SubD Edge weight / creasing ? Beta Testing ?

Hi,

Wanted to ask if there's a way to turn on or control the SubD edge creasing strength on an imported model ?

I found info on how to select edges and crease them inside Daz, but all my modeling is already done with SubD and edge creasing. I've read that I should be able to import an FBX into Daz and the imported weight values should work in Daz... so far SubD works, but I can't find a slider or anything related to using or tweaking the weight/edge crease values, not in the same spot where the SubD options are anyway...

Any help would be welcome...

Also, I'm working on bringing some of my props and designs over to Daz and was wondering how people usually handle the 'beta testing' of new content. 

Just give the items to someone else in the community to test ?

The content would be costumes for figures, weapons, gear, misc props and later on SciFi and Fantasy environments.

Finished texturing the first piece today, only 99 more to go!... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6427480/DAZ/BarbHelmet.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

As far as there being a control for the edge crease/weight...I don't think there is one. 

For the beta testing...yes, ask for some and provide details about what you want...general testing, packaging, etc.  Then you usually supply the folks you select with the files (most often dropbox or google drive...).  You can set up what restrictions you want and so on...

• StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 764
    mjc1016 said:

As far as there being a control for the edge crease/weight...I don't think there is one. 

For the beta testing...yes, ask for some and provide details about what you want...general testing, packaging, etc.  Then you usually supply the folks you select with the files (most often dropbox or google drive...).  You can set up what restrictions you want and so on...

Okay, thanks mjc.

After some more testing, it looks like I just need to multiply the strength of my edge weights by x10 to have them look the same in Daz3D.

I'll just do a quick script to make those changes automatically on the FBX when I export from modo.

About the beta testing... I'm completely new here so still a bit confused... do I ask in the forums I imagine ? Is there a section for that that I haven't seen ? ...set up restrictions ?

Thanks for the help!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,960

I've found FBX carries edge weights across from modo (80x) successfully, though my models were fairly simple (and I haven't done any modelling at all for over twelve months). SubD does need to be reapplied, but that was the only quirk.

edited May 2016

I noticed that regular SubD needs to be reapplied, whereas Catmull Clark SubD will load up as SubD in Daz, which is nice.

Have you found that the edge creasing you had done in modo was represented properly in Daz, or didn't test that much ?

The edge weights are all there for me in Daz, they're just too soft which is why I have to do a x10 multiplier on them on export atm.

I use Catmull Clark SubD in modo wich does crease stronger than regular SubD, but even with the regular SubD I can get a perfectly hard edge in modo with a weight of 100% (60% in Catmull SubD)

In Daz, for the same edge I need an exported weight of at least 300%... 

Post edited by StrangeFate on
    mjc1016 said:

About the beta testing... I'm completely new here so still a bit confused... do I ask in the forums I imagine ? Is there a section for that that I haven't seen ? ...set up restrictions ?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, ask for testers...

Restrictions...is it an 'open' beta, or do you want 5, 10 or 15 people, what specifically you want testing done for...what you will allow done to/with the item being tested....those kind of things.

I've found FBX carries edge weights across from modo (80x) successfully, though my models were fairly simple (and I haven't done any modelling at all for over twelve months). SubD does need to be reapplied, but that was the only quirk.

I was pretty sure it carried them over, but I didn't think there was an in Studio way of doing anything with it.  That they'd need to be set before import.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,960
    mjc1016 said:

I was pretty sure it carried them over, but I didn't think there was an in Studio way of doing anything with it.  That they'd need to be set before import.

The Geometry editor tool can be sued to set and edit weights.

I don't recall an issue with the imported weights, but the last time I was using them was a long time ago - at least two years, I think, and possibly more.

edited May 2016

I haven't messed with them much, because they do carry over from Blender (depending on how you import...I don't think they are preserved with obj, but I'm not 100% on that).  They do seem to carry with FBX and when using millighost's Blender script.

Post edited by mjc1016 on

Okay, thanks for the answers guys, think I know everything I need for now!

• DrHemulenDrHemulen Posts: 81
    edited May 2016
    mjc1016 said:
    The Geometry editor tool can be sued to set and edit weights.

How do I do this? I'm trying to get this working with Z brush creasing and polygroups. I can see and select my groups in the geometry editor, but I can't find a place to edit weights.

Edit: Found an old post of Richards, I had to switch to edge mode. So using polygroups, I can just select the imported face groups, switch to edge mode and select boundary :)

Post edited by DrHemulen on