RAM Usage for Bryce Files... is there a limit?

At this moment I am replacing a gaming computer, but I am not a gamer. Rather, I am a hopeless Bryce addict (Brycescaper, DUH LOL). Is there a top end size for file size the program can handle, or is the file size limited to available RAM? I make complex scenes using figures from Victoria 1 to 6, Genesis1-3 imported from DAZ|Studio. So if I replace my recently deceased 16GB system with a 32 GB system, will that increase the potential file size?

On my old system I could fit seven Millenium/Genersis figures into a scene (I import them and save them in preset libraries, my scenes are party/beach/resort oriented). Take a look at my gallery to get a taste of what I do with DAZ figures in Bryce. The lights and atmospherics of Bryce make it the end destination for all my 3D files, I don't cheat with photoshop postwwork, everything in the scene is real 3D, tinted, lit and HDRI, which is why the file sizes are so incredibly huge.

If I were to expand to a 32 GB system, would I be able to put even more in the scene? Right now my biggest .BR7 files are just under 600MB, and open to 1.2 GB scenes. With a 32GB system, would that increase to potentially a  1GB .br7 file unpacked to 2GB?

Comments

• BrycescaperBrycescaper Posts: 148

Also, to up the ante, does Bryce use flash drive memory in its files? With 32GB onboard RAM and a couple of 128GB flash drives, oh myyyyyyyyyyyyy.....

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited April 2016

Unfortunately Bryce is a 32-bit application, with the associated tiny memory limits.  Do a search of the forums for more info and a number of threads discussing this in detail.  Normally I think you would be limited to 2GB, but if you make use of something like Large Address Aware I think you can get around 3.5GB, (potentially with some instability, although it's been working well for me).   So you weren't able to use most of the RAM you previously had, and more will not help at all (although of course it may help you with things other than Bryce.

Here's one thread that may have more info for you:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8086/bryce-7-1-and-out-of-memory

Post edited by sriesch on

Thank you. My conclusion is that because of the limitations of the program, even using LAA, a 32 GB PC is a waste of money if it won't even utilize 16 GB. I notice a lot of Bryce users have been raising merry hell about getting Bryce to release a 64 bit version for the last four years and longer. Why isn't anyone listening? I know DAZ is excited about breing in the Hollywood loop now, but they do have a responsibility to improve and not abandon their other products.

Like the redneck girl says, can I get a HELL YEAH!!!!! ?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,965

There is a long thread in the Bryce section of the forums about Bryce upgrades and the desire to continue it seperate from DAZ Studio as opposed to a plugin.

Not a word that anyone has posted about about whether Bryce will be upgraded.

• ThorThor Posts: 43

Don't feel too bad... Bryce was created on and for Macs (I still have my copy of Bryce 1.0 - "New Worlds Explorer")... and it won't even run at all on current Macs.crying

I've got to reboot into Mac OS X 10.6.8 to run Bryce 7.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Thor said:

Don't feel too bad... Bryce was created on and for Macs (I still have my copy of Bryce 1.0 - "New Worlds Explorer")... and it won't even run at all on current Macs.crying

I've got to reboot into Mac OS X 10.6.8 to run Bryce 7.

I think that was because of no Rosetta no more ... on the other hand: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/31075/mavericks-bryce-is-back-o/p1