Adding tiling to dzToon? How hard?

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Ok, shader mixer makes my brain weep. Now, I've done some (light) coding and other stuff before, so it's not... completely... ... scary...

One hurdle with working with Toon shading is that the dzToon stuff lacks tiling for many things. A lot of stuff I have, like spaceships and whatnot, use tiling for all sorts of things.

How hard would it be to add tiling to elements in dzToon? Or would I best use one of the commercial products out there? (And do any of THEM do much the same job but with tiling?)

Comments

• RodrijRodrij Posts: 154
    edited September 2015

Tiling in 3delight shaders is usually hidden for some reason so you may want to try to show hidden properties on surfaces tab.

In shader mixer there is node called Tiler in the Brickyard. Bricks>Textures>Tiler. All you have to do is find the node that holds the diffuse data, it might be called color map, diffuse map, image map. On that node there click on the bar menu icon under the x icon and select show advanced. This Will reveal S and T property. Then add the Tiler if you didnt alread and connect the Tiled S/T in the Tiler node to the S/T in the image node.

After applying shader you should now see Horizontal tiles, Vertical Tiles, in shader properties

This is a simple example. You can use the same Tiler Node to affect multiple image maps like bump normal etc so they all tile together.

Edit: I tried importng dztoon shader into the mixer but it did't let me. If you can't either you can always make your own toon shader easily. Just add Edge Blend and Toon Outline node located in Bricks>Geometric> Special.

You would connect these nodes between the image map and the material node so it would look like this

Image Map Node>Edge Blend>Toon Outline> DS default material

Post edited by Rodrij on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970
    edited September 2015

I can't for the life of me figure out how to even edit a shader, so... yeeeah.

(chalk yet another item up to 'why can't anything be reasonably documented')

(I keep hitting 'import from scene' in shader mixer and aaaabsolutely nothing happens)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Import from Scene will work only for the DAZ Default Shader and for shaders made in Shader Mixer. Other shaders, such as the pw and uber series, will not import. I think DzToon is a compiled shader made in Shader Builder (or by direct text entry), I'm ot sure if a source network of .rsl file is supplied if that's correct.

Aaah. Poop. Ah well, thanks. ;)

At least I know I'm not doing something stupid/wrong.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Basically, from what I can tell the only way to add it would be with having access to the source code and recompiling it.

What Richard said is right, it's a compiled shader not a brick shader.

I wasn't even aware of the distinction, so at least I learned something. ;)