Render Speed Question

So I recently bought a new computer and was hoping that the upgrade would speed up rendering time with 3Delight, but so far it seems only slightly faster and I'm not sure if that's normal. My old computer had an I7-4790 CPU @3.60 Ghz with 16GB of RAM. My new computer has an i7-7200 CPU @ 4.00 Ghz with 32 GB of RAM. So my question is, should this upgrade provide a noticible improvement in my render speeds with 3Delight? Or am I doing something wrong? The settings and everything are exactly the same, I'm rendering the same thing on one computer as I am on the other just to see if there is a big difference.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

I'm not finding an i7-7200, is that correct?

• Sorry, it's a i7 6700k

According to cpubenchmark.net the 6700K is a bit faster, 9% higher score, so I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference.

• So, what kind of processor can really improve my render times? I'm not even making scenes that complex and my settings are pretty low, 1.0 shader rate, textures arent too high, 1980x1080 resolution, 0 ray tracing. I have 32 GB of ram as well.

What sort of render times are you getting?  Those are pretty high-end CPU's, especially for their price.  There are some i7's that are 20-30% faster in that price range, but most CPU's that are significantly faster than those are $1000 and up.