Why don't pins work on Genesis 3?

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited February 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have a system for posing. I pin the feet and get the footing. Then I pin the hands ad position them. Then I position the hip and pin that. Finally I position the head and pin that. This has been my workflow since Victoria 4. Never had an issue and I know the limits of the pins very well. I know how to disable limits, I know how to double pin to prevent slight movement. I use these pins extremely frequently. I pose entirely with Active Pose and pins.

I say this to stress and make it very clear that what I am explaining did not ever happen with V/M4, G, or G2F/M.

On Genesis 3 when I pin things and use Active Pose the pins act kind of like a weak suggestion rather than the absolute I'm used to and is ruining my experience trying to adapt to the new model. This is especially obvious with hands and feet, and the effects seem to be stronger the closer the object you're moving is towards the pins.

Just to make sure nobody is confused, I mean the red thumbtacks you get when pressing space after selecting a body part with the Active Pose tool (selecting it from a menu will not allow you to engage the pins with the space bar). I do not mean Locking and Unlocking. This seems to be a pretty big confusion with people for some reason, based on my fruitless googling.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091

This is a cross post from a thread I made in the commons that nobody has responded to:

I have a system for posing. I pin the feet and get the footing. Then I pin the hands ad position them. Then I position the hip and pin that. Finally I position the head and pin that. This has been my workflow since Victoria 4. Never had an issue and I know the limits of the pins very well. I know how to disable limits, I know how to double pin to prevent slight movement. I use these pins extremely frequently. I pose entirely with Active Pose and pins.

I say this to stress and make it very clear that what I am explaining did not ever happen with V/M4, G, or G2F/M.

On Genesis 3 when I pin things and use Active Pose the pins act kind of like a weak suggestion rather than the absolute I'm used to and is ruining my experience trying to adapt to the new model. This is especially obvious with hands and feet, and the effects seem to be stronger the closer the object you're moving is towards the pins.

Just to make sure nobody is confused, I mean the red thumbtacks you get when pressing space after selecting a body part with the Active Pose tool (selecting it from a menu will not allow you to engage the pins with the space bar). I do not mean Locking and Unlocking. This seems to be a pretty big confusion with people for some reason, based on my fruitless googling.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited February 2016

Yes you are right. At least, As for me,,  it is not only about genesis3 fgiures.

daz Pin and posing system for genesis generation figures actually have defect about pin system.

though I understand, how these pin and each posing tools work alraedy,,, then change tool for each case,, with setting,,

But  it is fact that,  DAZ have not offered  real pin and IK system for DAZ studio.. it always have pointed out by user.

then most of user,, may not talk about it much,, when some user ask about DAZ pin sysytem ,and IK. in forum.

it is simply because,, we know the tools are not good, but after all,, it is DAZ to improve these tools.

and DAZ  know user have complained about pin and IK.

Then,, today I test same thing with Active pose tool..  I actually suprised because as you said,, about genesi3 ,

the Active Pose  tool with pin not work anymore.  before,, I often use active too instead of pose tool with pin when I really need to "pin" some node with translation. though it is not real IK,and we can not mix using with pose tool,, after pin of Active pose tool,

but at least it could pin node translation about genesis1, and genesis2.

have you already send bug report?   It seems back ward moving,,  many user not hope it at all.

(because we have already problem about DAZ posing tool,, no need more backward about posing system,

from genesis1, 2, for  new generation figure genesis3)

Post edited by kitakoredaz on

I have not submitted a bug report, but I will. I wanted to verify it wasn't a problem between the keyboard and chair.

If you send support ticket,, I hope you discribe Forum link in support ticket too,,,because  I add picture,, which can easy check by support

for not ask you each detail again and again..

I think,, the key point is,, Active pose tool and pin,, at least  have worked  for gen2 and gen1,

, but about gen3 it can not work at all. (almost same with pose tool and pinsad )

ActivePose.PNG
    789 x 546 - 186K
    ActivePose2.PNG
    1017 x 672 - 200K
    ActivePose3.PNG
    1166 x 735 - 208K
    ActivePose4.PNG
    1120 x 825 - 250K
  • Merged duplicate threads and moved to Daz Studio Discussion which would seem the logical home. Please don't bump or repost - if you think your thread is in the wrong place ask a mod to move it.

yes Will do, thanks Richard

• I seem to remember Genesis 2 having that exact problem right after it was released.  Obviously it was addressed eventually but it took a little while.  I wonder if it has something to do with the seperate twist bones that G3 has.  The skeletal upgrades between generations seem to be breaking active pose. 

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

pins never worked right on feet

you always get shaky feet

sometimes you just see this when the render is done

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    edited February 2016

I tried this method just this am for posing V7 in a setting. Everything was really wonky and not as smooth as videos I have watched. I thought maybe it is just me since I am new to all this. I decided to search in the forums for some answers. I may experiment with a G2 person since I also have the morphs for them.

Thanks for the thread. I will try to keep up with it.

Post edited by Liana on

sorry but pins do not work at all

with no character

• Ruphuss said:

sorry but pins do not work at all

with no character

While one might wish for a diffrent behaviour, it is not true to say that pinning does not work at all.

ok nearly not at all

i tested them a lot and gave up long time ago

not much useability

if there werent the scripts from mcasual i would not try animating in studio

ok thats the point

they do not work for animating

just posing may be ok

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I have not submitted a bug report, but I will. I wanted to verify it wasn't a problem between the keyboard and chair.

LOL

I too have those problems, but agree that the pin system doesn't seem to work as it would say in Blender; it's been a while since I used IK in Blender so my memory could be faulty - a case of keyboard and chair issue.:)

No No NO cool

I can not say, DS Pin is OK at least for just posing.   the reason why we need pin is for posing easy with Accuracy.

Of course many pose vendor offer good professional pose, then maybe we can do it with daz pin and DAZ offered tool only.

but if someone like DAZ pin than icone or blender or Ikinema etc,,  I hope DAZ offer another Pin too

for those who hope pin just fasten pinned node.  no need slightly or shake move.  it is not supposed when I posing with pin.

usually when I pin some node, I close up another node for posing.  do not expect, when I tweak another node,

the pinned node slightly move, or shaked. 

• Hmm, 

And I thought it was just me that couldn't work out how to use pins.  This is not the experience I remember with Poser some 15 years ago.   I remember that the rotational limits would exceed before the pinned node would move and even so if a part could not move beyond a certain range because of locking, it wouldn't, the mouse would drag but the node wouldn't.  Which made sense to me.

This current system does not.

So are pins broken or do they just work in a way that no one expects? 

Mark