Creepy Hollow by Bluebird3D help

when I purchased this product I couldn't load the full preload it on my laptop as it would basically freeze up ( not enough ram/power?) Last night I loaded it up on my new system with a 6 core processor, 32 GB of ram, and an Nvidea geforce 970 video card, and altho it will load the preload and renders quickly in iray, it still jerks around when I am trying to move the camera into position and takes a long time to refocus on the image.  does anyone have any tips on using this set?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited May 2016

Are you, by any chance, using the Iray preview mode on the full viewport?

If so, try using one of the others...like Texture Shaded.  Iray in the full viewport is extremely resource intensive.

imageupload68.png
    253 x 284 - 16K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

No just using texture shaded which I do most of the time, I very seldom use the iray preview at all as it just drags

• StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 775
    edited May 2016

I don't know the set and I'm no expert in Daz Studio... but these problems are common enough with 3D content in any app so maybe something here may help:

I would make sure that your new machine's power plan is not set to power saver, it can be balanced or anything beyond that, but power saver has always slowed my machines down. I imagine it limits the CPU power during wake hours (even if it may say it doesn't in the plan) which in turn causes a bottleneck for the GPU, slowing it down too. You wouldn't notice the difference during regular computer usage, but things that require performance would suffer.

Things you could try within Daz (sorry if you already tried these) would be looking at the set in wireframe mode, if anything has a very dense wireframe, that could be the problem.
    Compare texture shaded vs. untextured viewport performance, that may give you a clue whether the geometry or the textures are the problem, too.

Depending how the set is built, I would turn all it's parts off in the viewport, so they're not visible, then turn them on 1 by 1, moving the camera around and see if there's a specific item that's causing the problem. If you find a specific offender then you can look into it more in detail, or leave it off.

I'd also make sure that no item in the set is using a high SubD setting, maybe select everything and make sure SubD is off or set to a low 1-3 value for viewport and rendering. SubD can make your Geo very expensive, and hmm... I don't think Daz shows the changes in the wireframe (?) so you wouldn't be able to tell unless you look at the SubD setting itself. Only the tires in the set would really benefit from SubD from what I see, but if the other stuff didn't help, worth a look...

Post edited by StrangeFate on

I know it's not set to power saver, when I get home I will check to see what's it's called but it's the best setting, I will try out some of the tips you posted and see if any help, thank you very much

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited May 2016

I don't have that set, but after a quick look at the promos, my suggestion is: hide the grass.

That's a heck of a lot of geometry to re-render every time you move the frame, and things will go much faster if you hide it until you're ready to render, That's if it's a single prop (or a group of props) with real geometry. If the grass is made from instances, there's a setting in Parameters for each instance called "Preview Instance" (or it might be "Instance Preview"). Turn that off for all the instances, and they'll disappear from the viewport (making it faster), but they'll still show in the render.

Post edited by TangoAlpha on

I don't have that set, but after a quick look at the promos, my suggestion is: hide the grass.

That's a heck of a lot of geometry to re-render every time you move the frame, and things will go much faster if you hide it until you're ready to render, That's if it's a single prop (or a group of props) with real geometry. If the grass is made from instances, there's a setting in Parameters for each instance called "Preview Instance" (or it might be "Instance Preview"). Turn that off for all the instances, and they'll disappear from the viewport (making it faster), but they'll still show in the render.

Thanks I will check that out, I hope I can get it to work better as it's a very nice piece of work and also bought it a long time ago so can't return it now even if I can't use it.  I guess if nothing wlse I can use the different props with other sets that don't stress out my machine