DS 4.9 keeps "forgetting" my serial numbers

Hi there,

Anyone else have this problem with DS 4.9?

Every so often, maybe once a week DS4.9 suddenly decides its forgot my serial number. It connects and verifies the number and life should go on.
However I then have to spend half an hour going on the website trying to input the serial numbers to the plugins!

This "bug" is annoying and I'm honestly thinking that 4.9 is the time in every softwares run when the developers get too clever and make a complete hash as I've never had so many problems from DS1.0 until now! I guess Daz finally created the their own version of Vista!

I would have thought that is 4.9 can connect to the website that somebody would have at least bothered to put in code so it can automatically get your serial numbers for plugins as well as the program itself - duh!

Regards,
A very frustrated

Steve C

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,447

What operating system and security software are you using, and exactly which version of DS (Help>About DAZ Studio)?

• ScoopeyScoopey Posts: 190

The OS is Windows 10 64 bit - I have DS on two computers and the same bug occurs on Windows 7 64 bit

Kaspersky internet security

Version DS 4.9.0.63

Internet security updates twice a day and the bug surfaces at random - I've  had it twice in the same week but normally its about once a week. I would have though somebody in their infinite wisdom would have put code in so when I connect to my accout it would fill in the missing serial numbers but that logical addition was not bothered with - yet the program will find its own serial number!

4.9.0.63 did have some issues, though I don't recall the serial number forgetting. Still, it may be worth trying the current Release build (4.9.1.30) or the beta (4.9.2.55).

I wonder if its worth the risk - as far as I'm concerned 4.9 is in fact a step backward. Takingany newer variants might make the problem worse.
    All the way up until 4.8 I was quite happy doing my renders. Daz then "jumped the shark" and "rushed" 4.9 into service so that it could have encrypted content and now I have an issue with it every other week. Sometimes I feel I must be nuts buying from their store when I have so many problems with the actual "engine".
    I hope when 5.0 comes out Daz takes time to pause and think and maybe release something that is far more stable because I know I am not alone with having issues with 4.9 and I'm not afraid to voice them on social media - if I can praise Daz for doing great things and persuade others to go to the Daz camp then they can have the negative publicity as well for a rushed product.

While issues inevitably showed up once 4.9 was exposed to the broad base of users that doesn't mean it was rushed - and for the most part the additional updates have fixed the major issues. I realise that doesn't help you with your issues, and I do suggest you open a support ticket to report the serial number problem, but it is never the less true that 4.9 had been tested before release as in previous builds.

Hello there,

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having continual issues with 4.9 that they never experienced with any other version of Daz studio.

For six months the tech department tried and eventually cured a Postgre issue and for three months they have tried fixing another issue whereby DS "forgets" it has been registered and resets all the plugin serial numbers.
    I thought it had been fixed two weeks ago but its come back twice and these types of continual bugs are starting to try my patience.
    I have never encountered bugs of this magnitude since the first version of Daz Studio and have continually praised it on social media but it would seem my faith has now gone into crisis since DS4.9 came out (and current 4.9.2 has these issues).

Any suggestions other than forget Daz studio and move to Poser?

Well the postgre issue was fixed and the serial number issue went away but two weeks later its back! And this is on DS4.9.2.

I try not to be negative but is every time I got in my car I had a 50/50 chance it might not start then I'd eventually think about a replacement....same thing goes here. As soon as the bugs appear to be gone they come back when one least expects it....All I want to do is some bl**dy work! Now I got to fill in my serial numbers AGAIN! Talk about non-stop frustration.

Anyone have any major issues with Poser as it looks like I'm going to have to jump ship until perhaps DS5.0 comes out!

• You aren't running DS as admin (that is, right-clicking and selecting Run as Administrator, not just running normally from an admin account)?

edited June 2016

Threads merged. If you wish to move this to Daz Studio Discussion you can do so by editing the first post and changing the forum from the drop-down.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126

I'm wondering if you've got some scurity process that is clobbering the file Studio keeps the authorizations in. Richard - which file is this? Is it one of the files in c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\daz 3d\studio4?

Its not run or installed as admin.
    The errant file is dzloadplugins.dsx
    I am so well versed in having problems with this bug I know exactly where it is.
    The security thing might be an issue if the bug did not happen on two unrelated laptops running two different OS, Windows 10 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit.
    Also if the was a permission problem I'd have thought it would do this each time you load DS or more importantly each time after the computer is rebooted, that way you clear any cache in the memory. However I shut down the laptop each day and use DS almost every day yet this bug might surface once every four or five days.

It was suggested that a registry fixer program could cause this issue but I ended up disabling that and the bug came back, besides the registry fixer is not on my Windows 7 laptop which still has this problem.

On both machines I have plenty of programs yet none have issues so there must be something DS is doing or not doing at random. I even sent the dzloadplugins.dsx file to the tech department and was told the plugins were registered and the very next day DS reset everything!