Genesis 3 Female(s) Wet Body Iray

Such a pitty, would buy this product but I don`t use Iray so no match

Comments

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

And your point is? There's already similar products for earlier generations and 3DL, so it's nice to see this for G3F and Iray too. This went straight into my cart.

• Product works fine in general, except when you use the Genesis 3 female genitalia from the Victoria 7 pro bundle. Those turn pale. Since both are from the DAZ shop I would have expected otherwise.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,854
    bohlien said:

Product works fine in general, except when you use the Genesis 3 female genitalia from the Victoria 7 pro bundle. Those turn pale. Since both are from the DAZ shop I would have expected otherwise.

Couldn't you just copy the settings from the areas that look OK and paste them to the genitals? Or even study the settings and enter the values manually until you get the correct look?

• morkmork Posts: 278
    edited November 2015

It's something I don't understand as well, especially since it's almost no extra work to do it right.
    But note that even DAZ doesn't do that on its own presets, for e.g. the male/female iray preset, which makes you wonder even more.

Can you check if the files provided by this product are encrypted, please? Look for it in your content folder in DAZ, right click and something like "show files in file system", then edit the preset file with notepad - don't change anything, don't save anything, just look if it looks like garbage (encrypted) or plain text.
    If it is plain text, we can fix that (and I'd consider buying it). If it is encrypted we're out of luck and have to copy Torso material each and every time one wants to use these presets, which is very annoying to do, as you need to fix the maps afterwards.
    Did this on a couple of presets and it's so much easier when all you have to do is select figure -> apply preset -> select gen -> apply preset -> done. There are enough things to spend time on already. ;)

The trick in the end is to copy the torso shader definitions to a new definition that is named like the genitalia surface. I have a quick and dirty PHP script around here that does this, if anyone is interested.

Edit: This is an perfect example on why encrypted content files are not desireable. You cannot fix what is broken and are solely dependent on others, if they think "naaah won't do that", that's it. Should I purchase over and over and return it over and over, because I find out it is not doing what I wanted / needed? How often could I do that? Thinking "not too often", I don't purchase it at all, to save myself the hassles.

Post edited by mork on
    mork said:

Can you check if the files provided by this product are encrypted, please? Look for it in your content folder in DAZ, right click and something like "show files in file system", then edit the preset file with notepad - don't change anything, don't save anything, just look if it looks like garbage (encrypted) or plain text.

I don't own the product. You should just be able to save the genital's material presets when you have it configured correctly. No need to muck around with the original files.

• morkmork Posts: 278
    nDelphi said:
    mork said:

I don't own the product. You should just be able to save the genital's material presets when you have it configured correctly. No need to muck around with the original files.

I probably could, thanks for reminding me, but why have two presets where one is all you need? :) All those additional presets would add up over time as well.
    For me it's actually much faster to correct/complement the original file, after having created an appropriate script.

edited November 2015

I can give you a lot of personal experience why that feature is necessary. That is not an issue, that is a great basic feature to have--a needed, must have, one in any 3D application. The screams would be felt loud and clear if such a basic feature were not a part of DAZ Studio.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • Copying the Torso information from the Geoshell itself (not the actual character) to the gens information in the Geoshell section itself works.  You may first have to add the Iray uber base to the gens information and then paste the torso info onto it.  I tried it yesterday with different gens and found that the settings for them within the geoshell deverted back to daz default shaders so i just had to add the Iray uber to them so I could copy/paste the torso section to it.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994

I'm confused. So is the Wet Body Iray geoshell like a separate shell item that somehow fits over your model's skin without actually impacting upon the textures at all?

If so, does that mean that you could change the shape of the drops by using the tiling sliders? I know the offset sliders move them around...

Also, the Water Drop Partial Face Shells look a bit milky in texture in some of the promos - is this actually how they turn out when you render them?

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    tl155180 said:

I'm confused. So is the Wet Body Iray geoshell like a separate shell item that somehow fits over your model's skin without actually impacting upon the textures at all?

Correct.

<<If so, does that mean that you could change the shape of the drops by using the tiling sliders? I know the offset sliders move them around...>>

Change the shape of the drop?  I don't think that's how the tiling sliders work.  What they do is repeat the texture a number of times through the area.

<<Also, the Water Drop Partial Face Shells look a bit milky in texture in some of the promos - is this actually how they turn out when you render them?>>

That is something you can control.  You can make the drop more transparent by lowering the Cutout Opacity in Surfaces from .5 default to .2.

SimonWM said:
    tl155180 said:

Correct.

<<If so, does that mean that you could change the shape of the drops by using the tiling sliders? I know the offset sliders move them around...>>

Change the shape of the drop?  I don't think that's how the tiling sliders work.  What they do is repeat the texture a number of times through the area.

<<Also, the Water Drop Partial Face Shells look a bit milky in texture in some of the promos - is this actually how they turn out when you render them?>>

That is something you can control.  You can make the drop more transparent by lowering the Cutout Opacity in Surfaces from .5 default to .2.

Hi Simon. Thanks for the answers! I am very interested in getting this product but I want to make sure that I'll be able to use it the way I want to. When I suggested changing the shape of the drops I meant that by lowering the horizontal tiling slider below 1.00 I think, in theory, it should widen the drop so that it covers a wider area - more like a splat than a drop. Thats my theory anyway.

I assume that the drops can overlap as well?

tl155180 said:
    SimonWM said:
    tl155180 said:

Correct.

Hi Simon. Thanks for the answers! I am very interested in getting this product but I want to make sure that I'll be able to use it the way I want to. When I suggested changing the shape of the drops I meant that by lowering the horizontal tiling slider below 1.00 I think, in theory, it should widen the drop so that it covers a wider area - more like a splat than a drop. Thats my theory anyway.

If you want to change the proportions of the drops like making them wider, or even smaller or bigger you need to use the DAZ Studio Layered Image Editor.  That tool will let you flip them horizontally, vertically (flip their direction), and change their proportions (x scale, y scale).  You will be working with the Cutout Opacity texture of the Geometry Shell in the Surfaces panel.  I find useful flipping them for example if the character has the arms up in the air then the drops would be going the oposite direction but not sure why you would want to widen a drop cause you would be messing with the drop shape.  As you can see the screencaptures I'm making the shoulder drop wider by giving it an X scale of 120%, then I'm making it bigger by scaling it up to 80% in both X & Y.

Yes, drops can overlap too.

2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 986K
    3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 850K
    4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 851K
    5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1007K
    6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 850K

Ahhhh, excellent. Many thanks for the tutorial (I've never used the Layered Image Editor before - nice to know what it does!). This looks like it'll be perfect for my needs. You have made a sale - now I just need to decide if I need just the G3 version, or the bundle.... laugh

Glad to help. :)

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

what is this supposed to be on her body ?

SimonWM said:

tl155180 said:
    SimonWM said:
    tl155180 said:

Correct.

If you want to change the proportions of the drops like making them wider, or even smaller or bigger you need to use the DAZ Studio Layered Image Editor.  That tool will let you flip them horizontally, vertically (flip their direction), and change their proportions (x scale, y scale).  You will be working with the Cutout Opacity texture of the Geometry Shell in the Surfaces panel.  I find useful flipping them for example if the character has the arms up in the air then the drops would be going the oposite direction but not sure why you would want to widen a drop cause you would be messing with the drop shape.  As you can see the screencaptures I'm making the shoulder drop wider by giving it an X scale of 120%, then I'm making it bigger by scaling it up to 80% in both X & Y.

Yes, drops can overlap too.

Ruphuss said:

what is this supposed to be on her body ?

The drops are geometry shells (second skins) that load parented to the figure.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,885
    mork said:

For some files (like .duf) it may also just mean they're zipped, and can be unzipped for editing.