Exporting FBX to Poser: Help Please :)

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
edited December 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Hya, just fiddling with poser 11, Carrara's new plugin....

Fenric mentioned that Car 8.5 did a good job of exporting FBX, but when I tried exporting FBX from Carrara and openingit in Poser I just get a whole lot of crumpled meshes.

Any suggestions welcome in making the method work.:)

this is the window with my choices  and here are the results :0

I have tried grouping everything in the scene and selecting the group and exporting it.

I have tried just saving the whole scene as an FBX.

I get the same result with all of them.

thanks in advance :)

aaa.jpg
468 x 596 - 38K
aaaresult.jpg
1120 x 1000 - 50K
Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

most of the new programs need at less fbx 2012 now to work well

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    bigh said:

most of the new programs need at less fbx 2012 now to work well

Hmm, that's interesting. Fenric tells me it works quite well from Car 8.5 . He must have a secret ingredient ;)

• Sorry I don't have a link - I just dived in to offer this:  Autodesk has a free FBX Converter program.

As the name suggests, you load in an FBX file and select from a drop-down list which flavour of FBX you want to export.

thank you Marcus, will try that and let you know :) I wonder which flavour I want :)

• Ah, you're right there at the moment!

I'm sorry I don't have a clue!  It has been a long time since I used the program on a different computer.  I seem to recall that there was an FBX viewer which MAY have been thrown in also - I don't remember if I installed that separately.  Perhaps you might see if flaws are exported from Carrara?  (I hope not). 

I only just bought Poser 2014 a few weeks ago, so haven't gone for the new version.  I'm still a novice with it.  But I hope you get what you're looking for.

thanks Marcus, me too :) 

I am downloading the top exe in this list, I think that's what I need . I'll let you know!

cheers

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=24746731&siteID=123112

on second thoughts I think its the sdk  for developers?

• I think you have the wrong link.  I got this very quickly on a search:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909

thanks Marcus :) I;ll check that out!

• That was a quick search to save you downloading too much but I noticed 2013 in the title.  I wonder if there is something more up-to-date?

ah I'll do a time limited search with google and see :) thanks again!

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

Looking this page http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775920 it seems that the 2013.3 is the latest they are showing but the unreal engine folx were talking about a 2014 but I couldn't find a converter only thing they talked about it being in max an maya.

thanks Milo :) !

Hi all , well tried the autodesk converter. Still no joy. Thank you for all the answers and suggestions :)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

not what you want but did get a FBX from C8.5 in load in DS and iClone

hope it help some one

• bigh said:

not what you want but did get a FBX from C8.5 in load in DS and iClone

hope it help some one

I have been doing that since C7 & iC4 cheeky

but DS only collada works and is iffy

• FenricFenric Posts: 351

I said I had it working nicely with Maya 2012 :)

I was hoping for great things with Poser 11... and I've been disappopinted - Poser 11 is a bundle of bugs right now: I get a pterodactyl instead of Aiko 3 when I import an FBX

edited December 2015

:

Thanks for clarifying Fenric, my apologies, I obviously misread this :

This is the biggest reason I wanted to go with Poser 11 - it finally has FBX import/export! I've done a few small tests, and it seems to be working well.

Once they get the REST of Poser 11 working, there should be a MUCH easier pipeline between Carrara and Poser, since Carrara's FBX is really quite good as it uses the official Autodesk 2012 SDK. (Granted, this means it works as well as Autodesk's own applications do - so don't expect it to work any better than shuffling things between Max 2012 and Maya 2012).

edited December 2015

Yeah, I spoke way too soon on that one. Anything more complex than a ball goes to spaghetti. :P

Put it up in RDNA now, too - we'll see if it works for anyone at all.

Edit to add: Maya 2016 still opens Carrara FBX with a warning about there not being a default pose - Poser's doing something wrong.

Post edited by Fenric on

Fenric said:

Yeah, I spoke way too soon on that one. Anything more complex than a ball goes to spaghetti. :P

Put it up in RDNA now, too - we'll see if it works for anyone at all.

Edit to add: Maya 2016 still opens Carrara FBX with a warning about there not being a default pose - Poser's doing something wrong.

thanks for doing that Fenric,

never realised poser in past didnt have fbx

looking forward to the results

cheers from oz

edited December 2015

ran a simple test today

exported Andy from poser 11 as an FBX ,

reimported andy fbx file into Poser - seems to work well 

try importing same file into Carrara 8.5 - gave garbled Andy

then:

exported a dressed k4 from Carrara as fbx,

reimported this same file into Carrara - gave garbled k4

imported same file into studio - gave garbled k4

maybe Carrara 8.5 is, in some way,  the culprit after all ?? as it does not even import its own fbx files without trouble

Hm. I did not get that error: K4 out and back in again worked fine.. I always use the "7.1" option.

Are you on a Mac? Does it do the same thing if you use Text instead of Binary?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

See? These are the sort of topics I was running in to when I first started looking for a modeler that worked with Poser-style content.

I'd see a few success-like stories, but nothing promising. The LightWave community seemed to have had the most progress, but I think that was because they were the ones who were actually trying. Maya and Max folks would just laugh and say: Why would anybody want to do that? sort of thing. I must havwe given them some good reasons, because they seem to have been trying ever since.

So once I've found Carrara, I've tried to simply exclude myself fom the world of back and forth between apps. Instead, I use Poser to make files that I can click on in Carrara, like PZ2 and CR2 files, and whatever those expression files are called. I did (and do) realize that this meant that I'd have to give up on my dynamic cloth experiments, which were really getting pretty decent - until I saw that script plugin. I never cared for Poser's dynamic hair. Perhaps I just never got used to it.

Fenric said:

Hm. I did not get that error: K4 out and back in again worked fine.. I always use the "7.1" option.

Are you on a Mac? Does it do the same thing if you use Text instead of Binary?

Hi Fenric, good ole PC. I'll start from scratch and sit down and do some run throughs with the different parameters abnd see what happens.

"pbbbbbttt" at Dart! :D

Usual recommendations: Group the figure and the clothes together into a single group, which should be at the root. Have the group selected when you go to export. Try not to export from a scene with too much else in it (Carrara's an old dog, and gets confused easily)

- Do not parent the clothes under the actual figure in any way. (Never parent conforming clothes to the figure they are conformed to, ever. In fact: it's best to not parent rigged things into the tree of other rigged things. Props are OK)

- FBX seems to work best if frame zero really is "zero" - zero'd pose at the geometry's default location. I have not had trouble with morphs, but that might depend on what figure you use...

edited December 2015

righto thanks for that, I have experimented as saving the scene  as FBx , grouping everything in the scene and exporting as FBX, so many variables, I get easily confused :)

thanks for the recomendations, will work with those

cheers!

PS Dart, Poser has Poserfusion, for other programs not Carrara ......  http://my.smithmicro.com/poserfusion-plugins.html

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Right. But does it export them in a way where we could actually use the morphs and such within the destined software, or would we need to do that in Poser?

Either way, I don't think they had that then. Not ripping on Poser, just sying that I was super glad to have found Carrara - where I can do everything right within the one app.

Hi Dart, don't know anything about them :)

I love carrara, my weapon of choice, but to stick with one software for everything isn't to my mind, the best course for what I need.

I'm not interested in photoreal - as you know.

So poser as a plugin for carrara offers a working cloth room. Most of my Carrara renders suffer because the clothes look like they are fake - even as pseudo hand drawn images so  I end up painting in the cloth wrinkles in post.

Poser also has a workable sketch renderer which can make amazing images - given time and patience - whereas Carrara's is like working with stone tools

Poser has  real time comic preview.

As far as I know it does not have layer passes - which is one of Carrara's big strengths for me.

so to have a solution where I can use both Carrara and Poser to render out the same scene, or go seamlessly between the Poser cloth room and Carrara would behandy for me personally.

Ironically there is a chap over at Renderosity who has just finished a  cloth room substitute for Poser. He is trying to get it to work with Carrara but needs a few of our people to help him.

I posted about it here but with little response. The first post about it (by somone else) was 1984d because it linked to the thread about it.

Ironic because a cloth room external plugin that linked with Carrara would be an amzing boone.

But anything that sheds limelight on Carrara detracts from Studio , as you know.