GTX 980ti Vs Titan X for rendering speeds

cheefstickcheefstick Posts: 20

Apologies in advance if this isnt the right place for this question, or if this has been discussed a lot already.

Im fairly new to Daz and have completed a few renders on my system at home, with a GTX 970 and i7 4790k - and liking what I see so far.

My question is in the title I guess [GTX 980ti Vs Titan X for rendering speeds}. One thing id like to improve is the rendering time and was wondering if people could offer any experience

between the two? Is it just as simple as - the Titan has double the Vram, so its faster when it comes to renders? How much difference does

it actually make? If it was just for gaming id go 980 all the way, but this is really going to be for Daz and (hopefully zBrush) going forward.

Edited to add subject to body of post

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    edited May 2016

I belive the general consensus is that the main deciding factor is the number of CUDA Cores and IRAY render performance increases pretty linear with the number of CUDA cores so you can calculate the performace increase easly yourself. (2816 vs 3072)

Main difference is the VRAM. With 12 GB you can render almost all complex sceens  even with 10+ Characters (i belive). While 6GB are allready nice and should be sufficient for a lot of things you might need to fall back to techniques like layering for very complex scenes.

Post edited by Renomista on
  • cheefstickcheefstick Posts: 20

Thanks very much for the reply, I thought this may be the case. Better get ready for some empty pockets for a while!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Speed-wise, tough to measure due to CUDA cores, as stated above.

This relates to cards from the same generation though; it is not as reliable using Cores from different generations.

Personally, I'd wait for Pascal cards due any month now.

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    nicstt said:

Speed-wise, tough to measure due to CUDA cores, as stated above.

This relates to cards from the same generation though; it is not as reliable using Cores from different generations.

Personally, I'd wait for Pascal cards due any month now.

Yes very valid points!

Regarding pascal cards: Even if you don't want one it might be worth the wait to see if the old generation lowers in prices or even get a used one when the Hardcore Gamers update and sell the old ones on ebay...

• The Gtx 980ti and Titan X are very close in rendering speeds. There is more than just cuda core count that comes into play when rendering. Many Gtx 980ti's have higher clock speeds which closes the gap between it and the Titan X. In reality other than the vram if your 980ti is one that is clocked higher than stock such as 1190mhz+ then it will be identical and sometimes slightly faster than a Titan X. However, Titan X has 12gb of vram vs 980ti's 6gb. Another way to look at this is you can get 2 980ti's for a bit more than the price of 1 TitanX. If you dont need the extra Vram then the 980ti is probably the best way for you to go. Its hard to say at this point if pascal prices will actually cause maxwell (900 series) cards to drop at all. Traditionally this usually wont happen. As maxwell cards no longer are produced they continuouslly rise in price. This happened with the 700 card series in the past. No one can tell you right now how much faster pascal will render or any true technical specs since all the specs are rumors on tech sites. Nvidia will eventually come out and tells us what the specs are and when the cards will really release. Getting your hopes up now on rumored specs may only disappoint in the future.

Thanks for the replies. I was aware that Pascal was around the corner - but as CrystalBox says - You never know if it will actually affect the price at all and also, high end cards in the new architecture would probably cost a shed load early days (at least come at a premium). Anyway I ended up buying a Titan long story short. 2x 980s (although sounding amazing) would be a bit too much, money-wise - and id also have to buy a new PSU to run that.

Thanks again.  

Update - got the card yesterday and a simple scene went from taking 2hrs to 11mins! Not sure if the 980 would be a similar speed, but im certainly very happy with that.

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited May 2016

What was your previous card? How much did you end up paying for the titan? I might get one myself if its reasonable. Vur what kind of motherboard and power supply would you need to support such a card?

Post edited by Angel on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Update - got the card yesterday and a simple scene went from taking 2hrs to 11mins! Not sure if the 980 would be a similar speed, but im certainly very happy with that.

I did a side-by-side test of my old iMac (3.2 GHz i5, cpu-only) and my new Windows box (EVGA 980Ti, gpu only). The render time went from 58 minutes down to 4:50 (78 seconds setup, 212 seconds render). Obviously my scene is different, but if render times are scalable, that suggests that performances may be similar.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

And the new cards are here.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-pascal-gtx-1080-1070,news-52929.html

I'd still wait, but as the 1070 is expected to be faster than the Titan X, it is worth considering as a stop gap until the new Titan, or Ti appear.

What was your previous card? How much did you end up paying for the titan? I might get one myself if its reasonable. Vur what kind of motherboard and power supply would you need to support such a card?

Previous card was a GTX970. The card was about £850. Re the PSU, the box suggests 600w. I already had a 750w. Re mobo, unsure what you'd need but I have an MSI Z97 G5.

lol, yes saw the news about the 1080 and 1070 over the weekend. I knew it was coming and im still happy with what I have but....those stats! - 'double' the speed of a Titan and half the price?? If the benchmarks are accurate (which we'll only really know once they come out) - then that is an utterly bonkers price to performance ratio.

I did a side-by-side test of my old iMac (3.2 GHz i5, cpu-only) and my new Windows box (EVGA 980Ti, gpu only). The render time went from 58 minutes down to 4:50 (78 seconds setup, 212 seconds render). Obviously my scene is different, but if render times are scalable, that suggests that performances may be similar.

Another thing I forgot to mention, was that whilst the render was completing, I had about 10 browers tabs open and was watching a youtube video at the same time. It didnt even flinch. Might see how it copes with some video editing thrown in at the same time. From what I hear though the 980 is very very close to the Titan, with the Titan only clinching it in the most demanding scenarios.

• Serefina_MoonSerefina_Moon Posts: 106
    edited May 2016

If you've got the PSU for it, I can vouch for the performance of an SLI install with two identical cards.
    I'm still 'only' on a GTX470OC,.. my damn 1200w power supply went and died on me, had to pull the second GPU out of the PC with the spare PSU I've got in there now being only 850w, and the difference in performance is startling - I hadn't realised how much better SLI is then a single card alone, even on my five year old i7-950.

Bonus for me is, that PC's running an X58 mainboard, so I could go triple SLI for kicks later, and with the launch of the Iray Server product, an old PC can go join the renderfarm when it's retired.

The performance of dual 9-series GTX GPU's is something I can only dream about at the moment.

Can't complain about the combo of Win7 / i7-950 / X58 / GTX470 - Resolve Lite from Blackmagic does wonders to our short film footage when the Cuda cores are used for colour grading instead ;)

Post edited by Serefina_Moon on
  • jurajura Posts: 50
    edited May 2016

Hi there

Regarding GTX Titan X and 980Ti this depends on more factors,but Titan x can better if yours scenes are big,difference in performance,that's subjective good GTX 980Ti can be OC very easily with right cooling,you can or you will gain a lot in rendering speeds,not sure how this is translated to IRAY,but in other engines such as Octane or Cycles OC will gain you faster render times..

Just biggest pain with Titan X is,they're run hot and they're noisy beyond 45% of fan,due this I went on mine with EVGA GTX980Ti Hybrid kit,with this my temps when I do render are in as max 50C and fan profile for EVGA Hybrid is at 850RPM,for Titan X is pain to get this EVGA Hybrid kit,but this EVGA GTX980Ti Hybrid Kit will fit GTX Titan X without the problem,just recommendation I would use good tools,don't trust cheap tools from poundland or pound shops and replace fan for better and quieter fan something like Noctua NF-F12 or BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 

And regarding new "Pascal" series,I would wait on actual tests as previously,people has been bit dissapointed when GTX9xx series went out and in Octane render they're been slower than GTX780,previously I've run Titan X with GTX780 and this has been probably best combo for me,one Titan X is not slow,but running two cards like Titan X with something like is GTX780 or Titan Black or even older Ti and you have winning combo there

Here is mine how it looks 

Hope this helps there

Thanks,Jura

Post edited by Chohole on
  • jurajura Posts: 50

If you've got the PSU for it, I can vouch for the performance of an SLI install with two identical cards.
    I'm still 'only' on a GTX470OC,.. my damn 1200w power supply went and died on me, had to pull the second GPU out of the PC with the spare PSU I've got in there now being only 850w, and the difference in performance is startling - I hadn't realised how much better SLI is then a single card alone, even on my five year old i7-950.

Bonus for me is, that PC's running an X58 mainboard, so I could go triple SLI for kicks later, and with the launch of the Iray Server product, an old PC can go join the renderfarm when it's retired.

The performance of dual 9-series GTX GPU's is something I can only dream about at the moment.

Can't complain about the combo of Win7 / i7-950 / X58 / GTX470 - Resolve Lite from Blackmagic does wonders to our short film footage when the Cuda cores are used for colour grading instead ;)

Hi there

If you are still on X58 then I would swap i7-950 for something like is Xeon X5670 or X5650,those CPU will fit yours motherboard,I've run for while X58 like with Asus P6T SE,Asus P6T and Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and few others,with those Xeons you will have 6 cores and 12 threads and you can run up to 48GB RAM,I've run on mine 40GB without the single issue and those CPU run lot cooler than i7,I've OC mine up to 4,2GHz very easily,in colder days I've run 4.4GHz,in hotter days 4.2GHz has been my best result

Regarding SLI,for rendering you don't want to have enabled SLI,most fo the times you need to disable SLI,I've run mixed combinations of GPUS like is GTX Titan X with GTX780 or even with AMD GPU

this one has been based on X58

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura