3delight materials that refuse to convert to Iray

I've come across some materials in 3delight format that resist all my attempts to convert them to Iray format with the usual method of highlighting the item in the Scene tab, then selecting the surfaces in the Surfaces tab, then applying the ubiquitous Iray uber shader.  They stubbornly stick to being what they are.  Very odd as this almost always works.

Now, if I could somehow remove the 3delight material completely, maybe I could create a material in Iray format from scratch, re-using various bits like the diffuse maps, bump maps and so on?  Problem is, I can't find any way to do this, not even the first bit.

Is there a way to do this, or just to force the little blighters to accept the Iray conversion?  Any input appreciated.

Comments

• if the 3Delight shader uses non-standard naming then the conversion process won't know what properties to map to the Iray shader. It also won't be able to do anything with 3Delight procedural shaders created in Shader Mixer or Shader Builder even if the basic channel names are right.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Examples would be nice...can you post some screenshots of one?

• andya_b341b7c5f5andya_b341b7c5f5 Posts: 694
    edited November 2015

Thanks for the input.  I have worked around this by finding another item to replace it with.  On reflection it didn't seem worth fighting with, better to file under 'broken' and move on.  But I think Richard may be on to something, though I am not sure what the standard naming would look like.  mjc1016 - It didn't seem to me initially that examples would be all that informative as the Iray uber shader simply did absolutely nothing, so there was little to show except the contents of the Surfaces tab.

Post edited by andya_b341b7c5f5 on
  • I've just run into the same problem with another clothing item, so here is an example if anyone cares to look at the issue - Rose Thorn (SKU 17573), the bodice surfaces refuse to convert from 3delight format to Iray format by way of applying the Iray uber shader.  Not the item I originally ran into the issue with, but exactly the same problem.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127

I've just run into the same problem with another clothing item, so here is an example if anyone cares to look at the issue - Rose Thorn (SKU 17573), the bodice surfaces refuse to convert from 3delight format to Iray format by way of applying the Iray uber shader.  Not the item I originally ran into the issue with, but exactly the same problem.

I have this outfit.

Works fine for me, I even fixed up the displacement for the etching in iray :)

in this test render I swapped it over to iray metal gold. and then just did the CTRL+click to swap over the rest of the outift.

RoseThornIray.jpg
    1074 x 899 - 159K
  • Hmm.  That is strange, the materials still refuse to convert for me.  I have fiddled with the 3delight settings and got something that looks OK in Iray - it will pass muster but it's not great.  A bit hit and miss, as I'm concentrating on getting the most out of Iray, so don't intend to devote time to learning the ins and outs of Iray.

I guess that goes down at the end of the long list of DS foibles, idiosyncracies and oddities.