No facial hair for M5?

MoonshadowMoonshadow Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am working on a project portraying Native Americans and would like to use the Genesis M5 figure for some of the scenes. However, Native Americans typically don't have facial hair and the realistic textures for M5 tend to show some stubble which does not work so well. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to use the M5 figure with no facial hair? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Maybe use a V5 one, with no makeup?

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Using M5 doesn't actually restrict you to an M5 MAT, you could switch to any of the other Genesis UV sets, allowing the potential use of not just Genesis, but M4 (and V4) skin textures.

That would make Shaman http://www.daz3d.com/shop/shaman-m4 a possibility.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited August 2012

There are a couple of M4 textures for Native Americans, provided either you don't need to use the genitals, or else are comfortable positioning the M4 genital figure on Genesis.

Falcon - http://www.daz3d.com/shop/falcon-for-m4 and Quinn - http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/quinn-m4/88660

I know Quinn is shown with facial hair, but his smooth faced version doesn't have any stubble.

Also Ryuu - http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ryuu-international-m4-and-genesis works pretty well for Native American characters

I'm sure there are a couple more out there as well.

Granted, you'll have to dial up the face morphs yourself, but the textures will work fine on M5/Genesis

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Ohia by Morris, while really low on options seems to have a smooth face and is made for M5:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/people/men/ohia-for-michael-5

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

PS: Cho, could you let the programmers know that if you select the Genesis filter option that Ohia is excluded! He is made for Genesis after all and is not included in that filtered search!

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Also, facial hair does depend somewhat on which group of Native Americans we're talking about. Natives of the Pacific Northwest such as Athapaskans, Haida, and Wakashans do tend to grow light beards, like the ones Ryuu has--even if they're full-blooded. Some Muskogeans like the Creek would also grow light facial hair, but I'm not sure whether or not this was true prior to their heavy mixing with European settlers.

• MoonshadowMoonshadow Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for the swift and varied responses. The appearance I am seeking is for the Iroquois, which are a group of the more easterly tribes. Certainly there is some variability amongst the numerous native peoples, but I think the pure Iroquois have little or no facial hair.

I am still learning Daz Studio and the Genesis figures, so my attempts are probably not optimal. When I load in M5 and try to apply the V5 textures, they don't seem to match the anatomy of the M5 face very well (eyes and lips are a bit off). I get the same effect with M4 maps. Are there any tutorials on how to make this work?

The closest I have been able to achieve is with the basic Genesis male. It seems to be using an M4 texture for Jeremy. Very young looking and smooth, but then I don't have all the morphs of M5, so seem kind of stuck with a very young looking character with little variation between individuals. I have Photoshopped the M4 Jeremy texture onto the M5 map and tweaked it to match up fairly closely. I then apply a semitransparent colored layer to get the reddish skin color and tone. If there is a better technique for achieving this, please feel free to pass that along.

I do need to represent quite a few individuals (visual storytelling) and will be using almost all the DAZ males from M2 – M5 in various settings. I do appreciate the work that has been done with M4 Shaman, Falcon and Ethnicity for Genesis, but they do show some facial hair in close ups. Ryuu International for M4 and Genesis and Ohia for Genesis look very promising, although the Asian facial features aren’t usually as prominent in the eastern tribes (my opinion).

So again, thanks for all the input. It is awesome having so many resources so readily available. Now I just need to figure out how to best use them all.

• Alley RatAlley Rat Posts: 390
    edited December 1969

With Genesis selected, select View->Tabs->Surfaces. Search for the UV Set dropdown (toward the bottom of the list if I recall correctly), and choose the figure for which your applied texture set was originally intended. You will likely need to do this after applying any MAT pose, even if the new MAT pose is for the same figure. It (the UV setting) goes back to Genesis with each change.

Thanks so much for the swift and varied responses. The appearance I am seeking is for the Iroquois, which are a group of the more easterly tribes. Certainly there is some variability amongst the numerous native peoples, but I think the pure Iroquois have little or no facial hair.

I am still learning Daz Studio and the Genesis figures, so my attempts are probably not optimal. When I load in M5 and try to apply the V5 textures, they don't seem to match the anatomy of the M5 face very well (eyes and lips are a bit off). I get the same effect with M4 maps. Are there any tutorials on how to make this work?

The closest I have been able to achieve is with the basic Genesis male. It seems to be using an M4 texture for Jeremy. Very young looking and smooth, but then I don't have all the morphs of M5, so seem kind of stuck with a very young looking character with little variation between individuals. I have Photoshopped the M4 Jeremy texture onto the M5 map and tweaked it to match up fairly closely. I then apply a semitransparent colored layer to get the reddish skin color and tone. If there is a better technique for achieving this, please feel free to pass that along.

I do need to represent quite a few individuals (visual storytelling) and will be using almost all the DAZ males from M2 – M5 in various settings. I do appreciate the work that has been done with M4 Shaman, Falcon and Ethnicity for Genesis, but they do show some facial hair in close ups. Ryuu International for M4 and Genesis and Ohia for Genesis look very promising, although the Asian facial features aren’t usually as prominent in the eastern tribes (my opinion).

So again, thanks for all the input. It is awesome having so many resources so readily available. Now I just need to figure out how to best use them all.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

With Genesis selected, select View->Tabs->Surfaces. Search for the UV Set dropdown (toward the bottom of the list if I recall correctly), and choose the figure for which your applied texture set was originally intended. You will likely need to do this after applying any MAT pose, even if the new MAT pose is for the same figure. It (the UV setting) goes back to Genesis with each change.

Also there is a small lock symbol on top of the UV map (and other places) if you click on that so that it is "locked" it will keep the UV map setting the same, even when applying multiple texture maps.

• MoonshadowMoonshadow Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, this is so helpful and so much easier than I thought it would be. Currently working with the default V5 texture map on M5 figure with the skin color controlled via the Surfaces tab with a locked diffuse color and all is well. I will just need to keep playing with this to get comfortable with making variations, etc. Thanks again.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited August 2012

Glad to hear you got it working. You might consider picking up Jerome, since it's on sale today (for four bucks!). Not specifically Native American, but I think it could work. I do own this product and can recommend it, especially at its current price: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/jerome

He has various facial hair options, including a clean-shaven look (the last promo pic shows this).

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • ZaarinZaarin Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Ah, yes, the Iroquoian tribes did tend to be smoother, though they are another group that intermixed pretty freely with white settlers (which is pretty much the case for most Eastern Woodland tribes, who were under a lot of pressure to assimilate). Oh, and Falcon does have a smooth option (I believe he loads with a scruffy option), and it's probably worth mentioning that even Native Americans and East Asians (who tend to have less body and facial hair than other ethnicities) will still have a little facial and body hair; the "shaved and waxed" look you see in a lot of movies is generally meant to heighten sex appeal rather than be historically accurate. ;)