DS 4.8 default Backdrop and Camera Headlamp settings

Is there a way to change the default settings for Backdrop and Camera Headlamp mode so that they stay at the settings I prefer without needing to be set up each time I open Studio?

I change the backdrop colour to 192,192,192 then set this as (locked) default but when I open Studio again the colour has reverted to white.

As I prefer to keep the Camera Headlamp off I set it accordingly and change the default but again the setting does not stick and it reverts to auto on openiing Studio.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Comments

• I change the backdrop colour to 192,192,192 then set this as (locked) default but when I open Studio again the colour has reverted to white.

If I change my background colour using Window > Style > Customise Colours (at the very bottom) it stays taht way when I restart DAZ Studio.

The Headlamp reverts back to Auto unfortunately.   What you could do, is set up a scene that you want DS to load with, and add that in Edit > Preferences > Startup and it will always load with your settings.   Turning the head lamp off means that you get a 'black' window, so the default is Auto, but you can change this behaviour in Render Settings under General > Misc > Auto Headlamp.   You could then save that as a Render Settings Preset from the File menu.

A startup scene with all your own defaults might be easier?

• Many thanks for the suggestion.  I have placed a startup scene under Edit>Preferences>Startup and the problem is solved.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has the problem I've encountered.

I do have a default startup scene, but I often set the backdrop to 192/192.192. However, once I've done that, if I load ANY new figure or object, the backdrop reverts to its defaults - None 255/255/255.

I've tried every combination of preferences, and can't get it to work. I don't know if it's just me, or if this is general behaviour for everyone.

• maclean said:

I do have a default startup scene, but I often set the backdrop to 192/192.192. However, once I've done that, if I load ANY new figure or object, the backdrop reverts to its defaults - None 255/255/255.

I've tried every combination of preferences, and can't get it to work. I don't know if it's just me, or if this is general behaviour for everyone.

I never use the Backdrop option in the Environment pane to just change the background colour.   I always use Window > Style > Customise Colours, and change it there, and it always stays that way till I change it again.   I tried using Environment to change it, but even when i loaded a new figure of prop, it stayed at what I had set it to.

Not sure what is going on for you, but try the Customise Colours option for just shanging the background, it always works for me at any rate.

• Loading anything, even by merge, into an empty scene - even if it's been configured with respect to background colour - does do a File>New in effect. It's annoying, but it does seem to be the design behaviour. Which doesn't mean, if it's a nuisance for you, that you can't make a feature request for a different behaviour - but there may be a good reason for it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

Is your Startup scene also set as your New scene?

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    maclean said:

I never use the Backdrop option in the Environment pane to just change the background colour.   I always use Window > Style > Customise Colours, and change it there, and it always stays that way till I change it again.   I tried using Environment to change it, but even when i loaded a new figure of prop, it stayed at what I had set it to.

Not sure what is going on for you, but try the Customise Colours option for just shanging the background, it always works for me at any rate.

I already have the viewport set to 192/192/192 in Customise Colors, and it stays that way. But that has no effect whatsoever on the render background color.

If I set Environment to Backdrop> Background Color 192/192/192, them load a prop, it immediately switches to None 255/255/255, AND the viewport color changes from 192/192/192 to 255/255/255 (to match the Environment pane settings). That, to me, is unexpected behaviour. As Richard says, it may be the designed behaviour, but I can't imagine why.

No, my New scene is unchecked - no file, because I don't want a whole scene loading when I load a prop or go to a new blank scene.

My feeling is that this whole business of the viewport background has been changed in a way that doesn't make a lot of sense. And judging by the threads I've seen from baffled customers, I'm not the only one who has difficulty with it. Would it be so difficult to give us the option to have a single-color background? And yes, I did put in a feature request and was told that everything was working just fine, thanks for your input.

However, I'm hopeful that at some point in the future, DAZ will add more options. After all, I didn't use DS4 at all because of the new behaviour of the Surface pane (select an object in order to see its materials). Yet, Lo and Behold, in 4.8, we got the option to show a list of all materials in the scene. That one thing now makes DS usable again for me. So all may not be lost.