OT: Website Spam To Suspend Account

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
edited November 2015 in The Commons

While this is OT for DAZ specific, it does relate because many of us have websites or website domains that relate to our 3D art created by DAZ (and other companies.) I know I've visited many sites by our artists.  If you receive an abuse/spam policy which states your website has been suspended, check the email address and see if it has a .com.info  address (both of those together.)  It will have your real website provider name in front of it, and otherwise the correspondence is extremely well written and looks official. Yes, they even provide a phone number! It will give you a clickable link to see the reported violations. (Never click links- EVER.) 

I can't emphasize enough this is an extremely clever, well written document. They will have your first and last name, your website domain name, etc. and the vocabulary is fluid and uses larger words.It sounds very professional. It will even tell you they tried reaching you by phone, and after repeated failed attempts (blah blah blah.)  The ONLY clue is that email address. They even tell you to call their specific department. My provider informed me that several months ago, several companies began receiving complaints about fraudulent emails. 

Thought I'd let you know. I received two of them.

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505
    Scammers are usually very good at what they do. Sometimes it is very difficult to spot. The best advice I have is assume all emails are scams, and contact your provider directly, by a phone number not in the email to confirm there is a issue.
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited November 2015

Actually some scammers also know how to make their email address "look" real too ... so now that it has been said what to look for, still be even more careful.

Not on by default, but one needs to get the "full headers" to show the address trails ... there used to be [haven't looked recently] several online places to run that through and immediately get the source email address that originated the scam. In doing that, one website owner was quite surprized to find that his servers were being used to send out spam, but once notified the issue was fixed pronto. Another scammer got his pants scared off when we started sending them emails ... apparently they do not all realize that YES they can be found out.

Post edited by patience55 on