Sometimes my render is all black

Why is my render sometimes all black?

I load a scene like this 'http://www.daz3d.com/night-bar'
Add a figure and a camera and do a test render with IRay. Good.

Move or rotate the camera slightly and test is all black. Why?
Move or rotate camera back. Good.

When rotating while viewport is in Iray mode, the scene and figures are gray. So I can see that nothing unwanted is blocking the camera view.

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

It sounds like your camera is being blocked. It is sometimes hard to tell from the viewport. A few things you can try:

1) I like to check the view through the camera

2) or select the camera (so that it is highlighted) then view using the perspective view and rotate around to make sure nothing is blocking the camera view.

• jakobrhjakobrh Posts: 100

I've tried that and it dosn't help.

Nothing blocks the view.

I've done a little work. And sometimes it seems like all lights are turned off. But it still renders the dark gray nothingness outside and a blured windowframe. that would not happen if the camera was blocked.

Here you can see the camera 'Camera5' in texture shaded perspectiv view and through the camera. The only difference between the images is a little camera rotating. (OK. orbiting to be exact.)

Mystified01.png
    1362 x 853 - 663K
    Mystified02.png
    1362 x 853 - 2M
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,455

Is your headlamp turned on? It will be on your camera. If so turn it off.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,046

Check the Tone Mapping and make sure it is set for low light and see if it is any better.

frank0314 said:

Is your headlamp turned on? It will be on your camera. If so turn it off.

I turned it off at some point. It made no difference.

Fishtales said:

Check the Tone Mapping and make sure it is set for low light and see if it is any better.

I've shuffled around with Exposure Value, Shutter Speed and F/Stop. Problem exists.

What does makes a difference is if I hide the ceiling. But that gives a boring light and image.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,046

It looks like the camera in the first image is down behind the bar which means it is in shadow so there isn't enough light reaching it to produce an image. In the second one the camera is farther back so is receiving light from the lights as expected. I still think it is a Tone Mapping problem. Have you tried setting the ISO to 400, F/Sop to 4 and Shutter Speed to 60?

What I can see in my viewport is what I can see in my render. Right?

I still have this problem.

If a camera is floating in the very center of a room and produces a good render. Then I orbit The camera a fraction of a degree to the right. It all turns black. If it was just a matter of low light, then the render would be dark. But not completely black.
    I can place my perspective view behind the camera. I get a good view of the figure, without anything blocking the perspective view or the camera. But still absolutly nothing in the render.

Tone mapping doesn't help.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,822