How do I copy my custom content categories to another PC?

BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

I read on the forums last week how one can better organize their content in categories and have began doing so. However when I go to my other PC (having my content on an external drive to use on multiple machines) I notice that the custom categories I had created (as in screenshot) does not reflect in DS on my other machine. What file do I need to copy to tranfer this without having to redo it manually on the second machine ?

Untitled.jpg
415 x 573 - 30K
Post edited by Bobvan on

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

I bet it's in the database...which is why I stick to using the file structure myself. You would need to migrate the database as well I assume. 

• On the machine with categories go to the Content Library pane and open its option menu - the lined button in the top corner, or right-click the tab. Select Content DB Maintenance. Check export User data, then click Accept.

On the other machine, open the same dialogue and check Re-Import metadata then click Accept. In the next dialogue you want user data checked and the products unchecked (assuming they are in their default categories - if not you may want to reimport that data too) and click Accept.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited November 2015

Ok Ritch that all makes sense. Just confirming that the user data I exported is saved to my external drive where my content is? This is mostly for V4 and poser files.

I guess I should mention I am doing this due to not using smart content or DIM. Does this get affected in 4.9?

Edit just ran a test by re setting the database on my current machine which set them back to default then re imported my custom categories worked like a charm. Thanks again!

Re edit just tested on machine 2 flawless!

Post edited by Bobvan on