DAZ characters to Cheetah3D

Hi there,

I'm interested in the offerings in the Daz store, but not the Daz software. 

Does anyone have experience importing Daz characters in to Cheetah3D (mac 3D software)?

I assume I would have to manually download the files, and then import in to Cheetah? 

Has anyone actually done this?

Thanks!

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,954

No. You have to export them from DAZ Studio 4.x or DS 5.x when it comes out in a format the Cheetah can read.

• What are you looking to do in Cheetah3D?  Most programs will work with OBJ format.  I don't see that you would need an older version of Studio to do that.  

• jake_fjake_f Posts: 226

Thanks for the replies guys.  Well, I'm still confused, so I'll try to ask a better question.

Cheetah will accept fbx and obj files (and probably some other formats).  So can I download Daz characters directly from the store in one of those formats?  Or will I need to use Studio to get the files, and then export out of Studio?

To experiment and learn, I've been downloading some free characters from various sites.  It's very much a hit or miss affair.  Some of the files work in Cheetah, many don't.  I'm not sure if the problem is 1) me, 2) Cheetah, 3) free files, or 4) some combination of the above.  Thus, I really have no idea if Daz files will work in Cheetah or not.

I've tested buying from the Daz store yesterday by purchasing Bryce.  I got payment confirmation from both Paypal and Daz, but no mention at all of how to get what I purchased.   Not too impressive so far.

I'm sure it will get worked out and the Bryce will be great, but before I buy characters I'd really like to nail down if they will work, how I will get them etc.  I don't know what the policy is, but I wouldn't blame Daz if they don't accept returns on digital products, so the burden is on me to know ahead of time if I'm buying something I can use.

Thanks for listening, much appreciated.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    edited September 2016

they need to be exported from DAZ studio which is free

Bryce you should have an exe file in your product library, not sure about Mac, you can always run it under bootcamp I believe, it will not load DAZ content natively but there is a bridge in DAZ studio to it.
    DAZ studio comes with some free content you can try exporting first before buying anything

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Yes Bryce has to be installed the old fashioned way,  as it is very, very particular where things go, and apprently  DIM is not smart enough to work it out. 

ToeJam said:

they need to be exported from DAZ studio which is free

Thank you for the reply.  I have DAZ Studio and a DAZ account.  The problem is that I don't know Studio, because um, let's just say, it's just not the right software for me.  I have tried exporting the free built in content and then  import to Cheetah, but that didn't work.  I don't have enough experience to know where the problem lies.  It could be me, Daz, Cheetah etc.

I don't really understand why I'm being forced to use Studio, when I can download character files directly from other sites, for free.  But if that's the only option I'll consider learning it. 

ToeJam said:

Bryce you should have an exe file in your product library, not sure about Mac, you can always run it under bootcamp I believe, it will not load DAZ content natively but there is a bridge in DAZ studio to it.

Ah, I see.  So I'm supposed to just somehow know that Bryce was delivered to Studio?  I did just launch Studio and look for Bryce, but don't see it.  It may be there somewhere, I'm only reporting that I don't see it.

Do I need to learn and use Studio to do any kind of business with DAZ? 

Are there perhaps third party vendors I could buy DAZ content from?  Is that a solution perhaps?

Thanks again for any replies.  As should be clear, I have no idea what I'm doing in Dazland.

• you do not need studio to use Bryce

its a standalone program

but to put DAZ models from DAZ studio into Bryce there is a bridge

you can import obj into Bryce too

Like I said install DAZ studio and the starter essentials and play with and export that content

is free

• then when familiar with how it works you can consider whether you want to buy any content

• BTW I am an iClone user and I export D|S content as FBX to use in that

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,328

Your purchases should be in yur account under Product Library you can download and install Bryce from there.

Daz do have a 30 days money back policy.

You can also download the Install Manager (DIM) to both download and install content or just to download content.

A lot of DS  content comes in duf format.

ToeJam said:

you do not need studio to use Bryce

its a standalone program

Thank you ToeJam, this is useful information, and good news.  Now I just need to figure out why Daz has not provided me with Bryce.  I'm contacting them by a variety of means, so far they are not contacting me back.

ToeJam said:

you can import obj into Bryce too

Ah, good.  So I could import any characters in to Bryce from anywhere, so long as they are in obj?

ToeJam said:

Like I said install DAZ studio and the starter essentials and play with and export that content is free

Is free, but worth what I paid for it.   Let's forget all about Studio and pretend for a minute that it doesn't exist.  We are now in an imaginary world where there is no such thing as Daz Studio.  No Daz Studio at all, gone, completely gone.

And so the question still is....

Can I buy character files from the Daz store and import them in to Cheetah???

I can download character files directly from a number of sites for free.   Can I download them directly from the Daz store as well?

Thanks again, as always.

• No mostly you cannot as in DAZ duf format or Poser format, some of the later not all have obj files hidden in geometries but many do not.

you need to load them in DAZ studio then export as obj or FBX if wanting rigging if it works in Cheetah, as a Windows user I have no idea.

• Lets put this another way

if I want to use say Unity content in DAZ studio, I need it in a format D|S can import, most Unity scenes that requires an obj exporter available at the asset store that I have almost bought a few times but decided not worth it for the content when DAZ studio is free and there is much free or cheap content for it.

Places like shareCG being one sourse if you wish to try free stuff.

The DAZ store sells much nicer models than Unity too as those lowpoly game ones, I have exported Unreal Game engine stuff as obj and even bought some assets from Epic mostly for iClone, but again very lowpoly

like DAZ the Unreal UDK editor has its own format but does obj and FBX export

it is not uncommon for software to use its own formats

Blender uses blend files but can export obj too but you need Blender to open them

The same thing with DAZ content, it needs to program to open and export it