Consolidate where geometry is located? 4.8 DIM to 4.9 cloud

Now that I have little break in production I'd really like to settle this.

The 4.9 threads are pretty extensive (and I have looked) but maybe I dont know what to call this. In switching from 4.8 to 4.9 and didn't change any install paths. I still have tons of content in the data folder and have been installing through Smart Content for a few weeks now so there is quite a bit in the My Daz Connect Library. How do I (or should I) consolidate these two folders? Is there a way to migrate the content? There was probably even some of the same content that I installed through both (DIM and Smart Content).

My goal is to not having anything doubled up and be able to see and allow product updates (Smart Content Tab/Updates). Or does this happen in the background now?

I dont know if this helps but:

• I haven't noticed any of the regular product updates in DIM or Smart Content
  • Currently the DIM shows a wide mix of ready to download and installed
  • I still get warnings when DS opens "A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established" but I can still connect and install
  • using a MAC

So hopefully someone like you can just paste in some links here to get me started. Thank youuuuuuuu

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,001

Connect should copy the files isntalled by DIM wheer they match those on the Connect servers (note that uncompressed .dsf/.duf files won't match - also note that in my experience it isn't working for textures). However it will leave the DIM isntalled files alone, you would need to uninstall them youself afterwards. Having a mixture of DIM and Connect should not be a problem, however - I would suggest keeping the DIM until there's an update, then switch to Connect for that product.

• Marshian said:
    How do I (or should I) consolidate these two folders? Is there a way to migrate the content? There was probably even some of the same content that I installed through both (DIM and Smart Content).

The Connect Library and Content Library can't be consolidated. Connect installed content can only be stored in the Connect Library "cloud" folder system and DIM or manually installed content cannot be put there. The only way to have all your content in one of the systems is to uninstall them from one and reinstall in the other. As you are likely to have a fair amount of non-Connect installable content, the only viable option would be to uninstall everything from Connect and reinstall in Content Library (although there are a handful of Connect only products which can't be installed anywhere else so you would be stymied if you have those).

However there is something of a compromise in the current beta of Studio (which I assume will become standard when it becomes the release candidate). In the beta, your Connect installed products are reflected via virtual folders in Content Library and you can browse and load the content from there. In effect it looks like another "runtime" (in the way that we already have Poser and Studio "runtimes"), so it's not a complete consolidation.

Another option is to create links to all your Connect installed content in My DAZ3D Library although that would be a bit tedious (I think there are improvement for doing this in the current beta, too).

I understand the annoyance of this but I think it's something that can't be helped if we are to have Connect installation. Personally I like it very much and if you use Smart Content then it doesn't matter that the content is stored in different physical systems—although I have to say I still do prefer to use Content Library for some things, even Connect items (I'm using the beta so this is possible for me).

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,460

Thanks Richard and Hiro- I can move forward here. There is just a few items that were installed twice—maybe I'll let that go if I cant find them easily.

I haven't seen any product updates since updating to 4.9, I used to see this every week or so with 4.8/DIM and dont know if that happens automatically now. I'll look into that.

Updates to Connect-installed products will appear in the Updates install state filter at the bottom of Smart Content>Products tab when you are connected.

I get these pop-ups on start-up (attached below). The final one says I'm connected and I have been able to install content but regular checking on Smart Content > Products > Updates Tab for several weeks now has not shown anything. What do you think Richard?

4.9 connected or not?.png
    1004 x 200 - 96K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,442
    edited May 2016

Here is an illustration of how to find updates for your products in Daz Connect.

How to find Daz Connect Updates.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 293K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited May 2016

Its good to get confirmation on this set-up barbult, I have been using this configuration for a while now. More puzzling!

Should I look into connection problems, CMS, or MAC specific next?

Edit/Added: Some highlights from the log file:

WARNING: /src/sdksource/cloud/dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): recv failed errno=54
    WARNING: /src/sdksource/cloud/dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): peer performed orderly shutdown errno=0

*** Scene Cleared ***

Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4 on x86_64-apple-darwin, compiled by i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.9.00), 64-bit
    Creating Authentication Manager...

*** Scene Cleared ***

Could not activate Publishing Partner Features evaluation. Plug-in disabled.
    Error writing author data!

WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRT:RENDER):   1.1   IRT    rend warn : Your NVIDIA driver API 'libcuda.dylib' cannot be found. All GPUs will be disabled.

WARNING: /src/sdksource/general/dzcontentmgr.cpp(1333): Existing directory encountered while adding a content folder: /Users/marshian

A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established.  Several DAZ Studio features that require a valid PostgreSQL CMS connection, such as context aware content views and loading content installed using the Daz Connect service, will not be available.  Check your network, anti-virus, and firewall settings for conflicts.

Updated metadata for 1 of 3 items.

Post edited by Marshian on

Do you have the postgreSQL database installed? Up to 4.9 DS was willing to work with Valentina, though PostgreSQL has been the recommended version for some time.

I have it but dont know about Valentina or need for a conversion. A reinstall of PostgreSQL CMS 9.3.4 (64-bit) didn't help.

postgreSQL database installed.png
    495 x 424 - 66K
    postgreSQL database Ready.png
    632 x 229 - 47K
    PostgreSQL CMS MAC Location.png
    555 x 292 - 83K

The conversion tool will (attempt to) convert your Valentina database (if you have one, and subject to its not being corrupt) to PostgteSQL format. If you go to DAZ Studio>Preferences do you have a tab, after the Content Library tab, labelled CMS Settings?

edited May 2016

Yes and using port 1024.

labelled CMS Settings.png
    594 x 106 - 22K
    CMS Contents.png
    358 x 439 - 96K
    DAZ Content Management Service.png
    957 x 259 - 102K
    Post edited by Marshian on

If you open postgresql.conf, about half-way down the file list in your screenshot, in a text editor and search for port is there a line

port = 1024

The file I have for postgresql.conf, located in DAZ 3D/cms/ContentCluster, was last updated on June 14 2014. When I search that file for "port" two results came up:

#port = 5432                # (change requires restart)
    port = 17237

Does this help?

Yes, change

port = 17237

to match the setting in DS

port = 1024

and save, then open DS. I think that should be the fix.

I was very hopeful but this seemed to have no effect. I also reset data base and reimported metadata. Still nothing showing in Smart Content>updates.

This route got rid of the connection error (MAC) and brought results to Updates/Pending Tab in Smart Content:

1. uninstall Daz Studio and the PostgreSQL
    2. Then go to Application Support\DAZ 3D\ and delete the cms folder completely. 
    3. Once you have done that,go to: Applications/DAZ 3D/and delete the DAZStudio4 folder. 
    4. Now, reboot your computer and re-install Daz Studio and the PostgreSQL.
    5. Then open Daz Studio and re-import metadata.

This got rid of some files in the plugins folder, not sure what that means yet.