Puffball by Valandar problem Daz Studio 4.9 Pro

Hopefully this is the right forum, sorry if it isn't. I just bought the Puffball model: http://www.daz3d.com/puffball

I'm not too experienced so maybe there's a simple fix for this, but anyway the fur on the model is created by displacement, I think (no experience with that). The trouble is it's coming out way too thick and spikey on my renders. I've played around with the displacement settings (displacement strength, minimum displacement and maximum displacement) but this just seems to make the spikes larger or smaller, not thinner and more hair-like.

I'm rendering in Iray on Daz Studio 4.9 Pro, if that makes a difference. Also, I read a couple of previous threads about how there is an issue if you load the mat file from the materials folder instead of the pose folder, but that doesn't seem to be the problem I have here as I am loading from the pose PuffballMAT folder.

I'm attaching my weird results, as well as my displacement settings. You can see what the creature should look like on the store page. Thanks for any help!

puffball test 1.jpg
568 x 536 - 131K
puffball settings 1.jpg
158 x 490 - 83K

Comments

• Try converting the shader to iray and then setting the subD to 2

Maybe somebody else has a different idea.

• Sorry, I'm still learning and that advice is a bit beyond me. I'm still trying to work out exactly what shaders are, and I don't know what the subD is either. I've tried looking at tutorials but they always seem to skip steps that I don't understand or assume I have things in my content library that I can't find. I don't really want to ask you to explain all that at length right now (I learn things better by messing about in the program and getting accustomed over time anyway).

• It's better, I am told, not to use the surface setting to divide the mesh as it is memory-inefficient, easily tipping the sceen over the limit for fitting on the GPU. Better to use the object SubD settings. If, when the figure is selected, you don't have a ny SubD level controls in the Mesh Resolution group in the Parametrs pane go to Edit>Figure>Geometry>Convert to SubD. Once you have the controls, set Render SubD Level to a higher level - try 3 or 4 initially. Bear in mind that eack level of SubD quadruples the polygon count of the object, so don't push it too far at one go.

• Thanks very much, I got much better results with that approach. It needed the Render SubD Level (Minimum) to be set to 4 to get the right look.

puffball test 2.jpg
    594 x 581 - 127K
  • 4 is high but not impossible - it has 256 polygons for every polygon in the original mesh.