Super Sleeky Hair G3M BIG PROBLEM

Just an FYI, his shaders and shaping options don't populate when you select the hair. Her's do. You have to go dig for his in your content library. And with both M and F, apply a 3DL shader first and then Iray. That's the only way I could get it to work.

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,996

Did you follow the instructions? http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/34217/34217_oot-iray-hairblending-tutorial.pdf

Loading the Hair and Shaders
    Load the hair figure from your content library Genesis 3 Female → Hair.
    Open the “MATS“ folder and “Iray”. Select the hair figure and apply the “!Apply First”
    material preset to the hair figure. This will load all necessary textures and shaders to the hair.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384
    edited September 2016

I didn't realize this hair set had special instructions. When I buy hair I am used to it being listed under HAIR in Smart Content. Then when I select the hair I have Materials>Shaders>Shaping. This is the only hair style I have that doesn't conform to that. The product description didn't say anything about there being certain steps to take in order to make it work or to read a tutorial first so I didn't go looking for that. I have other OOT hair and it's great stuff so when I saw this item I bought it without thinking twice. I was just shocked that it wasn't set up the same as other OOT products. But to me there is still a problem with the G3M version of this hair because selecting the hair brings up no options at all and forces you to go rooting through files in Content Library. Yet on a G3F Model it does populate in Smart Content. I just said what I said to try to help anyone else that bought it. My way of making it work may not be the way intended but it does work and it looks like it should. It was a cautionary post. "Don't return it, do this first!"

I'd get in the habit of looking for tutorial files with every product I buy but most of them just kinda work the way you expect them to. Maybe they can do an update or something and mention that a tutorial exists for it on the product page because I didn't see it anywhere. It's great hair and once i got it working I was very happy with the result. You can tell that a lot goes into OOT hair, probably more than most out there and it's really just beautifully done. Oh and anyone else that is reading this who might be on the fence, don't buy this hair alone. Get the Anna/Awan/Super Sleeky Hair Bundle. The characters render great and the hair compliments them perfectly! You'll get a lot of bang for your buck. Or...buy the hair seperatly and use the tutorial link form BeeMKay and you'll still get a bang for your buck.

PP1.JPG
    1579 x 969 - 152K
    PP2.JPG
    1581 x 947 - 167K
    Post edited by DDCreate on
    edited September 2016

.... Sorry. I'll refrain from commenting to your questions from now on if my replies cause you such anger. That wasn't my intention.

EDIT: For the record, even using Smart content, the Hair and its settings "Apply First" were there.

When G3M is selected:

When the Hair is selected:

The "Apply First":

smartcont2.JPG
    960 x 544 - 106K
    smartcint1.JPG
    693 x 370 - 46K
    Smartcont3.JPG
    775 x 571 - 109K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
    edited September 2016

BeeMKay, NOOOOOO I wasn't mad! Especially not at you. You have helped me a lot in the past. I was just talking about the product which I wasn't saying was bad. I just meant if there are special instructions for it, they should say so. You dropped that link out there which was great! Not sure where you found it but I'm glad you did. I wasn't being feisty :) I see from your screen shots that things seem to populate okay for you. If you look at mine, they don't for me. I seriously didn't intend to come off that way. And as you can tell from my post, I love OOT products. I was just saying they should make us aware of special steps. That's all. TEXT is a difficult method of communication sometimes because you can't tell the tone of someones voice and things get misinterpreted. Know what I mean? My husband can send me  a text and ask when I'll be home and I can respond "I'll be home in 5 minutes." and he'll hear "I'LL BE HOME...in 5 MINUTES!!!" lol

Post edited by DDCreate on
    edited September 2016

DDCreate, no problem. It's just that you came acrossed very annoyed about the manual thing. I do understand the frustration, and I don't want to risk being the arrogant "Check the manual, numbskull" type of person. This is not one-on-one teaching, and constantly referring to this or that tutorial may seem like not taking you and the problems you experience serious. While in reality, it's just that many turtorials,  and also manuals, explain much better than me. (Me, I'm even struggling with the English language and its grammar/vocabulary.) That's why I rather backed out at that point, instead of risking to make you angry and even more frustrated at things.

I also prefer using things "instinctively", but my experience has taught me that, if it doesn't work instictively, go check the manual. And I'm also one who tends to simply overlook the "Click me first" buttons, until it doesn't work, and I tear out my hairs.  

For your "Hair selected" image, have you tried scrolling down?

slider.JPG
    406 x 733 - 49K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on

No offense taken at all and certainly none meant. I was mildly frustrated but once I got the hair to work I just wanted to make a note to any novice buyers (like me) that might buy it and run into the same problem. That's all. When it comes to the male version of the hair, normally when i select a hair style on a character, my menu on the left is reduced to ONLY materials for that hair style. I will try scrolling down and seeing if that happens to be where the materials load but up till now, the only success I have had in locating the materials for the male version is in my Content Library. The female version loads the way I expected it to. But either way, it's great hair and if I have to spend an extra 30secs going to the Content Folder, so be it. It's worth the time.

I put everything into custom cathegories; I let DIM install, and then create a new subdirectory in the Cathegories, where all the stuff comes together in an easy-to-find way, which I can wrap my brain around. That's especially useful for the "older" content, that has part of the product under "Props" or "Figure", part under "Poses" and sometimes even "Hands"...