMH it seems to have stabalised in the last few updates and as there is talk of getting it to work in Iray it m,ay well be worth while getting it while its on sale. There customer support is excellant.

No idea why that turned into a quote.

Post edited by scorpio on
    edited August 2017

-

• scorpio said:
    scorpio said:

If you are thinking of getting a Hair/Fur plugin I think I would recommend LAMH it seems to have stabalised in the last few updates and as there is talk of getting it to work in Iray it m,ay well be worth while getting it while its on sale. There customer support is excellant.

No idea why that turned into a quote.

ive done it before, you might have slipped instead of hitting edit.

• Don't forget the LAMH free player, guys, for use with any product that has LAMH presets.  I've been using it for a while and it seems to work very well.

Cheers,

Alex.