Reality 4.1 Artifacts

I would like to thank Preta3d on the update to Reality 4.1 for Studio.  The abilty to change multiple surfaces simultaneously is brilliant and the speed for rendering is applaudable.  However, with the massive update, there seems to be another new learning curve for the light and render settings.  This image has Lara HD, 2 mesh, 1 IBL, sun and sky all on separate light controllers.  I am getting a weird mesh artifact, and I can not alter this after 2 hours of rendering.  To be honest, I am not sure if its anything to do with the Boosts available, or using GPU over open CL.  My humble little AMD cardproduced this.  Has anyone got any suggestions, I dont want to submit to Preta3d, as it sounds like they have a lot do deal with over the last couple of days.  Cheers guys!

reality_scene_edited.jpg
870 x 995 - 425K

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,376

I'm getting this sort of result on skin as well.

Personally i think Preta3d needs to consider employing some staff, yet again this release seems to be riddled with bugs. I'm even seeing reports of the bugs that were present in the release of 4.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2015

Plus ca change plus cest la meme chose. I guess to make profits he has to keep it solo I guess.. I think removing SSS takes care of this

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127
    Bobvan said:

Plus ca change plus cest la meme chose. I guess to make profits he has to keep it solo I guess.. I think removing SSS takes care of this

This works, Thank you

• Bobvan said:

Yep, if  you are doing this on GPU take out the SSS.

• Bobvan said:

Thanks Bobvan, I rerendered the scene, ommiting SSS.  Slight noise was being caused by the Sun light, so I removed it.

Reality NO SSS.jpg
    879 x 1330 - 360K

No worries guys my Reality experience is also going pretty crappy

• Have you both also updated to the latest Luxrender? Reality 4.1 takes advantage of some new features in the software, so that might be one possible reason for the errors.

Been using this for 3 years of couse I did

• Please note that at this time it’s not possible to render skin with SSS using OpenCL. If you need to render figures that have skin materials you need to disable SSS before rendering th OpenCL

This is in the manual https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/preta3d-products/reality/docs/Reality_Users_Guide.pdf

I suggest giving it a read. This is a LuxRender issue, not a Reality one.

• subluminalsubluminal Posts: 15
    edited September 2015
    scorpio said:

Personally i think Preta3d needs to consider employing some staff, yet again this release seems to be riddled with bugs. I'm even seeing reports of the bugs that were present in the release of 4.

You know he doesn't make the renderer, right?

ETA: I've always avoided LuxRender's GPU rendering. It was limiting and unstable years ago, and I don't expect miracles now. I like large resolution renders, and not having to worry about displacement maps and texture sizes. I'm always baffled when people attempt it on anything other than simple scenes.

Post edited by subluminal on
  • I only recenty downloaded LuxRender 1.5 x64 OpenCL Setup.exe having installed windows 10 as a clean install.  I think I'll render something with out altering any defaults.  I'm sure Preta3d will come up with a fix, genitals were missing when 4.0 was released, not really bothered by that as it aint my thing lol!

scorpio said:

You know he doesn't make the renderer, right?

ETA: I've always avoided LuxRender's GPU rendering. It was limiting and unstable years ago, and I don't expect miracles now. I like large resolution renders, and not having to worry about displacement maps and texture sizes. I'm always baffled when people attempt it on anything other than simple scenes.

Yes I know he doesn't make the renderer. But he does make and sell Reality which is a bridge to Lux and this version 4.1 has got bugs. I purchased Reality4 when it was released it was so bug riden that it wasn't usable. Most but not all of those bugs were fixed but this version seems to have some of the same bugs present in Reality 4 at release.

And from what you are saying the speed increase that Preta3d has been pushing is only useful on simple scenes, which hasn't been meentioned anywhere I've seen.

edited September 2015
    scorpio said:

Yes I know he doesn't make the renderer. But he does make and sell Reality which is a bridge to Lux and this version 4.1 has got bugs. I purchased Reality4 when it was released it was so bug riden that it wasn't usable. Most but not all of those bugs were fixed but this version seems to have some of the same bugs present in Reality 4 at release.

And from what you are saying the speed increase that Preta3d has been pushing is only useful on simple scenes, which hasn't been meentioned anywhere I've seen.

In this thread, people were treating a LuxRender issue like it's Reality's fault, without even reading the Reality manual. How many bugs are Reality issues, and how many are LuxRender? I'm not saying this version has no bugs, but people can to a little reading before going off in forums.

The speed increase is billed as a "CPU acceleration." GPU is separate. I this video by Paolo, he discusses 4.1.

He uses separate scenes to demo the CPU acceleration and GPU rendering, and he briefly mentions that GPU rendering has limitations. I know years ago it was really limited. It's probably better now, but I still wouldn't try something terribly complicated with it.

scorpio said:

In this thread, people were treating a LuxRender issue like it's Reality's fault, without even reading the Reality manual. How many bugs are Reality issues, and how many are LuxRender? I'm not saying this version has no bugs, but people can to a little reading before going off in forums.

The speed increase is billed as a "CPU acceleration." GPU is separate. I this video by Paolo, he discusses 4.1.

He uses separate scenes to demo the CPU acceleration and GPU rendering, and he briefly mentions that GPU rendering has limitations. I know years ago it was really limited. It's probably better now, but I still wouldn't try something terribly complicated with it.

As you were addressing the the thread as a whole it was rude to quote only me. I am aware of the GPU CPU differences and limitations - Reality and Lux are suppose to have a CPU speed increase of at least x7, something I am not as yet seeing - even on simple scenes. I'm also aware that Lux has a problem with SSS and that there is nothing Paola can do about that the other bugs, problems with Reality recognising cameras, Reality not recognising things that are invisible etc are Reality bugs not Lux problems.

According to Paolo

''As mentioned before, there are no issues with SSS except for GPU rendering. CPU rendering is just peachy . ''

Link to the thread where he said this

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?100988-Something-Wrong-Not-seeing-an-increase-in-render-time&p=916430#post916430

edited September 2015

Yes, the manual is referring to GPU rendering when it says to avoid SSS, not CPU.

Despite Paolo's words I'm having lots of problemms with SSS on skin and skin in general, Reality doesn't seem to convert Iray skin surfaces at all well.