Graphics Card for iRay

Probably the stupidest question anyone has ever asked on these forums, but I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway.

Would the new NVidia 1080 graphics card be "great" for iray rendering, with these specs to go along with it:

Intel i7 6700K CPU (overclocked to 4.6ghz) 

16GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM

NVIDIA GTX 1080???

Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 MB

750W PSU

Not sure if you need all of those, but thought I would include them just in case

Comments

• No dumb at all. I am trying to build a system for my 2 sons who are majoring in game design and production. They are using Maya, IRay, MudBox, Reality, etc. and I wanted to know the same thing. I admit that I have no expertise in this area but I hope the consensus is that the new 1080 will be great for these products. Right now, they are having to wait extremely long times for the various projects they are rendering.

• callumlulzcallumlulz Posts: 43

No dumb at all. I am trying to build a system for my 2 sons who are majoring in game design and production. They are using Maya, IRay, MudBox, Reality, etc. and I wanted to know the same thing. I admit that I have no expertise in this area but I hope the consensus is that the new 1080 will be great for these products. Right now, they are having to wait extremely long times for the various projects they are rendering.

I've done a little bit of research since posting, it seems that iRay isn't yet supported with the 1080 graphics card, but it will be soon.

So let me change my question for people that may answer:

Will the 1080 be great for iray rendering when it is supported?

Also, will CPU-only with a Intel i7 6700K CPU 4.6GHZ cpu be faster than or similar to my current 2GB GTX 750 ti with a i5-3570K 3.4ghz (until the new GPU comes out)

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Cpu only will not be faster than agtx 750 ti if the scene fits in the cards vram. The 1080 has more vram, higher clock speed, more cuda cores, and faster memory than a gtx 980. Sounds like a reasnable case for great.