Question on brightness of saved renders

Hello, I have a question on the brightness of saved images. The saved image is a bit darker than the rendered one before saving. Is there a possibillity to fix this?

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

You have some kind of system or image viewer issue. My saved renders opened in any program that views png look the same as the original render in Studio.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

The image isn't changing brightness, but the various programs you use to view the image are not using the same gamma correction. If these are Iray renders, the gamma is corrected to 2.2 (unless you changed it), to match your monitor requirements, and the image is "tagged" with the sRGB profile, which tells the smarter programs on your PC how to properly display it.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

hmm, I use windows 7 and the windows picture viewer (do not know if it is called so in english) but it is the standard windows programm

that the image can look different with another graphic programm is clear but it is the standard windows function.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

The Windows Photo Viewer is for grandmas to look at pictures they get in email. 

You could try helping the problem by making sure your monitor is calibrated. Most of the better monitors have a manual calibration procedure that will get you closer, but the best way to do it is with monitor calibration hardware. Also be sure all of your image files are properly tagged with a document profile, so that programs that know how to read gamma settings can properly display it. Otherwise they are left to guessing how the image is supposed to be displayed.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127
    edited September 2015

I agree, the Windows photo viewer is terrible.I've been using irfanview.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • Definitely seconding the recommendation of Irfanview. I've been using it for many years, and it's always done exactly what I needed it to do.

Tobor said:

The Windows Photo Viewer is for grandmas to look at pictures they get in email. 

You could try helping the problem by making sure your monitor is calibrated. Most of the better monitors have a manual calibration procedure that will get you closer, but the best way to do it is with monitor calibration hardware. Also be sure all of your image files are properly tagged with a document profile, so that programs that know how to read gamma settings can properly display it. Otherwise they are left to guessing how the image is supposed to be displayed.

what has the monitor to do with it? I see the finished render in the renderwindow and I see the image after saving via windows photo viewer the image in the renderwindow is a bit lighter than the image in the windows photo viewer - the monitor is on both cases the same so monitor I think is not the problem.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

what it boils down to, with a calibrated monitor, you will be able to eliminate one possible source.  My guess, is that Windows Picture viewer is not using the same gamma settings/color profile as Studio is.

mjc1016 said:

what it boils down to, with a calibrated monitor, you will be able to eliminate one possible source.  My guess, is that Windows Picture viewer is not using the same gamma settings/color profile as Studio is.

well I think that will be the case. I have no other idea what it could be.

• Note that it isn't just a problem with D|S renders, it's more generalised. Some image viewing programs pay attention to the gamma settings embedded in the image file; some don't; some programs play nice with your monitor's calibration (or lack of it) and whether the monitor itself has a gamma setting applied, some don't. And a lot depends on whether the program that saved the image can handle gamma properly. D|S does a good enough job, but others are less reliable.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105

According to this article Picture Viewer doesn't use color profiles for color management.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/942856

I use IrfanView which does.