Using only Daz Studio, can I "split" a model/figure?

I am working on a scene where a creatures rips the glass door/roof off the top Skyrider vehicle (check out the model here). The door is a separate mesh and appears as a selectable object parented to the car (the door is hinged/rigged so it can open and close).

I am aware that I can export the door as an OBJ and then merge it back into the scene (I did that, and the materials moved over perfectly, too). I may even take it into another app and bend it a little bit, maybe even split it in two for a more dramatic scene).

BUT, I was wondering, is there a way (I hope I explain this correctly)  to remove or reparent the glass in Daz Studio? I mean, the object is there in the scene list, is there a way to move it out from under the Skyrider, or delete everything else but the glass?

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited November 2015

You might find it most straightforward to take into your favourite package; I send it via bridge to hexagon, then select all the geometry you don't want and move is somewhere else - a long way away (below the floor level, begind the camera etc); then send it back and it's a morph.

Using the morph, moves the geometry. I know in blender one can scale geometry so it all inhabits the same area (iirc as it has been a while) - that might work if whatever you use has similar.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Thanks. I use Strata 3D to edit my meshes (or a very old copy of Lightwave). So, I guess there's no way to do it directly in Daz Studio, then? I'm not surprised, nor am i upset. As I said, I got the OBJ export to work exactly the way I needed it to.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Thanks. I use Strata 3D to edit my meshes (or a very old copy of Lightwave). So, I guess there's no way to do it directly in Daz Studio, then? I'm not surprised, nor am i upset. As I said, I got the OBJ export to work exactly the way I needed it to.

I thought you could from the materials editor, but I have DS 4.8 on my mac here and I cant find where it is.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

Thanks. I use Strata 3D to edit my meshes (or a very old copy of Lightwave). So, I guess there's no way to do it directly in Daz Studio, then? I'm not surprised, nor am i upset. As I said, I got the OBJ export to work exactly the way I needed it to.

I thought you could from the materials editor, but I have DS 4.8 on my mac here and I cant find where it is.

Geometry Editor

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

Fortunately I  have the  product , then yes  you can remove  mesh, then keep it as new prop (or figure)

or re-parent the window node (with assigend mesh) too keep it as one figure.

To  just remove some parts then make it new prop , you only need to use  geometry editor.

As your case,   select window (or only glass without hinge parts) mesh by geometry editor,(material group or face group may help you to select parts you need only) then "invert selection" , after that, "hide selected surface" at last, "remove hidden surfaces".

Now you get new Figure with glass mesh only.   you may need not keep it as figure (with  nodes) then  select new figure (eg name as CarWindow). From top menu>Edit>Figure>Rigging>"Convert FIgure to prop". it remove un-usable nodes. and change it  usuall prop(obj)

I think,  You may need to use joint editor, to adjust pivot points of the prop (start and end points of base nodes) for your purpose , then save it as new prop.

And If you just change the nodes (window) parent , with keep the car and window as one figure. there are two ways.

If you keep it as poser type figure, (the SkyCar is cr2 I think, ) you may need to use Figure set up tool. (I can not tell all well as you understand easy)

But  If you change the Car(figure)   as DSON compatible weight figure, (triax, general,etc) first,you only need to use joint editor, then select window node, re-parent the node (wiht mesh) as you like.

In daz studio, Delete poligons and make prop or new figure is easy, but I can not divide two parts from one figure (or obj) at same time, in daz studio. (Usually other modelor easy divide mesh then make two new objs) I needed to use three duplicated Skycars, to get window prop, frame prop, and Carbase(keep it as figure) if I just use daz studio.

skycar.PNG
    1090 x 758 - 277K
  • kitakoredaz: Thank you VERY much for the detailed instructions. I'll try it and let you know how it goes.