Marvel DC Star Wars and such

I was curious if Daz would ever make models based on the iconic characters that we all love and know. I understand that they are copyrighted material but since Daz Studio Has 2 Million downloads and the new smart content thingy that makes me have to put the same stuff in my personal library and the one you guys make for me and protects it from being shared. I think Daz should spring for the permissions and charge an extra 2 bucks or whatever to cover it. People are making them anyway,some leave a little to be desired. But imagine a really good made model of say Batman or Ironman with all the different suits .Daz would make money I along with many others would be happy and the world would be right again.Daz think about it stop being cheap and lets do this.

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

I suspect that when you say "cheap" what your really saying is "how about spending a couple of mill on the rights to a couple of characters". It wouldn't be a couple of dollars extra per product but more along the lines of a couple of thousand dollars per product. Not that I think Marvel would even do it mind you.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,359

Here is what you'd likely pay for licensed characters if turbosquid is any indication   http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/superhero/

turboprices.jpg
    1160 x 791 - 214K
  • Here is what you'd likely pay for licensed characters if turbosquid is any indication   http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/superhero/

Most of those are not licensed anyway, and have very limited usage rights as a result.

• First Bastion thank you for responding I like your stuff. I looked thru the turbo squid they had some models very reasonably priced. 20 or 30 dollars for a costume for G3 M/F could be obtained. I am spending that now. Plus the model is for Daz Studio not Maya ,3d Max or an other program then Daz. Limit the rights to non commerial use and they could do it. I don't know how much Daz makes but I quickly checked on line and it was between 5-10 Million a year. I am sure if they sat down with Marvel or DC they could cut some type of deal. I don't believe it is Millions like Khory said.

I like Poser ,I like Daz Studio it allows me to be some kind of an artist without having carzy artistic skills,it's a fun hobby kind of like collecting digital action figures.Daz could sell the stuff we want. Now First Bastion I have some of your stuff, would'nt it be nice to Make a Batcave or Xavier Mansion  not some knock off that looks like one. I for one would buy that for my own personal use. Daz has the resourses and the following to be great all it has to do is push the button and stop being cheap or scared which ever is holding them back.

• Khory said:

I suspect that when you say "cheap" what your really saying is "how about spending a couple of mill on the rights to a couple of characters". It wouldn't be a couple of dollars extra per product but more along the lines of a couple of thousand dollars per product. Not that I think Marvel would even do it mind you.

Don't know if you don't ask

Khory said:

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Way back in the days of Poser 4 there was a huge, and I mean a huge, library of DC & Marvel characters made by fans that modified Poser characters. I downloaded a few myself but their library was massive. And the characters were done in such a way as to look like they looked in the comic books. You would of really liked that site. Well, forward something like 10 years later and I decide to look at DAZ & Poser again with Unity & UE being free but that superhero website is nowhere to be found. This was before the Spiderman and other new comic book movies made so much money for those comic book publishers so they probably hired lawyers to look for that stuff and have it purged. However, that doesn't explain why then it's OK for TurboSquid to sell those characters as essentially fan art. I could see getting away with giving them away for free but selling them violates the intent of those intellectual property laws. 

• Way back in the days of Poser 4 there was a huge, and I mean a huge, library of DC & Marvel characters made by fans that modified Poser characters. I downloaded a few myself but their library was massive. And the characters were done in such a way as to look like they looked in the comic books. You would of really liked that site. Well, forward something like 10 years later and I decide to look at DAZ & Poser again with Unity & UE being free but that superhero website is nowhere to be found. This was before the Spiderman and other new comic book movies made so much money for those comic book publishers so they probably hired lawyers to look for that stuff and have it purged. However, that doesn't explain why then it's OK for TurboSquid to sell those characters as essentially fan art. I could see getting away with giving them away for free but selling them violates the intent of those intellectual property laws. 

I rember those days and the models were ok for the time. Even today once in awhile you see models out there that someone made for example Predatron an artist here made some Batman, just shows everyone how great it is.Now stuff like that pisses me off because i want it it was realy nice and I am not blaming Predatron he makes really cool stuff . i know he's afraid to distribute it because of the blood sucking lawers that are out there and he should be. But as I have said before there is no reason that Daz Studios can't get a license thru the company that owns the interllectual property and distribute the models here.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    Khory said:

Your assuming that they never have. For all we know they have researched things like that heavily.

• Khory said:
    Khory said:

I doubt it and they never had, the smart content thing before stopping the sharing of content. Poser/Daz was/is more of a artist fair type situation. Artist put up creations they made using the format that Daz Studio made. But they are in the situation now to go much bigger. If they would stop being cheap and relying on the talent of outside artist to show thier wares here.

Your assuming that they never have. For all we know they have researched things like that heavily.

LOL, trust me, if the businesses that own the rights to those characters thought they could make a lot of money selling those characters in the DAZ Store they'd been here yesterday as PAs. No licensing contracts by DAZ Productions needed.

They don't think that is the case and they won't bring them here for the pocket change the consider that market to be. Besides that, they like to control the story telling their characters are involved in and selling those characters digitally to people is indirectly telling the world others may create stories using those characters. They don't want that, that's how they make money.

No, I don't think you'll see those characters in the DAZ Store anytime soon.

Those characters, most aren't that old. You should make up you own and tell stories with them if you enjoy that.

• edited July 2016

LOL, trust me, if the businesses that own the rights to those characters thought they could make a lot of money selling those characters in the DAZ Store they'd been here yesterday as PAs. No licensing contracts by DAZ Productions needed.

They don't think that is the case and they won't bring them here for the pocket change the consider that market to be. Besides that, they like to control the story telling their characters are involved in and selling those characters digitally to people is indirectly telling the world others may create stories using those characters. They don't want that, that's how they make money.

No, I don't think you'll see those characters in the DAZ Store anytime soon.

Those characters, most aren't that old. You should make up you own and tell stories with them if you enjoy that.

I think your right, We will never see them here. Which is a shame I don't know how to make them,if i could i would. My skills are Buy, pose render, fix in photoshop and that's it. But that is what makes Daz Studio a great thing it allows a person like me who would screw up a stick figure a bit artistic. Daz your great,and Daz you suck.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I'm glad Daz doesn't have trademarked/copyrighted stuff in there store (except the one old figure) Because then I don't have to worry about wether I can use something in a render or not. I know that anyhting I get from Daz, I can use in a comic/game/digital art project.

Nothing is more frustrating than having set up multiple scenes or renders for a project, then finding out one of the items used had restrictions on it and needing to go back and rework everything to remove that item.

• I'm glad Daz doesn't have trademarked/copyrighted stuff in there store (except the one old figure) Because then I don't have to worry about wether I can use something in a render or not. I know that anyhting I get from Daz, I can use in a comic/game/digital art project.

Nothing is more frustrating than having set up multiple scenes or renders for a project, then finding out one of the items used had restrictions on it and needing to go back and rework everything to remove that item.

Yea I guess your right,I feel the same way.it's like getting Christmas gifts then having to return one. But in your situation if your making a project with an iconic character like Superman and you don't know if you can use it or not,well you are either come from a country that that doesn't matter or you have been under a rock for the past 70 years.Just saying

They do have several superhero type characters and outfits. You need only open the costume textures and change the huge. Learn a little about DAZ Studio's Surfaces and LIE Baker and make your own superhero logo emblem overlays for the DAZ generic heros in the DAZ Store.

Or make Red Sonja & Conan the Barbarian type heroes.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I'm glad Daz doesn't have trademarked/copyrighted stuff in there store (except the one old figure) Because then I don't have to worry about wether I can use something in a render or not. I know that anyhting I get from Daz, I can use in a comic/game/digital art project.

Yea I guess your right,I feel the same way.it's like getting Christmas gifts then having to return one. But in your situation if your making a project with an iconic character like Superman and you don't know if you can use it or not,well you are either come from a country that that doesn't matter or you have been under a rock for the past 70 years.Just saying

That rock has sheltered me from the rain for many-a-years ;)

Seriously though, there are so many superheroes from so many sources and really, I only know the classics from DC and Marvel from when I was younger. I wouldn't know 90% of them if they were in the store now.

• edited August 2016

someone at least has the cojones Link removed

edited August 2016

No, what was done there is pretty easy to do...the big businesses do it themselves. Compare Mr Fantastic and Plastic Man. They would have to call it Wonder Woman or make her look like an exact replica of a version of Wonder Woman to be in an serious legal trouble.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited August 2016

Don't link something like that; it contains stuff inappropriate for Daz's younger members, although when I was a kid, we found it without the benefits of 3D. :)

At least don't make it easy for them.

• nicstt said:

Don't link something like that; it contains stuff inappropriate for Daz's younger members, although when I was a kid, we found it without the benefits of 3D. :)

You could have used the Flag link to point it out to the mods.

• nicstt said:

My Apologies didn't think about the kiddies. I'm new to this.

nicstt said:

My Apologies didn't think about the kiddies. I'm new to this.

Well a vulgar term for a man's testicles should be edited out as well. wink

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited August 2016

I am curious why the OP thinks DAZ needs to officially license and sell Marvel/DC Figures when they offer content that easily enables  DS&Poser users to make "Fan Art" versions of nearly any Marvel/DC character for non commercial renders& animations.

http://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26115/superheroes-rebooted-ready-to-rrrrrender/p58

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21576/free-ironman-suit-for-michael

http://direct.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/15/74f603ddea12e3850d94d268dd72f9.jpg

GLCTUSRDNLD.jpg
    631 x 720 - 54K
    Post edited by wolf359 on
    edited August 2016

There is a set of lookalikes by smay instantly recognizable to anyone that read those comics as a kid.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • wolf359 said:

I am curious why the OP thinks DAZ needs to officially license and sell Marvel/DC Figures when they offer content that easily enables  DS&Poser users to make "Fan Art" versions of nearly any Marvel/DC character for non commercial renders& animations.

http://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26115/superheroes-rebooted-ready-to-rrrrrender/p58

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21576/free-ironman-suit-for-michael

http://direct.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/15/74f603ddea12e3850d94d268dd72f9.jpg

I am glad you asked that.

1 some of the items on the freebie list are a bit dated and not really made for the newer models so you have to sit there and mess with it just to get it right,they may not also be compatible with the Iray render engine,gen 3 models  which I prefer.

2 If something is made to be what it is ,it usually comes out much nicer. I buy a lot from Daz probably to much sometimes  but I would spend a bit more for a genuine Batman and his superfriends and not settle for El Bato and his Super Caballeroes.

3 When a talented artist/modeler does make a figure in this genre it's usually to show how great it is which is nice, but I am neither a modeler that uses zbrush,or any other 3d program then Daz or poser. I want straight out of the box ready to use models that I can use , characters that are in main stream media. Daz has made this possible for me but they are not willing to invest to bring it to the next level. There are other sites that sell things like this but they are mainly ripped from video games then converted to Daz or poser formats. Which in my opinion is bad but if you live in a country that doesn't care and you want to make a few bucks hey who am I to judge. But Daz has over 2 million downloads of Daz Studio, which is a pretty good base and I love thier content but sometimes it seems like the same thing is being done over and over again. So to answer you question as simply put as posible is Daz has the resources and should stop lurking in the shadows and stop making "sorta " like stuff .

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

"But Daz has over 2 million downloads of Daz Studio, which is a pretty good base and I love thier content but sometimes it seems like the same thing is being done over and over again"

Indeed this is true  but the PA'sare getting a bit more innovative 
    at least in the area of sci fi that interests me.

"Daz has the resources and should stop lurking in the shadows "

But Daz is also a for profit business and if they become officially licenced retailers of Starwars or Marvel Characters they will pass on the licensing cost to the $$buyers$$$.

I know Many marvel Collectors who may be willing to pay a premium for a full color 13 inch statuette of marvels "Galactus."
    but likely would not pay such a premuim for a "DAZ" computer model and have to tool about in some Figure posing application to produce "renders" of the Character as I Did with this "Galactus" Armor from ShareCG. 

GALACTUS-THE-FINAL-BUILD.jpg
    631 x 720 - 221K
  • wolf359 said:

"But Daz has over 2 million downloads of Daz Studio, which is a pretty good base and I love thier content but sometimes it seems like the same thing is being done over and over again"

But Daz is also a for profit business and if they become officially licenced retailers of Starwars or Marvel Characters they will pass on the licensing cost to the $$buyers$$$.

I know Many marvel Collectors who may be willing to pay a premium for a full color 13 inch statuette of marvels "Galactus."
    but likely would not pay such a premuim for a "DAZ" computer model and have to tool about in some Figure posing application to produce "renders" of the Character as I Did with this "Galactus" Armor from ShareCG. 

I know the galactus model well,I see you really like it. But as far as people paying a premium price I don't believe it would be as much as people think. For example if a regular model cost say 18 bucks on sale if they charge an extra 5 bucks per model and use the daz connect to elimated sharing i think they would do well. But don't get me wrong when someone make a free model I am all for it but they are few and far between. Rawart 3d put out a great Batman texture for M4 but poser is going the way of the DODO. they are not making much for it anymore. There is hardly anything for Gen 3 models if they could do it here there would be much much more.That's all I'm saying if there are people out there that want main stream media products for "figure posing applications" Daz has to step up. They are the leader in this field.

Oh one more thing how much postwork did you have to do on that Galactus,wouldn't it been nice to have something made of quality right out of the box.

• wolf359 said:

I know the galactus model well,I see you really like it. But as far as people paying a premium price I don't believe it would be as much as people think. For example if a regular model cost say 18 bucks on sale if they charge an extra 5 bucks per model and use the daz connect to elimated sharing i think they would do well. But don't get me wrong when someone make a free model I am all for it but they are few and far between. Rawart 3d put out a great Batman texture for M4 but poser is going the way of the DODO. they are not making much for it anymore. There is hardly anything for Gen 3 models if they could do it here there would be much much more.That's all I'm saying if there are people out there that want main stream media products for "figure posing applications" Daz has to step up. They are the leader in this field.

Oh one more thing how much postwork did you have to do on that Galactus,wouldn't it been nice to have something made of quality right out of the box.

I think you missed that there are a lot of us that do not want to have anything to do with Encrypted DAZ Connect content, so those would be lost sales. And it would have to stay encrypted to be effective at stopping illegal redistribution, since DAZ has said that currently encrypted content will be available unencrypted after one year.

• wolf359 said:

I think you missed that there are a lot of us that do not want to have anything to do with Encrypted DAZ Connect content, so those would be lost sales. And it would have to stay encrypted to be effective at stopping illegal redistribution, since DAZ has said that currently encrypted content will be available unencrypted after one ye

Well I hear that. But on the side of Daz there is a slight problem with file sharing.But I look at it this way if it's something you really want you'll get it no matter what form it comes in.I have bought Daz encrypted stuff the only problem I had with it was i had to make a folder in my main library for the short cuts. But I get what your saying. If you look at it the encrypted format was made for the people who don't want to buy stuff anyway they want to get it all for free. But unfortunatley if you have a company like daz that is trying to make money and for it's talented artist who make the products,it's a necessary evil to ward off thieves. Who weren't going to buy it anyway.

I corrected my earlier post, it was smay & not Slosh.

http://www.daz3d.com/super-hero-suit-for-genesis-2-and-v6

Plus now DAZ has released a set of Genesis 2 & Genesis 3 Supersuits.