Headlamp Blocker

AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
edited September 2016 in The Commons

Hi. I'm reinstalling my stuff to a new computer. I used to have a headlamp blocker prop for iray. I forget where it came from and I have a lot of files. Can someone share their headlamp blocker with me? It should just be a small file...

Post edited by Angel on

Comments

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

It seems to me that one would only need to turn the headlamp off for the rendering camera to achieve the same.

I have never understood the need for a headlamp blocker at all.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846

Shader based lights don't turn off the headlamp, so a headlamp blocker isn't just usefull for Iray, but was essential for 3Delight.

If you have the default lights and shaders pack installed then load any of Omnifreaker's Uber Area Lights (not the Base) into an empty scene, delete everything except the headlamp blocker, select the blocker and save it as a light preset.

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited September 2016
    fred9803 said:

It seems to me that one would only need to turn the headlamp off for the rendering camera to achieve the same.

It is very useful indeed. One click in my scripts pannel I can turn off all the headlamps in my scene and when working like I do. My workflow requires many camera's.

I would rather have a single button. Then have to turn off the headlamp on like 4-12 cameras one by one... It also eliminates the Perspective View ghost headlamp that you otherwise cant turn off. And I use perspective view in the preview window quite often.

Post edited by Angel on

Isn't there a render option to have all headlamps off anyway? Auto Hardlamp-never?

also, weird question. Why is does refraction weight and opacity not make things see though anymore? I dont like this update... =(

fred9803 said:

It is very useful indeed. One click in my scripts pannel I can turn off all the headlamps in my scene and when working like I do. My workflow requires many camera's.

I would rather have a single button. Then have to turn off the headlamp on like 4-12 cameras one by one... It also eliminates the Perspective View ghost headlamp that you otherwise cant turn off. And I use perspective view in the preview window quite often.

Isn't Auto Headlamp - Never a global setting that negates the need to turn off all the camera headlamps one by one? Why would you want to turn off the Perspective View headlamp that you never render with and need to use to see what your doing?

• fred9803 said:
    fred9803 said:

Isn't Auto Headlamp - Never a global setting that negates the need to turn off all the camera headlamps one by one?

Yes

• fred9803 said:
    fred9803 said:

Isn't Auto Headlamp - Never a global setting that negates the need to turn off all the camera headlamps one by one? Why would you want to turn off the Perspective View headlamp that you never render with and need to use to see what your doing?

Yes, but I've found a few instances where it has left a camera headlamp on.  Like Angle-Wings, I like having a headlamp blocker in the scene.  Saves me from having to track down that one camera light that shouldn't be on, but is.  And, no, I have no clue why it is still on, but is.  As for the one I use, I grabbed one off of my favorite Iray light set and deleted all of the lights that were attached and used that and saved it with my default scene that I have load into DS when it boots up.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

People seem to get confused about the headlamp.

If you never changed the headlamp option in the camera panel, all you ever need to do is either one of the following:

1. Add a D|S light (point, spot, distant) and set its luminance to near zero. This will shut off any cemera headlamp, regardless of the setting in the Render panel. (But not if you've specifically turned the headlamp from Auto to On, but why would you do that?)

or

2. Change the render panel to Auto Headlamp: Never.

If a headlamp squeaks by regardless of the above, check the settings in the camera panel. Since the views (Perspective, etc.) don't have a way to alter the headlamp, obviously never use these for rendering. You can can create any number of cameras for rendering from different aspects of the scene. You can base a new camera based on the current view by selecting that option when the camera is created.

Don't confuse the Preview Lights feature with the headlamp. Just because you can see lighting by toggling Preview Lights on or off doesn't mean you have an active headlamp. There is a Preview Lights mode where you can see lighting even with no headlamp or lights in the scene (you can test it by rendering -- you'll get a blank image).

edited September 2016

I would rather have the prop then a setting... DS is famous for glitchy settings. Anywho I found the HLB. I saved it as a single prop. Thanks for uploading it as requested and not turning this into a debate about its value to users and giving me every single alternitive method accept for the one I asked for...

For those who on my same page. It's wise to create a custom action so that you can call it when you need it.

My Library > Light Presets

rar
    rar
    HLB.rar
    Post edited by Angel on
  • fox5050fox5050 Posts: 53

Hey AngelWings does this camer headlamp blocker script still work. If so how do I install it. Thank a bunch. 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,735

AngelWings said:

also, weird question. Why is does refraction weight and opacity not make things see though anymore? I dont like this update... =(

Opacity is generally working fine (at least in DS 4.15.0.2 and earlier) but there are cases where it doesn't for some unknown reason.  E.g. it doesn't work on parts of the Victorian Nurse dress (e.g. the Bow) even if they have separate nodes under Surfaces.  Sometimes you also need to change Glossy Color to Black otherwise you may see glossy artifacts.

• motoglyphsmotoglyphs Posts: 39

I like to have headlamp off for my rendering cameras.  The problem often is, that the scene goes dark in the viewport,

so I can't see in the very camera I want to use, and I'm turning the headlamp on and off again like an idiot.  The headlamp 

blocker fixes this directly.  It doesn't block the viewport headlamp, just the render cameras.  So nice.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,001

Just turn off Window>Preview Lights and you will get a pseudo headlamp that doesn't show in renders without having to remember to turn the real one on and off.

• motoglyphsmotoglyphs Posts: 39

Richard Haseltine said:

Just turn off Window>Preview Lights and you will get a pseudo headlamp that doesn't show in renders without having to remember to turn the real one on and off.

That's quite a bit easier, Thamks!