Semi-OT: Blender 2.76b Features

mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

It's been a while since I looked at the latest Blender, so I thought I'd take a look...

There's quite a few

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.76

A few pop out...viewport performance enhancements, FBX and OBJ import/export features, OpenSubDiv, absolute grid snapping...and many more.

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    mjc1016 said:

It's been a while since I looked at the latest Blender, so I thought I'd take a look...

There's quite a few

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.76

A few pop out...viewport performance enhancements, FBX and OBJ import/export features, OpenSubDiv, absolute grid snapping...and many more.

and about a dozen rendering options that don't require us to buy proprietary hardware,

big fan of that.

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    mjc1016 said:

I download the nightly build at least a couple of times per month smiley. Don't forget to follow what is brewing in the pot about the 2.8 series, the first hints are mind boggling. 

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633

We've had obj export since 2009 at least, when I joined the market.  I'd be happy if they'd fix the Collada import/export, though.  Last time I tried it it was pretty bad at anything to do with small bones imported from DS.

They still haven't given back my full-figure weight map copying.  I have to keep an ancient pre-2.5 32 bit copy for when I want to use that feature.  This is very relevant with Gen 3 and clothing, more than ever before.  The version in the weight map editor sucks unless you want to painstakingly copy every single weight group one at a time.

It looks like they're still concentrating on in-engine rendering and animation rather than facilitating export.  I've always felt this was narrow-minded, but as long as they don't bork my modeling tools, I'll be good.  I'm curious to see how the edge offset and face flatten features work.  Those might be nice.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

We've had obj export since 2009 at least, when I joined the market.  I'd be happy if they'd fix the Collada import/export, though.  Last time I tried it it was pretty bad at anything to do with small bones imported from DS.

They still haven't given back my full-figure weight map copying.  I have to keep an ancient pre-2.5 32 bit copy for when I want to use that feature.  This is very relevant with Gen 3 and clothing, more than ever before.  The version in the weight map editor sucks unless you want to painstakingly copy every single weight group one at a time.

It looks like they're still concentrating on in-engine rendering and animation rather than facilitating export.  I've always felt this was narrow-minded, but as long as they don't bork my modeling tools, I'll be good.  I'm curious to see how the edge offset and face flatten features work.  Those might be nice.

Full obj emissive property support and supposedly some optimizations or something.

FBX is improving...and there is a different Collada importer..."Better Collada' that works well in 2.74 and 2.75.

Edge offset, face flatten and the absolute snap to grid..all sound good.

• We've had obj export since 2009 at least, when I joined the market.  I'd be happy if they'd fix the Collada import/export, though.  Last time I tried it it was pretty bad at anything to do with small bones imported from DS.

Yes, some functions and plugins for 2.49 never got transferred when the interface got upgraded.  Still, considering how much so many other features have improved, there's always hope that eventually more of those older features will get ported.  I do wonder at the emphasis on rendering movies since it is very difficult to make money on animated short films.  Gaming, however, is potentially more lucrative to the small studio with the talent to pull it off.  Import and export to game engines makes more sense to me than some of the other features that have been added, but in the end the software as a whole is quite powerful considering the price.  ;)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    daveleitz said:

but in the end the software as a whole is quite powerful considering the price.  ;)

At almost any price...