.rib files? 3de vs rendermanpro?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

ise still confused.  i save my final draft ds scenes to rib file, then render it in 3de stanalone - idisplay.

i went to the renderman pro page, says is .rib file.

what the differance between renderman and 3de?  aside from rendermanpro commercial isnt free.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Shaders...

All the shaders, at minimum, would need to be recompiled for rman.  And for most of them, it would take a lot more than that.  The divide between the two has grown, kind of like the divide between Studio and Poser.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thanks.  guess is time to give up on renderman and leave it for the maya crowd.  looks so good on fur.  envy.

I've tried and there are just too many things that need to be done to convert the shaders...

In some ways it's worse than going to Iray, because the shaders almost work...but there are differences that make them fail, sometimes in unexpected ways.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2015

It's possible someone could make a bridge like Reality or Luxus to convert the shaders and export a recompiled RIB, and it woudn't require require running out and buying proprietary hardware to use it.

it works in Blender too.

Post edited by StratDragon on

One of the problems is that there aren't equivalent shaders, already in rman's way of doing things for the base surface shader so it either needs to be translated (which means available source code) or a replacement built.  Same for things from Shader Mixer like AoA's SSS shader.  Without that, it's basically using less than 10% of Rman's power.   And you'd have a feature set similar to the OpenGL renders...

With a compatible set of shaders, it shouldn't be too hard to bridge the gap...in fact a couple of my experiments with the old, simple rman shaders worked directly, but anything with more complex shaders and lights was an abyssmal failure.   Plus Renderman is now doing less and less 'old school' shaders.