Problem with Windows video drivers

Hello. I'm new here, just posted a brief intro in the Introductions forum. And straight off, I'm looking for help and advice!

The problem is, my PC doesn't seem to be up to this. It's a Lenovo Thinkcentre on Windows 7 with a Pentium G3240 and Intel HD graphics, which isn't aimed at this kind of work at all. However, I downloaded and installed the software and it worked, though quite slow. Then, when I fired up the PC this morning, got BSOD repeatedly. Went into repair mode, restored from a point before Daz3d was installed, and now the PC is working, but no Daz3d of course. I had this before with ManyCam - it seems anything that messes with the video drivers causes a problem.

I was thinking, before the crash, I would upgrade the ThinkCentre with a Core i7 and maybe an addon graphics card. Now I'm wondering if that would work. I've already got 16Gb of RAM. Any thoughts on whether an upgrade would work, and if so, any suggestions on graphics cards?

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,106

Have you tried updating the video driver? I use an i5 with Intel 4000 graphics on this laptop and updating the graphics driver sorted some problems I was having.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,925
    edited November 2015

Daz and intel video don't get along very well. I'm taking it it is an onboard video. I would suggest getting a dedicated card. You can try and update the video driver.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    frank0314 said:

Daz and intel video don't get along very well. I'm taking it it is an onboard video. I would suggest getting a dedicated card. You can try and update the video driver.

I haven't had any problems after updating the driver to the Intel one. The default Samsung/Microsoft one gave me nothing but problems as it used an old OpenGL version.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Intel has a history of minimal OpenGL support/broken OGL support.  Often one must play driver roulette to find a version that works well with the installed software and the hardware it's running on.  The manufacturer specific versions of the drivers are even worse.   On the other hand, the drivers usually have decent or better DirectX (or whatever MS is calling it now) support.

The best bet/chance of success is to use the Intel version of the driver...and for Win7 and 8 that is easily done.  The problem is for some chipsets there is no Win10 version, so if problems do crop up with Win10, there is no recourse.

For this one, since it is Win7, the Intel version is worth trying.

It's Windows 7 I have here.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Fishtales said:

It's Windows 7 I have here.

Which for the chipsets I looked up at Intel, the other day, has drivers.

• Thanks for the suggestions. I've got an Intel HD video driver that is dated Aug 2015, which I installed after I had the problems with ManyCam. And it has been working with no problems until I installed Daz. According BlueScreenView, the problem, when it crashes, is in Videoprt.sys and vga.sys. I think I'm going to have to try a dedicated graphics card. Any recommendations, or a minimum spec to look for?