ISO free Christmas decorations and iRay emissive shaders for Christmas lights

I want to start making Christmas renders and I am looking for Christmas decorations to decorate my DS interior and exterior scenes into Christmas spirit.  Preferably free stuff as that is what I can fit in my budget at the moment.

Also I am new to the emmsive shaders for iRay and thought that might be great for any Christmas lights and similar stuff.

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited November 2016

Not free, but still very cheap right now is the Will & Mabs Christmas Collection, with new release purchase. Any item with the "new" ribbon in the upper right corner (catalog pages,) qualifies, so you could pick up a PC+ item and still get this for $1.32. I use the Yuletide Treasure Tree from that bundle every Christmas.  Christmas Tree Ornaments is also deeply discounted with a new release, at only $1.39.

Here's the search results for "Ornaments" over at ShareCG. Lots of free items Christmas Ornaments there.

Here's the result of a Rendo freestuff site search via Google for Ornaments.

That should get you started.
    smiley

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Inlitestudios has a reindeer, santa hat, christmas presents, tree, and Christmas Lounge, that has stockings, furniture, presents and a tree included; all free. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

wow, those are nice.

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

Also I am new to the emmsive shaders for iRay and thought that might be great for any Christmas lights and similar stuff.

It's not difficult to change a material in DS4.x to emissive, as demonstrated in the image below (with the free frosty from JLK at ShareCG and Flink's christmas tree from rendo's 2015 giveaway). Frosty's coals and the tree's lights have been set to emissive....

Depending on the model/prop, different light colours maybe possible....

frosty-2.jpg
    400 x 600 - 105K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,720
    edited November 2016
    maclean said:

I did not know everyday party decorations included Christmas stuff.  Wonder if that would work with the December pc (pa) coupon.  I think I got the other two.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,582
    maclean said:

I swear, I spend a lot of time looking at what is in the MP and like to think I have a pretty idea of what is availiable, then you post liikes to products I didn't even know existed, LOL

Thanks for the links!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

reindeer!! 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    maclean said:

Your stuff totally rocks by the way.  So many small, USEFUL, everyday items you don't realize you are missing from a scene until well, they are missing lol.  I'm working my way through your shop.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

Your stuff totally rocks by the way.  So many small, USEFUL, everyday items you don't realize you are missing from a scene until well, they are missing lol.  I'm working my way through your shop.

Thanks! It's nice to know people get good use out of my products. I hope I don't cost you too much - lol!

mac

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I did not know everyday party decorations included Christmas stuff.  Wonder if that would work with the December pc (pa) coupon.  I think I got the other two.

Read the product list before you buy. It doesn't contain items specifically for Christmas, but it does have balloons, streamers and other general party items.

maclean said:

Read the product list before you buy. It doesn't contain items specifically for Christmas, but it does have balloons, streamers and other general party items.

I think this promo shows a banner that says Merry Christmas.  There is another one that shows "Seasons Greatings"  or something like that.  Those two items are what I was thinking of, I think

04-everyday-party-decorations-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 182K
    05-everyday-party-decorations-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 112K

First I need to find the perfect reindeer then find out how to make that said reindeer's nose glow.  Just the nose as he is not the radioactive reindeer but just got a glowing nose.

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

.... then find out how to make that said reindeer's nose glow.  Just the nose as he is not the radioactive reindeer but just got a glowing nose.

Something like this you mean? This is Lynes free reindeer, a poser model, but it loads just fine in DS. it comes with a 'Rudolph map so that gave me a good base to make a quick 'mask texture' for just the nose area and use that in the DS/Iray emission node to make just the nose area emitting light. Rendered with the bloom filter on for efffect.....

Rudolf-red1.jpg
    400 x 600 - 48K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    glaseye said:

.... then find out how to make that said reindeer's nose glow.  Just the nose as he is not the radioactive reindeer but just got a glowing nose.

Something like this you mean? This is Lynes free reindeer, a poser model, but it loads just fine in DS. it comes with a 'Rudolph map so that gave me a good base to make a quick 'mask texture' for just the nose area and use that in the DS/Iray emission node to make just the nose area emitting light. Rendered with the bloom filter on for efffect.....

And a mighty fine sleigh leader he'll make, too.

MistyMist said:

reindeer!! 

They are busy getting ready for Xmas eve, LOL

reindeer.jpg
    1544 x 870 - 2M
    edited December 2016

Here's something else you can try...

What products do you already have that would work as ornaments if they were smaller? For example, the Wooden Rocking Horse would make a lovely ornament. Size the rocking horse to the size you need. (It may help to have another ornament in the viewport for size comparison.) Create a torus. I use 1 inch major diameter, .25 inch minor diameter, (1/4-inch,) and then size it to fit the ornament. For the rocking horse, the torus would probably work best embedded into the seat. If you don't move the horse or the torus from center, (0 X, 0 Y, 0 Z,) it's a simple matter to raise the torus, (y translate,) size to fit, (scale,) and rotate to form a proper ring.

Remove everything from the scene except the rocking horse and torus, and then export as a Wavefront Object (obj). Import the new object, and apply the materials from the original horse and torus. Select the new ornament and save a material preset. There you go, you've got a custom ornament. Now when you add it to your Christmas scene, import the object and apply the material preset. You can duplicate the ornament, or use instances. (I prefer instances.)

I don't actually have that rocking horse, (I thought I did, oops,) but here's an example using the rocking horse from Christmas Toys of Yesteryear, which was a "free with purchase, item the first week of November (2016). The torus (loop) is perfect for a ribbon, like the ones that come on the gingerbread ornament with Yuletide Treasure Tree 2011. If you want to use a hook, like the one with the ornament in the example image, you would turn the loop 90 degrees...

rocking-horse-ornament.jpg
    2667 x 1600 - 349K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 2016

And this set of shader presets will make nice ornaments...out of even plain sphere primitives.

They'll even work in Iray with some minor tweaking...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/39650/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Feng-Shui-Enamel

ornaments.png
    512 x 512 - 59K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited December 2016

As was pointed out above, it's pretty easy to make ornaments. This ornament is just 3 simple primitives (a sphere, a cylinder, and a torus) with gold and red Iray shaders.

Once you have the primitives sized and in place you can save it as a "group" then save the group as a scene subset. You can then drag and drop that scene subset as many times as you want into your scene, for as many ornaments as you want. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,090

First I need to find the perfect reindeer then find out how to make that said reindeer's nose glow.  Just the nose as he is not the radioactive reindeer but just got a glowing nose.

http://www.daz3d.com/reindeer-sleigh

includes a Rudolph option.

Dana

• Some ornaments I just found in an old RDNA Christmas giveaway: http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?49467-The-2009-13-Days-of-Christmas-Giveaway-Day-12

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

I have a Christmas ornament coming out soon as I finish all the shaders for it.

Laurie

Xmas Ball Quickie Tex.jpg
    892 x 906 - 132K
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Nice work Laurie! can't imagine trying to hand it on the tree with that small hook though, LOL.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

Laurie

AllenArt said:

Laurie

Nice work Laurie! can't imagine trying to hand it on the tree with that small hook though, LOL.

That's modeled from a real hook ;). TBH, I thought the same thing, but I think it's meant to be bent around a branch, like the usual kind. Just not as much to bend. LOL

Laurie

edited December 2016

Here are a couple more ornaments I created using products I already had, including a variety of iray shaders. These are good-sized images so you can see the details. I posed the toy soldier with their props before exporting as obj files. I included a hanging loop, (torus,) and I used the Geometry Editor Tool to separate the different areas of the sleeve so I could use shaders on them. The wood, (face, hands, joints,) and feather are the original textures. Everything else uses shaders. The plushie angel uses satin fabric shaders on the skin, wings and harp. The nose is a black shader, I don't remember which one, and the eyes are just a matching color with metalicity set to 1. The halo and the hanging loop, (torus) have Mec4D's Fake Gold shader from Vol 3 of her PBR shaders.

ETA: I forgot to mention, I used the bump map for the medallion on the toy soldier's hat to create a normal map. After applying the same gold shader as the epaulettes on the badge, I added the normal map, to get the relief of the design.

Three Toy Soldier Ornaments.png
    1800 x 1500 - 1M
    Plushie Angel Ornament.png
    1800 x 1500 - 1M
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

SickleYield made a strand of christmas lights for a freebie a couple years ago, check your product library.  It's not in the daz store anymore but if you "bought" it during that christmas freebie givaway you'll have it in your product list to download.