DS 4.9. What Am I doing wrong?

Hi All,

Im experiencing 4.8 issues in 4.9 and im not sure what im doing wrong. I updated my drivers, installed 4.9, and updated the Default Recources for DS4.9. One of the first issues I tested out was the one that 4.8 had with sci fi boots for g3f. https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_23496

Im having the exact same issue. I try to render the boots and Daz never gets the render going. I have to task manager quit in order to cancel the render.

Have I forgotten to update something?

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited September 2016

What's the shader on the boots, and what render engine are you rendering in?

4.9 defaults to the Iray render engine, so it can hang up when translating surfaces optimized for 3dLight.

If the boots have omSurface, AoA subsurface, or even Daz Default as their shader, then iray has to translate that before rendering.

Fortunately, you can switch back to the 3dL render engine on the Render settings tab.  Or you can change the boots to Iray surfaces using the Iray Default shader in your Shader Presets folder.  (I don't use smart content, so I don't actually know where Smart Content puts it)

The opposite (3DL trying to render Iray) is also a cause for hang ups, possibly moreso than 3DL to Iray.  Again you can switch render engines, or else apply a 3dL compatable shader from the Shader Presets folder.

Edit to add - now that I've actually looked up the boots in question, the product page says that they come with both 3dL and Iray materials, so you can apply the correct material type from the materials folder for the boots.

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • Everything appears to be set for iray, shaders, render engine... I re-installed the boots. At first I just used the default mats, then I re-applied to make sure that they were iray. Same issue. However, im noticing that the character skins that I have which were made for 4.9 specifically are rendering and look as intended.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,008

Try putting them in a scene by themselves and applying a really generic Iray preset to all of the surfaces - something not for the boots, but a basic color shader.  To find those in smart content you have to uncheck "filter by context" and then there will be a "shder presets" folder with an "iray" folder in it.  If they still won't render, post a screen cap of your render settings...

• Canary3d said:

Try putting them in a scene by themselves and applying a really generic Iray preset to all of the surfaces - something not for the boots, but a basic color shader.  To find those in smart content you have to uncheck "filter by context" and then there will be a "shder presets" folder with an "iray" folder in it.  If they still won't render, post a screen cap of your render settings...

Yah. If I slap any other shader on them they render fine and fast.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I don't have these, so I can't go looking, but... check the Displacement parameter. Is there an image in it? If so, is the subD Displacement Level set? We were just talking about how long it takes for Sunny Hair to render in another thread, and the OP of that thread solved the issue by turning off displacement.

You would probably lose all that great detail if you turn off Displacement, but if you can use the bump map or displacement map to create your own normal map, (http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ if you don't have the ability within your graphics program,) you could probably get it back without the hit to your render times. Iray likes normal maps, (I've been told,) and I've seen a lot of products use normal maps set to 1.0 and bump maps set to 2.0 or higher.

Anyway, I hope Displacement turns out to be the issue... Good luck.

• L'Adair said:

I don't have these, so I can't go looking, but... check the Displacement parameter. Is there an image in it? If so, is the subD Displacement Level set? We were just talking about how long it takes for Sunny Hair to render in another thread, and the OP of that thread solved the issue by turning off displacement.

You would probably lose all that great detail if you turn off Displacement, but if you can use the bump map or displacement map to create your own normal map, (http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ if you don't have the ability within your graphics program,) you could probably get it back without the hit to your render times. Iray likes normal maps, (I've been told,) and I've seen a lot of products use normal maps set to 1.0 and bump maps set to 2.0 or higher.

Anyway, I hope Displacement turns out to be the issue... Good luck.

Hi L'Adair.

I checked displacement. There is an image and subD is set but its at 6. Isnt 6 really high? I can usually do 2 but any higher and my render time practically stops... experimenting... Well yah, that did the trick. I set subD to 1 and the boots rendered in seconds. They look great. I didnt have to touch the displacement maps or anything. Thanks much.