Holding a keyframe in Timeline

edited December 1969 in New Users

I actually have two newbie questions.

Whenever I set two keyframes in the timeline, in between the keyframes the parameters does not hold still and instead it increases the parameters a bit before going back to the set parameter.

Example
Frame 01 Rotation set to "30.0"
Frame 30 Rotation also set to "30.0"

As I scrub through the timeline, the rotation increases to around 30.0-35.0 during Frame 01 and 30. How do I hold the parameters at "30.0" without it trying to ease in/out of the upcoming set parameter?

Second question, is there a way to only see the parameters I've altered to the models/nulls/camera? Currently, I write down all the name of the dials I've fiddled with but it'll be nice if I can just see the ones I've messed with. Thanks guys!

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What version of DAZ Studio are you using, and what OS?

I have no idea why that parameter is moving, unless you have another keyframe for it in the timeline. Can you show a screenshot please?

Second question, is there a way to only see the parameters I’ve altered to the models/nulls/camera? Currently, I write down all the name of the dials I’ve fiddled with but it’ll be nice if I can just see the ones I’ve messed with. Thanks guys!

If you go to the Parameters pane, and select 'Currently Used' that should show you what you want to see, but it depends on the body part selected.

• carolinebegbiecarolinebegbie Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

This is probably due to interpolation.

I have created a sphere and done a rotation on frame 1 and the same rotation on frame 19, and a different rotation on frame 30.

You can see in the first picture that the graph of this animation as shown in GoFigure's graphMate between 1 and 19 is not a straight line, so the rotation varies.

To correct this, you change the interpolation to Linear.

The second picture shows the graph after I have changed the interpolation to Linear.

Screen_Shot_2013-01-05_at_12.14_.58_AM_.png
    530 x 617 - 43K
    Screen_Shot_2013-01-05_at_12.12_.15_AM_.png
    441 x 551 - 26K
  • carolinebegbiecarolinebegbie Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

To explain a bit further - all animation on parameters are done in "channels". For example, if you do translate X, that is in a translate X channel. If you do Y rotate, that is in a Y rotate channel.

All of these channels can have their values graphed. The new plugin by GoFigure called graphMate can give you a visual display of this graph. It is normal for interpolation (that's the bit the computer generates between keyframes) to be a spline interpolation. Splines are very hard to get in a straight line. If there is not a straight line on the graph, then there will be movement in that particular channel.

Just in case I'm not explaining this well (it's a bit late), Casual has also explained it, and has provided a script to change the interpolation (but doesn't show it graphically as graphMate does).
    https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/setinterpolation-for-ds2-3

• edited January 2013

Create a new keyframe at 02, and another at 29. This will eliminate the interpolation between 01 and 30.

Post edited by mario.cicalese2_d6b65131db on
  • edited December 1969

MCMXC said:
    Create a new keyframe at 02, and another at 29. This will eliminate the interpolation between 01 and 30.

This worked, thank you! This will save so many headaches! Looking into getting keymate or graphmate to make my life easier if I were to do something more complicated. I learned quite a lot from you guys, thanks for all your inputs.