IG Iray Essentials - Genesis 3 Female & Victoria 7

nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

http://www.daz3d.com/ig-iray-essentials-genesis-3-female-victoria-7

I've been looking at this; anyone have who can offer an opinion?

I have Beautiful Skin and thinking they might be similar; I like that there is conformity across generations though.

Comments

• ooh! you just reminded me I bought that.  hang on and take a look.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

ooh! you just reminded me I bought that.  hang on and take a look.

LOL thanks; Daz makes its money on the stuff we forget we bought imo. :)

• Ok - here's a quick test.  I loaded V7 with the IG Iray Essentials, V7 with the DAZ V7 Iray materials and V7 with the DAZ 3Delight materials.  First image is out-of-the-box.

I was surprised how pink the IG Essentials are, so I checked the surface settings.  The Translucency is a medium pink whereas the DAZ settings are blood red.  So I tweaked both and set them to softer, lighter pinks.  The results are in the 2nd image.

V7 IG Iray-DAZ V7 Iray-DAZ V7 3Delight-2.png
    750 x 421 - 329K
    V7 IG Iray-DAZ V7 Iray-DAZ V7 3Delight-3.png
    750 x 421 - 326K
  • Not sure what I think at this point, other than I need to put my other 16gb of memory in the computer before I do any more renders.  One thing I'm curious about is how the DAZ Iray is able to show the veins through the skin and if that's part of the texture or if it's in the surface stettings.  I'll post more later...

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075
    edited September 2015

They are similar in that they are both options to the standard G3F/V7 shaders. IMO the standard shaders are a bit too tan for all uses. Where Beautiful Skin and IG Essentials diverge is that Beautiful Skin offers a variety of "alien" and "fantasy" skin tones plus a number of other settings and choices. IG Essentials offers more "normal" variation. Of the two (both G3F variations), I prefer Beautiful Skin Iray Genesis 3. I love IG's products but Iray Essential is more limited in the available choices. The Beautiful Skin G3 Ultra Pale choices are particularly interesting.

My opinion of course, YMMV, etc.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Thank you Sandman_max for taking the trouble. I must say even though I'm in agreement with fastbike1 that it does seem more limiting, I like products that offer some variation without tweaking; it is more straightforward to maintain differences for me. I rarely use V7, her skin is too tanned; that offeres an alternative, of course I could use Beautriful Skin on it, and have no idea why I haven't yet tried it on v7 only default without using the skins at all.

Hmm more experimentation required.

• I agree.  Since IG Essentials uses a skin texture, you're limited to what you can do with other colors.  So you could make it darker or lighter but it's always going to have that peachy undertone.  I'm going to load it into CS5 and put an overlay and see what I do to give her blue skin.  This is why I never end up rendering anything - I love playing with the geeky stuff too much.