Tank Tops & Undershirts Collection [commercial] [Store Sale Today!]

2»

Comments

• Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 428
    edited September 2012

This has been one of the most dangerous store sales this month... I mean, how could I resist the shirts? And once I had the shirts, how could I resist the other stuff on my wishlist? *g*

Also, my characters love them! Thank you for making some lovely, lovely clothes. :D

[Can't spell]

alex-milos-shackles.jpg
    450 x 540 - 72K
    Post edited by Pax Asteriae on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Flipmode said:

Pt2: 394mb

One suggestion for the future: make the TIF files PNG instead, and then run them through optipng (or ImageOptim if you're on a Mac) to squeeze them down to the smallest possible size with no loss. TIF files tend to be fairly inefficient, and the PNG gives you the same lossless 16-bit capability that TIF does.
  • FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 894
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dogz, Kachi and cwichura!

@Kachi
    You know...when I do stuff I of course have a purpose in mind (or, more exact, I most likely project what I would do with it and think that`s what customers will do).
    I can`t say I ever saw an elf, blonde, in shackles, jeans with a cut-off tank top coming ;)
    Much thanks for this ;)

@ cwichura
    Thanks for the tip & link, already grabbed it.

• DogzDogz Posts: 898
    edited September 2012

Just to add, many thanks for the adjustment morphs like to to fit pants (and skirts) in your set. A few flicks of your dials and I can use your tops with pants and leggings from two of my own sets.
    I know that these are quite simple to create yet make the product infanately more usable - so its annoying when vendors over look them.
    But you didnt - so thanks :)
    Im playing with now and its a great set with plenty of options for customization. very good indeed. :)

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

Oh, thanks for mentioning the morphs, kinda forgot to have them on the features list ;)
    Glad to hear they work well with your sets, I am sure the styles mix very well! We both seem to like jeans =)

edited December 1969

As an example of the how much space can be reclaimed by using optimized PNG files instead of TIFFs, I took the first TIF file from this set, opened it in Photoshop and did Save As PNG. I then ran that PNG file through optipng with the options "-o7 -zm1-9". The results:

C:\Temp\Downloads\t>dir *a01*01*
     Directory of C:\Temp\Downloads\t

2012-09-15  04:49 PM         2,279,812 FMTT_A01_Folds01.png
    2012-08-30  12:28 PM        21,221,240 FMTT_A01_Folds01.tif
                   2 File(s)     23,501,052 bytes

So the PNG file is about 1/10th the size of the TIFF file, and 100% lossless compared to the original TIFF. It's still 16-bit, but optipng recognized it is grayscale and optimized the PNG storage into grayscale format. This still works fine in DAZ/3Delight and in LuxRender.

Fair warning, "-o7 -zm1-9" is the most exhaustive search option to optipng, so it takes a while to process even on fast machines. But as a final stage when preparing a product for ship, I think it's worth doing. It also helps a lot on all the thumbnail PNGs that products have, since those often half alpha layers that aren't needed and optipng will also recognize this and automatically remove the alpha layer as well. (It removes the alpha layer when the entire alpha layer is set to 100% opacity.)

edited December 1969

Thanks, looking good.
    I didn`t get to test it yet, but I`ll certainly give it a try next time. As long as it keeps the displacements clean I am all up for it.
    I am optimistic though, you sound like you know what you are talking about. ;)

edited December 1969

Yes, it will keep your displacements clean. It's not doing a lossy compression like JPEG. PNG files are lossless, the optimization that optipng is doing is trying all the different deflate compression options to find the one that results in maximum size reduction, again fully lossless. It also does things like determine if extraneous data can be removed, or if the image can otherwise be simplified to reduce its size before it does the deflate compression search. So, as mentioned before, it will remove the alpha layer if the alpha layer is 100% opacity for all pixels (which is what you get when you have no alpha layer present in a PNG). It will determine if an image is grayscale (r=g=b for every pixel) and reduce it to grayscale format if so. It will also determine if an image has <256 unique colours/shades of gray and reduce it to palette mapped. And so on.</p>

And all those intelligent reductions still work just fine with rendering applications reading the file in. They read grayscale/etc images just fine, and that's all you need for displacement or bump maps. Normal maps will, of course, always be colour and not grayscale. But optipng can still find the smallest possible file size for you.

When I install new content, I always install it first to a temporary directory. I then run optipng and jpegtrans on everything it contains, check to insure the directory structure is correct (it amazes me how much content comes with whacked directories) and then finally copy it into my production library installation.

(jpegtrans does a similar search for the best lossless compression to use for JPEG files, like optipng does for PNGs. It usually reduces jpeg files 1-10% in size. optipng often does much more than that, since most PNG writers do minimal search (assuming they do any search at all and aren't simply hardcoding deflate settings) because they want to be fast and not keep the user waiting when they save the file.)

edited December 1969

cwichura said:

When I install new content, I always install it first to a temporary directory. I then run optipng and jpegtrans on everything it contains, check to insure the directory structure is correct (it amazes me how much content comes with whacked directories) and then finally copy it into my production library installation.

Man, you must have a tiny HD ;)

Nah, seriously, why do you go to such great lengths?
    Sure, small textures are nice and all, but I can`t even remember when I last ran out of memory or HD space. And my Psds for clothing items are usually 1+ gig :/

edited December 1969

My content library is several hundred gig and I tote it around on a laptop that only has a 500gig HD. Desktops are easy to put terabytes of storage on; laptops not so much. I also enable filesystem compression on my content library, since all those cr2s, etc are text and compress really well. Plus, it's the principal of the thing... :) I'm old school; I remember my 110 baud modem and how I thought I was a speed daemon when I upgraded to 300 baud...

But in the case of the TIFs used in content, they usually can result in hundreds of megabytes saved if the content creator had used PNGs instead. That's significant, even with terabytes of storage.

edited December 1969

Hehe, oki, got it ;)
    I doubt my content library has more than a few gig yet (never bothered to actually check, except for the work stuff, it`s quite messy).
    But well, I haven`t been here that long, let`s give it some time.