Do Iray light portals work in DS4.8?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited September 2016 in The Commons

Do Iray light portals work in DS4.8? can i manually add the needed bricks ?

something about caustic sampling

thanks!

Iray Light Portals

Light Portals allow you to “hint” to the renderer the location of openings where light might naturally come in through windows for interior scenes. Since sun and sky lighting can often be too bright for indoor scenes, these portals account for how much and where light enters a room. How effective these portals are at “guessing” where light might appear is dependent on your scene and how large the “windows” in the scene are.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• 4.9.2.61  added portals http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_9_2_70

Please put the whole of your question in the body of the post, don't put some of it in the title only.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited September 2016

but does that mean the building blocks aren't there in 4.8?

in DS4.6 i was saving to .rib files and using the 3DE standalone renderer.

was wondering if there is an iray standalone renderer?

thanks!

Post edited by Mistara on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

There is a standalone Iray renderer but A) it's expensive (hundreds of dollars per year per license), and B) it may actually be one or more iterations behind the version used in D|S. While the standalone version of Iray would undoudtedly support portals, as this feature has been around a while, it may not support other things (e.g. certain MDL behavior) you've come to rely on. 

• I'm glad Rob put how to use portals in the log. I hope DAZ enables motion blur that has been in Iray for a couple years now for the 3DS Max version and it's listed as an established feature on the Iray site. 3DL has it, Iray should have it, too. I asked for it in a feature request several months ago and received a positive response. I hope they add it this time.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited September 2016

you bring up a point, hadn't considered camera settings would have their own MDL bricks?

was just reading the thing about Blooms, trying to make it sink in, lol.

emissive lights vs parametric lights.

and there's 3 different 'builds?'  ... oh okay, mixing modes:

DAZ Studio 4.8 includes the Iray Uber Shader, a single shader that combines three separate shaders. The Iray Uber Shader uses three mixing modes to determine what the properties will ultimately look like. The mixing modes include PBR Metallicity/Roughness, PBR Specular/Glossiness, and Weighted.

y'know though, when using the uber base to convert 3dl shader to iray, does it strip out the 3de bricks or does it leave it and iray ignores it like lux does?

Post edited by Mistara on
  • MistyMist said:

you bring up a point, hadn't considered camera settings would have their own MDL bricks?

was just reading the thing about Blooms, trying to make it sink in, lol.

emissive lights vs parametric lights.

and there's 3 different 'builds?'  ... oh okay, mixing modes:

DAZ Studio 4.8 includes the Iray Uber Shader, a single shader that combines three separate shaders. The Iray Uber Shader uses three mixing modes to determine what the properties will ultimately look like. The mixing modes include PBR Metallicity/Roughness, PBR Specular/Glossiness, and Weighted.

y'know though, when using the uber base to convert 3dl shader to iray, does it strip out the 3de bricks or does it leave it and iray ignores it like lux does?

The conversion is based on parameter names, not sahder code (remember that most RSL shaders are coded and compiled, not built with Shader Mixer - though the AoA SSS Shader is a popular exception to that).

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

I am not up to date on Light Portals but from what I learnt years ago we had to define the windows as Portals. From what I have read so far this is not the case anymore. In that case is that all we need to do is switch it on as per Rob's and Richard's instructions?

• Szark said:

I am not up to date on Light Portals but from what I learnt years ago we had to define the windows as Portals. From what I have read so far this is not the case anymore. In that case is that all we need to do is switch it on as per Rob's and Richard's instructions?

Yes, the light becomes the protal. Note that, according to nVidia, there are a fairly limited range of situations in which they will help as Iray is pretty good at working out where to concentrate its attention anyway.

Ok cool Richard thanks...now to go and find what these limited range of situations are. 

edited September 2016

this is a good read http://blog.irayrender.com/post/12598717491/daylight-portals-in-iray-20-performance-issues

I know it is old but it tracks with what Richard said. :)

Post edited by Szark on