Iray Issue (iterations) please help :) (Solved)

DrumeDrume Posts: 21

I have been rendering lots with Iray, at the default settings, and the render iterations matched the max samples (can't varify, never watched the progress details too closely), and it would take 30+ mins to render. But for some reasons now the renders are stopping between 200 and 1000 iterations after just a few seconds/minutes and everything is grainy. Have I changed something somewhere?  (max samples are still 5000) is daz broken, or worse... meee?

Post edited by Drume on

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Something I found out, iterations != samples

I can't remember what the difference is but I can deduce from what you've said that #1 you are not hitting 95% convergence (I believe this is the % of the pixels that do not change from 1 iteration to the next) and #2 you are not reaching your time limit (unless you changed this from the default and it's waaaay lower than the 2 hour default)

So you will probably have to up your max samples.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

Check the Convergence setting in Render Settings. It defaults to 95% but may have been chanaged to a lower setting.

• DrumeDrume Posts: 21

I upped my Convergence to 99.9% after reading one of SY posts. And after I just looked over my settings again (34 mins ago), I just changed the image size (made it bigger) and the conergence and now its taking forever again YAY! Thanks for your help guys :) (thanks kaotkbliss for the explanation, it suddenly makes alot more sense!!)

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

LOL usually people complain that thier renders are taking longer

LOL usually people complain that thier renders are taking longer

For perfection... I'm happy to wait :)

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Next time it happens you can always tell what stopped the render by going to the Troubleshooting Log under the Window menu. Go down to the bottom, and one of the last things it'll indicate is the setting that stopped the render.

Iterations means "a set of samples," but not total samples for the whole image. The wording is confusing. If you have it set to 250 samples, and time or convergence ratio doesn't stop it earlier, the render will stop at 250 iterations.

• Drume said:

I have been rendering lots with Iray, at the default settings, and the render iterations matched the max samples (can't varify, never watched the progress details too closely), and it would take 30+ mins to render. But for some reasons now the renders are stopping between 200 and 1000 iterations after just a few seconds/minutes and everything is grainy. Have I changed something somewhere?  (max samples are still 5000) is daz broken, or worse... meee?

I bought Space Station Living Quarters, but don't know how to render it, would you help me?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

95% convergence is usually sufficient for a good render.

Drume said:

I bought Space Station Living Quarters, but don't know how to render it, would you help me?

I don't have Space Station Living Quarters but it looks ike the promo images were rendered in iray so it shoiuld be fairly straight forward!