Marshian Light Projection System for Iray

So I'm trying to use the Marshian Light Projection System for Iray.

I'm not sure if i'm using the product correctly...   I've followed the instructions and used the parented camera to aim where the lightrays and projection should aim.

But I don't think I'm getting the correct results.  It's probably cause I'm not using it correctly.  

Also at the end of the cone...  (in the corner of the window on the last image) you can see were the cone ends

Does anybody have any screen shots of how this product is properly setup?  Here are some of my screen shots.

*Just a side note...   I used a distant light on the first couple images to see inside the cone.  But then turned it off when it was time to render the image.

MarshianLight1.jpg
1426 x 875 - 171K
MarshianLight2.jpg
1426 x 875 - 122K
MarshianLight3.jpg
1426 x 875 - 111K
MarshianLight4.jpg
1449 x 1007 - 335K

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Not having the product, I'll take some guesses. First a projector is just that. It's used (in rendering and in photography) to project an "image: onto a subject and/or backdrop. The image is often reffered to as a GOBO since it goes between the light and the camera/subject.

So, what image are you trying to project? The product demos show both gels (different colors) and images such as the tree adn skyline shadows. Your images don't show any projected image. As for the cone showing, I think you just need to get the terminus of the cone outside of the camer'a view.

If you're still trying to backlight the figure, just put a spotlight behind the figure and adjust the cone to not show to the camera.

• DanakinobiDanakinobi Posts: 13

Fastbike1...  I was trying to create an image like the one bellow.

MarshianLight5.jpg
    696 x 901 - 93K
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,460

Hi! This is our product and I'm here to help.

It looks like the projector is scaled/enlarged and thats not needed for this situation but its not directly the issue, its too close to the Deco Room prop. Load a new projector, load the preset (gradient eleven crop is the blue circle) and do a test render. To show the rays as in the last image you posted you will need AtmoCam for Iray. In the attachment below the projector was not moved or scaled from the default position- no adjustments were made other than applying the material preset.

If you'd like both the blue circle projected and the rays you will need to put the projector behind the window.

hope this helps, I'm watching this thread now and can answer questions. There is also a commercial thread for this product that has more information: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/73357/marshian-light-projection-system-for-iray-commercial#latest

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 7.40.51 PM.png
    456 x 352 - 131K

Thank you Marshian...   

I will give that a try...   What if I want the rays to come through the window? Do I put the projector the opposite direction as what you have?  Like in the image from my second post, with the ship?

Yes, transition it around and point it through the window. Keep the same amount of distance from the room.

Well, I've tried several attempts to get the light to shine through the windows and also generate some volumetric/atmosphere lighting.

I even deleted the room and undeleted it to see if that would help.  But no luck.   

However, I can get a projection if the projector is in the room.   Just not coming in from the windows.

I've attached some images.   The first one is of the project in the room.   

The second is with it outside, pointing in through the windows.  (no effect)

HarmonyIray.png
    1432 x 881 - 3M
    HarmonyIray2.jpg
    1432 x 881 - 1M
    HarmonyIray3.jpg
    1876 x 1016 - 298K
  • JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758

Check the "windows" settings and play with the settings... try hiding them completely...

It may be hitting the window, and stopping, as windows do not actually "project" through. (You are not projecting actual light, you are projecting an image. It is a "trick", that the special camera can extend on, by drawing fake-rays, along the projection path. However, if it hits any surface, that is where it stops projecting, as it has now hit a surface. Glass being translucent will have no impact on a projection, it will not even reflect back off, as it is not actual "light".)

Have you tried turning-on caustics or architectural rendering options? That usually calculates the extra "refractions" and "reflections", as well as extending the "light-casting" through translucent/transparent surfaces.

I'm thinking that too JD_Mortal. Did you hide the bone for the window (win_gl)? Not even trying to mess with the glass surface settings just turn off the glass completely.

Could you load a similar set that maybe has a door where this window is (back wall)? Leave everything else where it is.

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 9.12.04 AM.png
    167 x 195 - 13K
    edited May 2016

Ok, I have some answers. First of all- see attached to know this will work. This was tough to diagnose because there are a few very subtle things happening that are working against it. The main thing to remember over-all is that the rays are subtle- all settings need to consider that.

• Darken the room color
    • turn down any ambient light or make sure the projector is the only light source
    • turn up the projector spotlight lumens
    • change the atmocam sphere/volume to one of the heavier/thicker settings
    • then do a render just for the rays that will be combined later in image editing program
    • Edit/Added: With the spotlight coming in at this angle shadow/light rays from the thinner window frames will not be very easy to see. Most likely it will be the thick spaces between the windows and the over-all shape of the window that will cast rays.

so that you still have the sunset color your main render should have to Marshian Projector on but you will need to adjust the brightness.

You might want to save a separate scene with all of these adjustments that is just for the rays.

make sense?

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 9.55.04 AM.png
    465 x 466 - 474K
    Atmocam with Marshian Projector.png
    900 x 692 - 1M
    Post edited by Marshian on

OK.  Thanks for the tip and instructions.   I appreciate that.

It's a little more work than I was hoping for.  But it's nice to see that it can be done.

I was kinda hoping not to have to composite the shot...  But if that's the only solution for Daz...  It is what it is.

Thank you again.

Yeah it can be complicated getting all of those to play nicely together.

The second image I've attached is not a composite. It can be done but it will have a different feel than the target image you posted.