DAZ Studio - Long render time for single frame (on a scene with barely anything in it)

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to Daz Studio, I've done all the interactive tutorials and watched/read many guides on how to get more familiar with the program but I find all the render tutorials seem to be based on older versions of Daz Studio (I'm using 4.8) and I can't seem to find things they're talking about.

My intentions are to use DS as an anatomy reference for me to paint illustrations from, so all I'm looking to do is render a scene with no background, no textures - exactly like the image attached.

My questions are:

• How do I optimise the render for a quick preview? Currently it's taking over 5 minutes to render a single frame at 334x251px, only difference being my figure has skin. I just want to be able to make sure my lighting and camera angle looks good with a rough render (the aux viewport isn't enough)
  • Am I right in thinking that if I wanted a full render, at a larger size (say 800x600) would take hours? 
  • Lastly, how do I replace the skin of my model with the white texture (like in the image attached)

Sorry to be asking such basic-seeming questions but like I said, all the guides I could find were outdated and didn't seem to apply to the new DAZ Studio version.

Here are my computer specs as I'm sure they're a factor:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i7 @3.07GHz, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 5700

Thanks in advance!

Hannah

gen2fem_morphs_mainpromo.jpg
960 x 1248 - 145K

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited October 2015

First of all, in Render Settings, you have a choice of render engines.   Iray is now the default, and it is an unbiased render engine, excellent for physically correct lighting, but I doubt if you would need that for what you want.   You can select 3Delight or Basic OpenGL from the top of the settings where it says Engine : NVIDIA Iray, and try them.

Lastly, how do I replace the skin of my model with the white texture (like in the image attached)

Select your figure in the Scene pane (or Viewport), select the surface in the Surfaces pane, then apply a shader by double clicking on it.   The DAZ Studio default shader can be found in DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > Shader Mixer Tutorial > Presets, it has an overall gray colour, and should render quickly.

See how you get on with that.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  •  

Thanks for your quick reply Jimmy, the suggestion to the render settings have greatly improved things - exactly what I was looking for!

However I'm still struggling with this:

Select your figure in the Scene pane (or Viewport), select the surface in the Surfaces pane, then apply a shader by double clicking on it.   The DAZ Studio default shader can be found in DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > Shader Mixer Tutorial > Presets, it has an overall gray colour, and should render quickly.

I've located the shader in the library where you stated, but I can't seem to apply it to my model - double clicking while having the model selected and dragging it on top of the model don't seem to do anything. It looks like it's loading it (I get a small window pop up and disapear quickly with 2 buttons on it - minimize and history).

What am I missing?

Thanks again!

Hannah

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You need to select the material zones for the object in the Surface pane for a shader to apply.  Once the default shader is applied you may want to switch it to Matte.

• Thank you Jestmart, got it to work :) Although I couldn't see the option for 'matte' - either way I'm happy with the results :)

Hannah