Why do my Big Cats 2 look so bright?

I have a relatively dark scene. It's a dimly lit wooded area. I have some leopards in the mix. I don't know what it is but they look so bright compared to everything else in the scene. They look like they're glowing in the dark. I have the LAMH Real Fur for Big Cats 2 applied. I've tweaked all kinds of settings on the leopards, but nothing seems to make them look darker, less reflective. Do I tweak something on the leopard, or on the LAMH? What am I missing? I’m looking for something like the SSS 50% you’d apply to a human figure.

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.59.14 PM.png
894 x 409 - 664K

Comments

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited September 2015

Do your lights have shadows activated? From my experience LAMH-Fur seems to be selfglowing when exposed to non-shadow-lights.

Most of the time, I use Area-Lights with activated shadows, Fall-Off and a high sampling rate (96 - 128). That increases the rendertime, but the quality is worth it. Just my opinion. ;-)

Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071

Have you tried lowering the Ambient setting for the fur. Going by the light on the arm of the leading figure they are emmitting light :)

• Fishtales said:

Have you tried lowering the Ambient setting for the fur. Going by the light on the arm of the leading figure they are emmitting light :)

Strange, the ambient setting for "SkinFace" and "SkinBody" is set to 0. I'll see if I can tweak the shadow settings on the point lights I have around.

• Ah, it wasn't the lights afterall.... I had to select SkinBody under the LAMH asset and not the leopard itself, then drop the Diffuse stregnth. It wasn't intuituve since the Surfaces tab appears blank when selecting LAMH_Leopard. You have to expand LAMH_Leopard in the scene tab, and select the skin, then go to the Surfaces tab.

You can see the difference in the test render. The head is seperate, so you can see the contrast between the body and the head.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 5.03.24 PM.png
    1086 x 664 - 734K