Genesis 3 Female - Eye movement is backwards?

I have the Genesis 3 Starter Essentials, installed in D|S 4.8 Beta, but I haven't used it much. Is there a reason why "Eyes - Side to Side" is backwards? Moving the slider left moves the eyes right, and vice-versa.

Comments

• Ptrope said:

I have the Genesis 3 Starter Essentials, installed in D|S 4.8 Beta, but I haven't used it much. Is there a reason why "Eyes - Side to Side" is backwards? Moving the slider left moves the eyes right, and vice-versa.

yeah its backward to prior generations but I was wondering if that was intentional?

• PtropePtrope Posts: 681

I can't believe it was intentional - how stupid an idea would that be? ;) Bad enough that both Poser and D|S reverse the movements on the left-side limbs so forward is back, up is down, but changing the eyes to move backwards? I think that's just bad coding (so is the other, frankly, but we've earned to live with it. I don't see a good excuse for having to learn to live with eyes that move unintuitively after several generations of getting it right).

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

It's not that hard to fix...but the question is, is it really backwards?

If you move the slider right, which way on the model do the eyes move to it's right or it's left?

Moving the slider left moves the eyes right (the model's right), and vice-versa.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

it wouldn't be a coding problem, it would be how the morphs were set up.

My point was I like the old system, it is more intuitive if you are viewing the model head on.

However with the new system one could argue when moving the dial to YOUR right, you are moving the eyes to THEIR right(their perspective not yours). And some might find it makes more sense.

You have to remember the perspective of the model/actor and not only the perspective of the director. And maybe the director is behind the model. So using the models perspective may be a better option.

Trust me, the who's left and right are we talking about is an issue in my day job and ever few years there is some imaginary poll taken to decide to shift what we call left and right. (Its really about who's perspective should we use) I don't see this as an accident. I see it as a departure from old norms that G3 opted to do a fair amount of. I think someone or enough people felt the old system was wrong and changed it. Otherwise it would have been caught by now!

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

I think someone or enough people felt the old system was wrong and changed it. Otherwise it would have been caught by now!

My point...it's a question of someone deciding that this is the perspective that's going to be used, and then making it that way.

It just strikes me as a pointless change - sure, improve the rigging, improve the mesh (although from what I see, this is definitely not the case - it would be an 'improvement' to actually follow the anatomy more closely, making it easier to create realistic morphs, and what the heck is with the lousy nipple mesh on G3F? It has nothing to do with anatomy), but some things are just common sense - to move eyes to the right, move the control to the right. Simple, intuitive, not something that after 6 generations you wake up and say, "Oh, wow! Let's change the way eyes move!" Really? So in the meantime, is there a way to modify the control to move opposite the input? This would also be handy for the left arm/hand/fingers/leg controls.

edited September 2015

Probably, but I don't know of a simple way, other than to recreate it, in the opposite direction.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • mjc1016 said:

Probably, but I don't know of a simple way, other than to recreate it, in the opposite direction.

Create a new property (right-click on Parameters pane, select Edit mode, right-click, Create New Property, name it (CTRLEyesReverse perhaps), give it a label (Eyes side-to-side user view perhaps), set the path to match the real control or put it somewhere else as you prefer, leave everything else default).

Set the current eye control to the right-most postion, set the new property to -1 (leftmost). Everything else should be zeroed (including the default shapes).

Right-click on the new property, select ERC Freeze, make sure that the only thing listed at the bottom is the real eye controller, click Accept.

Check the new property works as desired, if it does File>Save as>Support Assets>Morph Asset and check the new property.

Right-click on the Parameters pane and turn off Edit Mode.

Cool! Thanks, Richard! Might have to try that with the sinister side, too ;).

edited September 2015
    mjc1016 said:

Create a new property (right-click on Parameters pane, select Edit mode, right-click, Create New Property, name it (CTRLEyesReverse perhaps), give it a label (Eyes side-to-side user view perhaps), set the path to match the real control or put it somewhere else as you prefer, leave everything else default).

Set the current eye control to the right-most postion, set the new property to -1 (leftmost). Everything else should be zeroed (including the default shapes).

Right-click on the new property, select ERC Freeze, make sure that the only thing listed at the bottom is the real eye controller, click Accept.

Check the new property works as desired, if it does File>Save as>Support Assets>Morph Asset and check the new property.

Right-click on the Parameters pane and turn off Edit Mode.

Not as simple as an 'invert' button...but much simpler than I was coming up with.  Thanks Richard...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • Just turn Vicky upsidedown, works as usual then wink

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

When the model faces you, the eyes move in the direction of the slider, yes? From that perspective the silder control is logical.

Yeah, I was at work when I first posted and couldn't verify the direction, only that it is reversed from all Poser and Daz-compatible models that have ever been created. And while I was incorrect above and it IS "left for left, right for right," after nearly 20 years, it's an odd change to make, esp. when you consider that most figures will be posed facing the artist - even though the previous control was 'wrong.' it was much more intuitive. So I guess my original questions stills stands: was there a good reason to change this particular control, after nearly 20 years?