GTX 980 Ti vs Titan X for Iray

2»

Comments

• AndyGrimmAndyGrimm Posts: 910

If you are into overclocking and that's the reason to go with a i7 CPU then i would take the i7 5930k (40 pci lanes support)... and as said allready.. if you dont need 6 cores.. the XEON  E5-1620 V3 3.5GH offers the same single thread speed and 40 lanes for 300usd... as you can see i am biased against the  i7 5820k.

• Just finished the build of my new pc: Titan X/5820K/32Gb RAM. Coming from a i5/ 970/32Gb RAM build, there is a huge difference. As others have said i would certainly go for the titan X. RAM 32 vs 16 Gb, a lot of my scenes need more than 16Gb and these are not very complex scenes.

Of course as everybody i have a limit to my budget so i used the 5820K cpu wich is not the BEST choice. 

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,239

Just finished the build of my new pc: Titan X/5820K/32Gb RAM. Coming from a i5/ 970/32Gb RAM build, there is a huge difference. As others have said i would certainly go for the titan X. RAM 32 vs 16 Gb, a lot of my scenes need more than 16Gb and these are not very complex scenes.

Of course as everybody i have a limit to my budget so i used the 5820K cpu wich is not the BEST choice. 

Have you thrown the 970 into the same rig? I used to run a 970 and upgraded to a titan x, in-fact a have an almost identical set up to yourself, But i use the 970 along side the TX. If you have a free slot on your mobo (and decent psu wattage) i definitely recommend it. Also, it might be worth fiddling with your fan profiles on the TX since the default one on mine was letting it get a bit too warm.

•  

Just finished the build of my new pc: Titan X/5820K/32Gb RAM. Coming from a i5/ 970/32Gb RAM build, there is a huge difference. As others have said i would certainly go for the titan X. RAM 32 vs 16 Gb, a lot of my scenes need more than 16Gb and these are not very complex scenes.

Have you thrown the 970 into the same rig? I used to run a 970 and upgraded to a titan x, in-fact a have an almost identical set up to yourself, But i use the 970 along side the TX. If you have a free slot on your mobo (and decent psu wattage) i definitely recommend it. Also, it might be worth fiddling with your fan profiles on the TX since the default one on mine was letting it get a bit too warm.

My 970 was/is behaving flacky and i still use my old rig. My new build is watercooled, the titan is cooled by a big waterblock. Tested it with some benchmark software and also heavy rendering maximum temperature 32°C!!

First time i made a watercooled system, but i am pleased low noise level and very low temperatures. It is also sexy and fun to build.

• Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210

I have been doing Octane renders with cards which had 4Gb of RAM and was never inconvenienced. Now I have the 980Ti with 6Gb of video RAM. I tend to put more people and things in my pictures say 4 or 5 people. From this I would be surprised if 6Gb video card memory was a problem. You are paying nearly twice the price for a Titan over a 980Ti and I cant see how its worth it given the minor speed differential. Unless in the future you want to do battle scenes or football arenas I dont see how 12Gb is future proofing either. In short its not really worth the difference. Save your money for the even better nvidia card coming out end of 2016.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/05/nvidia-gtx-980-ti-review-all-the-power-of-the-titan-x-for-650/

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/201417-nvidias-2016-roadmap-shows-huge-performance-gains-from-upcoming-pascal-architecture

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,239

My 970 was/is behaving flacky and i still use my old rig. My new build is watercooled, the titan is cooled by a big waterblock. Tested it with some benchmark software and also heavy rendering maximum temperature 32°C!!

First time i made a watercooled system, but i am pleased low noise level and very low temperatures. It is also sexy and fun to build.

Great stuff! I've looked into a watercooling block but i've been putting cash aside for a second titan x.. and of course a better psu, bigger case and better motherboard to accommodate said titans - it's getting pricey. With my current fan profile it can get up to around 60°C which isn't much to worry about but i'm not sure if higher temps are crippling performance.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

I have a question. Folks seem to be really concerned about gpu operating temps that are well below the design spec. Do they not believe nvidia about cards being designed to operate reliably up to the design temp, then having a thermal throttle or shutdown?

My gtx780 runs up to the 80 c program w 50% fan speed, then sits there until the render is finished. Design temp is 95 c. I see the design temp for a titan x is 91 c.

i note that the stock fans on my evga card do not produce significant noise at 50%. I also seem to remeber reading something from nvidia about iray and gpus along the lines that the gpu needed to be close to the expected operating temp (not too high or low) or performance would be negatively impacted.

• ZooriZoori Posts: 6
    edited April 2016

If you put a 6Gb 980ti and a 2GB 760 in your system, will DAZ studio use the 6Gb or 2Gb for rendering?

I know that the Cuda cores from both will be used.

Post edited by Zoori on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    Zoori said:

If you put a 6Gb 980ti and a 2GB 760 in your system, will DAZ studio use the 6Gb or 2Gb for rendering?

If the scene fits in 2 GB Iray will use both; if the scene is larger than 2 GB the smaller card will not be used at all. This is determined at the start of the rendr, as the scene data is written to the cards.

fastbike1 said:

I have a question. Folks seem to be really concerned about gpu operating temps that are well below the design spec. Do they not believe nvidia about cards being designed to operate reliably up to the design temp, then having a thermal throttle or shutdown?

My gtx780 runs up to the 80 c program w 50% fan speed, then sits there until the render is finished. Design temp is 95 c. I see the design temp for a titan x is 91 c.

i note that the stock fans on my evga card do not produce significant noise at 50%. I also seem to remeber reading something from nvidia about iray and gpus along the lines that the gpu needed to be close to the expected operating temp (not too high or low) or performance would be negatively impacted.

I'm a firm believer in not pushing the limits if I don't have to. I have a gtx 980 TI that does work well at the design limit of 83 C -- but with a custom fan profile I can get that temperature down to 60 degrees and the render speed is not impacted - same core and memory clock speeds, same gpu and memory load, and the same GPU load - right at 97%. I'm voltage limited at that point - I've not played with the voltage configuration. If I don't use the custom fan profile I get temperature limited at between 94 and 97% GPU load.

And the fan noise at 70% speed is not noticeable - even though the system is about two feet from my right knee.

namffuak said:
    Zoori said:

If the scene fits in 2 GB Iray will use both; if the scene is larger than 2 GB the smaller card will not be used at all. This is determined at the start of the rendr, as the scene data is written to the cards.

Is there anyway to calculate/know the size of the scene before rendering?

Zoori said:
    namffuak said:
    Zoori said:

Not accurately. There are simple rule-of-thumb examples floating around in the forums - try a google search "calculate scene size site:daz3d.com" and check out some of the resulting links to the forum. I've found that one G3, clothed, in a simple photo-studio like backdrop with a three-point light arrangement can run from 1.7 to 3.2 GB, depending on textures on the clothing.

Also, the card used to drive the monitor(s) will have between 300 and 500 MB tied up for that.

namffuak said:
    Zoori said:
    namffuak said:
    Zoori said:

Not accurately. There are simple rule-of-thumb examples floating around in the forums - try a google search "calculate scene size site:daz3d.com" and check out some of the resulting links to the forum. I've found that one G3, clothed, in a simple photo-studio like backdrop with a three-point light arrangement can run from 1.7 to 3.2 GB, depending on textures on the clothing.

Also, the card used to drive the monitor(s) will have between 300 and 500 MB tied up for that.

Thanks for the help!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    namffuak said:

Actually that can be as high as 1 GB on some systems with full 'eye candy' turned on...

• Zoori said:
    namffuak said:
    Zoori said:

It is a guesstimator not a precise calculator, but look at http://www.daz3d.com/iray-memory-assistant

mjc1016 said:
    namffuak said:

Actually that can be as high as 1 GB on some systems with full 'eye candy' turned on...

Ouch! It should be obvious I don't do that - I'm old school, it's a graphic display, not an arcade game. :-)

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457

origon has new setups on their pcs trying to decide between the mid tower with the duo 12 gb titans or the genesis with  newest released quad 8 gb gtx 1080's lots are making a big deal over these new cards and having advantages over the 980t and titans like speed temp' pixals and other areas even though less cores and vram I'll admit I don't know much about computers btw

• jurajura Posts: 50
    Firebrand said:

Hey all,

I'm trying to create my first build; but I'm completely out of date on the new hardware, can you help me understand --

1.) Which card provides more benefit for rendering times:

- Two (2) 980 ti Hybrids now in SLI, or
    - One (1) Titan X Hybrid?  [With plans to add a 2nd in a year or two in SLI later].

2.) Which motherboard & processor would you recommend (upper-end, future-proofing), if you were constructing a build right now (and should number of cores utilization be a considered factor for the motherboard)?

- i7-5820K + x99 motherboard (6-8 cores, with no integrated 3.1), or
    - i7-6700K + Z170 motherboard (4-cores, with integrated 3.1).

3.) And if x99, due to current cores use, then the:

- ASUS Sabertooth x99 TUF, or
    - ASUS x99 A (is Broadwell E, or integrated 3.1 an issue here?), or
    - Some other/better x99 board?

4.) If I wanted the QUIETEST system (I have hyper-sensitivity to noise), yet coolest (air/liquid, doesn't matter) Case, Power, and Fan/Water system, which would you recommend for quiet operation?  And why (or any other tips)..?  I don't mind a big tower, in fact, I prefer it -- and I'm not a gamer, so LED lights, etc, are not important to me.  I will use the system for Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, Daz3D, possibly more 3D in the future, and big monitors.

Thank you!

Hi there

As above I would go with two GTX980Ti for now,but still I would rather wait on few benchmarks of new GTX1070 or 1080,those should cost less than 980Ti

1) I would go right now if I would build PC then GTX980Ti will be best option right now,this depends on yours scene and how many figures do you want to render and how many props do you will have there,in DAZ3D I'm sometimes hitting 4-6GB quiet easily,due this I'm running Titan X as my main card and GTX780 

2) On this I would probably differ,I would go with as above with Xeon,have look on ebay on used E5-2683 V3,those CPU are 14 Core/28 Threads and with those CPU you should have great performance,regarding the Motherbaord I would go with Asus or ASROCK without the questions,have used two Gigabyte and both failed and MSI,not sure if I would touch them,GPU they're make in my are one of the best,I wouldn't go with Z170,with this you will be limited,for workstation I would go with X99 as minimum and RAM,get 64GB,this will depends on more factors,if will go with proper motherbaord something like is dual Xeon board then you will need to run ECC RAM

3) Motherbaord choices,I would probbaly go with Asus X99 Deluxe or Asus X99 WS or from ASROCK Extreme 6,those MB supports Xeon out of box and AsRock supports I think too ECC RAM with Xeons 

4) Regarding the cooling,I would have look on Noctua fans something like NF-F12 those are very quiet fans and please invest to fan controller,usually my fans are running at 650-750RPM most of the time,for CPU I would go with Noctua as CPU cooler or as next option Corsair H100 V2,but I would upgrade the fans to above mentioned Noctua fans or BeQuiet Pure Wings or Silent Wings,I've run both of them and al of them are very quiet fans

For case I would go with Phanteks Enthoo Primo or Thermaltake X71 Core,with those cases you will have lots of spaces and quality fans too and they're pretty much greta cases,went via few and Cosair I wouldn't touch,they're poorly made and maionly quality is not worth it

Here are pics of Enthoo Primo 

And perevious case with X58 and case is Thermaltake Core X71

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura