Teen Josie 7

3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
edited September 2016 in The Commons

Does Teen Josie 7 have her own UV maps? Or does she share Genesis 3 UV?

Also, is there a list of the "7" figures that have their own UVs? I've only bought one "7" figure and I want to start getting more of them, but I'm leery about getting any with their on UV as the point is to be able to use as many skins/textures as possible on my characters. I really don't want any characters with their own UVs. 

Since Teen Josie 7 is in the Mega Fast Grab I'm considering getting her - but want to know first if she has her own UVs. 

Post edited by 3Diva on

Comments

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

I think this was discussed before and the answer was no. Teen Josie has her own UVs disfferent to Genesis 3.

• no she has her own I have her and and when i open it's uv is Josie 7

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Pretty much all the base 7's have their own UVs. However the VAST majority of vendors, when creating characters for them, use the base Genesis 3 Female default UVs for them. You CAN use Teen Josie 7's skin textures on any other genesis 3 female character, if that was what was concerning you? 

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

Yeah, as jakiblue said she has her own maps but it's entirely possible to use any map at all on her (making you wonder why they bother..) or changing any other Genesis 3 female to use Josie's maps. She's also one of the few characters that does actually morph the body a fair bit so she's one I actually use a lot, personally.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Cool, thanks guys! 

If you can, indeed, use her textures/skin on other characters then I will likely get her. I've not spent any money since the start of the PA sale and I am seriously considering Teen Josie. 

Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated! :)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

yeah she's in the megagrab today so she's definitely worth it for the lower price (and if you still have your two pc coupons, even cheaper) :D 

I think there was some conjecture about whether the new Sunny 7 had her own uv's or the base ones, but yeah, ALL the 7s have their own uvs. Not really worth it tho, and like Ix says, you wonder why they even bother doing it, considering just about every vendor uses the base g3f/m to make their characters. All skins are interchangeable between the characters, if they are the same generation (IE all 7 skins work on every 7 character - female on female and male on male, I mean).  

Cool, thanks guys! 

If you can, indeed, use her textures/skin on other characters then I will likely get her. I've not spent any money since the start of the PA sale and I am seriously considering Teen Josie. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,314

To me the only real disadvantage of having their own UV is that come Genesis 4 the skin is likely to be unusable on it, as no converter will be written for the custom UVs, as normally only the texture of the base character uses that UV. So until G4 actually arrives, there is no major drawback.

I can understand the frustration of a non-base character using a custom UV, since it means you have to own the base character to use the skin, but that is not the case with Josie 7, or the other base characters.

Other than this, and the general principal that a custom UV is largely unneeded, am I missing another major disadvantage of custom UVs?

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I hadn't used my coupon and so got her for $5.01. I figured that even if she had her drawbacks, her advantages were probably worth at least $5. So far I'm quite pleased with her, but at 5' 4" she's already taller than I am. Looking at the rest of her measurements, she's roughly the same size as my daughter. They share the same tiny hips and waist, and the same legs that go on forever. I expect me and her mother share the same nightmare trying to find school trousers that fit. On the other hand, if the Daz store is all they've got to shop from then Josie's mother must have to start a lot more 'You're not going out in THAT!' arguments than I do :)

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564

I used her skin on a Victoria 7 morph in this image; in case you were wondering how it could look.

new faceb.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 247K
    Rafmer said:

I used her skin on a Victoria 7 morph in this image; in case you were wondering how it could look.

Oh that's quite lovely!  

jakiblue said:

yeah she's in the megagrab today so she's definitely worth it for the lower price (and if you still have your two pc coupons, even cheaper) :D 

I think there was some conjecture about whether the new Sunny 7 had her own uv's or the base ones, but yeah, ALL the 7s have their own uvs. Not really worth it tho, and like Ix says, you wonder why they even bother doing it, considering just about every vendor uses the base g3f/m to make their characters. All skins are interchangeable between the characters, if they are the same generation (IE all 7 skins work on every 7 character - female on female and male on male, I mean).  

Cool, thanks guys! 

Yeah, I'm not sure why they have to have their own UVs. Doesn't make much sense to me. 

I hadn't used my coupon and so got her for $5.01. I figured that even if she had her drawbacks, her advantages were probably worth at least $5. So far I'm quite pleased with her, but at 5' 4" she's already taller than I am. Looking at the rest of her measurements, she's roughly the same size as my daughter. They share the same tiny hips and waist, and the same legs that go on forever. I expect me and her mother share the same nightmare trying to find school trousers that fit. On the other hand, if the Daz store is all they've got to shop from then Josie's mother must have to start a lot more 'You're not going out in THAT!' arguments than I do :)

LOL! Yep, I can hear Josie's mom now. "You ware FAR too young to be wearing that - Go up stairs and change right this minute!" And then Josie being all like "But Mom, ALL the Daz girls are wearing it!" lol

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Yeah, I'm not sure why they have to have their own UVs. Doesn't make much sense to me. 

Actually, for teen and younger characters, having their own UV maps makes perfect sense to me.  If you create a 'young' morph with an adult character, you end up with quite a bit of distortion, especially in the chest area.  By creating a custom UV set, you avoid that problem.

mjc1016 said:

Actually, for teen and younger characters, having their own UV maps makes perfect sense to me.  If you create a 'young' morph with an adult character, you end up with quite a bit of distortion, especially in the chest area.  By creating a custom UV set, you avoid that problem.

Really? Huh, I've seen some pretty extreme morphs with the base UV set. *shurg*

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

You can also convert them to default maps.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

Is Josie 7 better for creating petite figures then? I believe the next shortest figure is the recently released Sunny 7, but I could be wrong...

mtl1 said:

Is Josie 7 better for creating petite figures then? I believe the next shortest figure is the recently released Sunny 7, but I could be wrong...

Not really; I use up to about 12% Growing-up morph to get petit figures. I do like the textures on the character, but not worth it just for those imo. Well, when its on offer sure. The Josie 'narrow' morph could be useful, but the Growing up morphs has similar, so great for creating ethereal elven figures (very tall and slim).

nicstt said:
    mtl1 said:

Not really; I use up to about 12% Growing-up morph to get petit figures. I do like the textures on the character, but not worth it just for those imo. Well, when its on offer sure. The Josie 'narrow' morph could be useful, but the Growing up morphs has similar, so great for creating ethereal elven figures (very tall and slim).

Hmm... I'll have to look out for that product when it comes out on sale then. I've personally been using Nivine 6 plus some other products to get my 'elven' features...

• Rafmer said:

Never would have thought of doing that, but the results are quite nice.

mtl1 said:
    nicstt said:
    mtl1 said:

Hmm... I'll have to look out for that product when it comes out on sale then. I've personally been using Nivine 6 plus some other products to get my 'elven' features...

Yeh, Nivine is great for that; glad you've reminded me, I must convert the character's textures to G3. First convert to G2F default (/sigh) then convert to G3F. I like G3 for the improved bending, facial, feet (and hand?) bones. Just wish there was more geometry; HD morphs don't cut it imo.

nicstt said:
    mtl1 said:
    nicstt said:
    mtl1 said:

Yeh, Nivine is great for that; glad you've reminded me, I must convert the character's textures to G3. First convert to G2F default (/sigh) then convert to G3F. I like G3 for the improved bending, facial, feet (and hand?) bones. Just wish there was more geometry; HD morphs don't cut it imo.

Are you using Blender or Blacksmith for the texture conversion? Or... the geografts?