OT- (Stupid Question) which way do you hold your tablet?

I just had to ask this because it seems counterintuitive to me... Most people I know, tend to hold the tablet horizontal (landscape) but many websites seem to want you to view them in Vertical (portrait) mode... In landscape the images are easier to read and the keyboards are bigger... Even here you can't get the "Edit" icon to appear unless the tablet is in portrait (vertical)... Well, at least on iPad/IOS... 

But in general most websites seem to be optimized for desktops, despite the fact that the Internet wants to go with you everywhere... But desktops are heavy and extension cords usually max out at 100ft... Or there is an assumption because of the prevalence of texting, people need to be in vertical mode so they can thumb type... ? 

Just curious.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,950

I tend to hold the tablets vertically, but they go horizontal when I put them in my mouth and on my tongue, then they go all over the place when I take a drink of water and swallow them. cheeky

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Tablet computer: whatever is best for the content. Most Web pages are best in landscape.

Graphics tablet: I don't hold it at all. It's on a somewhat tilted surface, just like the old-style animation light boards (though without the light). The tilt panel is small and lightweight, and packs with the tablet.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,783

Right now I am not holding my tablet but it is on the table vertical.   When I am on the web I have the tablet vertical but with games the way the game likes it.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,086

It really depends on what I'm doing with it. I usually hold it so the screen faces me. laugh

(Okay, okay... :))) I usually use it to read books, so I hold it like a book, vertically.)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,783

I usually hold it with my hands as it is hard to hold anything with my feet while walking.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

I usually hold it with my hands as it is hard to hold anything with my feet while walking.

Sadly, not for me... I'm structured a little too similar to our ancient ape-like ancestors... But with shoes on it is hard.

SimonJM said:

I tend to hold the tablets vertically, but they go horizontal when I put them in my mouth and on my tongue, then they go all over the place when I take a drink of water and swallow them. cheeky

I tried that and now the screen is a mess... And for some reason it tasted like cheddar and popcorn.

• Generally vertically when I'm closing out my day by reading in bed.  And although it makes absolutely no difference to the equipment, I seem to be a little obsessive about having the home button at the bottom. 

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,446

Vertical. I don't know why, I just do. :P

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,950
    edited September 2016
    McGyver said:
    SimonJM said:

I tried that and now the screen is a mess... And for some reason it tasted like cheddar and popcorn.

I was going to make a comment about that being the Lithium (in the battery), but that could be misconstrued, so I didn't cheekyangel

Post edited by SimonJM on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Vertical for reading books, but horizontal for most other things. I use an iPad because I love the 4x3 format - it seems very natural (or conversely I really hate the 16x9 letterbox. For anything other than watching 16x9 video it's godawful: too narrow in portrait, and not tall enough in landscape. I hate it on laptops as well -- I will *only* buy laptops with a 16x10 screen, and then only because they stopped making 4x3 or 5x4!)

Sorry, didn't mean to rant!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,954

I hold in portrait unless it just won't do...then I switch to landscape.

• Vertical because my case makes it sit that way as a book but horizontal to watch videos and browse DAZ store as miss a lot of the options otherwise.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

It depends what I am doing with it. I don't use my tablet on the web. I find most tablet games are designed for landscape mode, if I'm reading e-books I use portrait mode and if I'm reading graphic novels (OK, comics) I usually end up turning it round and zooming in an out to get the best view of each frame (I really wish Comixology would make a Windows application so I didn't have to read them on a small screen!)

Hmmm... Okay... I guess I'm the odd one... Noooo big surprise there.  Well, probably most people tend to hold it vertical... I guess there are some advantages to that, but at the moment aside from the ones mentioned, the only one I can come up with independently is it affords a better grip if you sneak up on someone and whack them in the head with it... You probably shouldn't do that often... Probably voids the warranty or something.

SimonJM said:
    McGyver said:
    SimonJM said:

I was going to make a comment about that being the Lithium (in the battery), but that could be misconstrued, so I didn't cheekyangel

Mmmm lithium ions.... mmmmm ...    (Homer quote)... (Simpson... Not the Ancient Greek one)

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

The only tablet I own is a graphics tablet. I thought it was a weird question to ask, then I realized you were talking about the other kind of tablet lol.

Okay... How do you hold that?  I don't want to leave anyone out... Even people who are referring to medicinal tablets!

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604
    McGyver said:

Hmmm... Okay... I guess I'm the odd one... Noooo big surprise there.  Well, probably most people tend to hold it vertical... I guess there are some advantages to that, but at the moment aside from the ones mentioned, the only one I can come up with independently is it affords a better grip if you sneak up on someone and whack them in the head with it... You probably shouldn't do that often... Probably voids the warranty or something.

Is that the warranty on the tablet, or the warranty on the person that you whack?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    McGyver said:

Okay... How do you hold that?  I don't want to leave anyone out... Even people who are referring to medicinal tablets!

I generally hold medicinal tablets in such a way that they fall on the floor when I drop them, regardless of what surface I'm holding them over.  Then I curse about the stupid rounded shape, even though I know full well that they do that because people have to swallow the things, and there are probably more people complaining because they can't swallow the things than there are people who keep dropping them.  I'm sure I'd be much unhappier if I had throat neuropathy than peripheral neuropathy, except that it would probably be fatal, which tends to cut down on complaints.

As for electronic tablets, it wouldn't matter how I held them, because within seconds my daughter would be holding them and laughing at jokes written in Korean or Japanese, or watching the Indonesian DVD of Teletubbies or something.

• Landscape even when reading. I use the two column style as then it looks more like a book ;)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Landscape. Except when viewing images created in portrait format.

• To swallow a big tablet put your arm up like asking teacher in class, it stretches oesophagus

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,693

Landscape, unless the bleeping website won't work properly in landscape.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

tablets smiley

McGyver said:

I generally hold medicinal tablets in such a way that they fall on the floor when I drop them, regardless of what surface I'm holding them over.  Then I curse about the stupid rounded shape, even though I know full well that they do that because people have to swallow the things, and there are probably more people complaining because they can't swallow the things than there are people who keep dropping them.  I'm sure I'd be much unhappier if I had throat neuropathy than peripheral neuropathy, except that it would probably be fatal, which tends to cut down on complaints.

As for electronic tablets, it wouldn't matter how I held them, because within seconds my daughter would be holding them and laughing at jokes written in Korean or Japanese, or watching the Indonesian DVD of Teletubbies or something.

Part 1... Wouldn't it be easier to just either get down on the floor or climb up on a counter, lay flat and either lick or suck it up off a shallow tray... The floor method I find very helpful after consuming large quantities of distilled beverages and or spirits... The counter is okay if you have someone to toss you up there, but there's that pesky gravity issue.

Part 2... Yes,same...  but opposite... I can't place my iPad down or it's gone, as either one of my daughters has already drained their device's battery and moved onto the next available unit, be it mine, my wife's, her parent's. each other's or possibly random strangers who can't run away fast enough.

• MistyMist said:

tablets smiley

Shucks! Beat me to it. sad