Trouble with Installs-Genesis Starter Essentials for Poser

MarveLMarveL Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Genesis Starter Essentials for Poser: It's just not clear to me where these files go. They install Genesis Essentials for Poser, so: do they go in the Poser Folder or the Daz Studio one?? I can't get them to load into Poser9 no matter what. They just keep saying: "Error Changing Permissions to 0755" and finally: There has been an error: Unable to set Permissions. I finally got DSON to load after I reset my downloads so the newest one showed up, but what about these "Gen. Starter Essentials"??

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,446
    edited December 1969

What is the location of your Poser runtime? Is it in My Document or are you using Programs folder?

• MarveLMarveL Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank You! I am running Mac OS 10.8.2 ( Mountain Lion ) on a Mac Pro with 36 Gb of Ram and a 480 GB SSD drive. All the programs are in the "Applications" root folder, and I am running Poser 9 with the SR3.1 update. This version of Poser seems to have put the 'Libraries' folder somewhere other than in the Poser 9 runtime folder, as I don't see it there, as in the other versions where everything except the cache was kept in the Applications/ Poser9 folder. DAZ Studio, seems to put stuff all over. I downloaded the latest DSON, and it seemed to have loaded ok, but I keep getting these warnings on Poser startup: I have attached the warnings, below in the order they came. The first one was before I installed the latest DSON, the next was after I loaded the latest version.

Second problem is that I bought a few DAZ items- Dave Texture for M5, David 4 for Genesis and Hiro for Genesis along with a texture for him. None of them show up in DAZ libraries. I am still doing the tutorials for DAZ as this is my first attempt to learn it. I am doing the Tutorials etc. right now. I have been using Poser ever since it first came out under MetaCreations, but wanted to try my hand at DAZ --even tho I find the interface much less intuitive. The Starter Essentials_dpc seem to want to load to : Applications/DAZ by default, as does the Essentials .trx file. is this right?
    Any light you can shed will be appreciated. If I need to re-install stuff, I will; I just want everything to work so I can get on with it.
    Thanks in Advance,
    MarveL

DSON_WARNING_2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 251K
    DSON_WARNING1.jpg
    750 x 257 - 93K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you install the 32-bit or 64-bit DSON Importer?

edited December 1969

AAaaaagH !!! I am soooo stupid! My machine is a native 64 bit, but will run 32 bit stuff ok. But Poser 9 is 32 bit ( I just checked with Smith-Micro ) !!! How Dumb of me. Thanks a million. Now-- do I have to re-install the Genesis starter Essentials?? I am now re-reading the DSON Install paper again. Consciously.

...On the DAZ front: I have DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 & I installed some Genesis items but they don't seem to be showing up in the DAZ Studio libraries. The install path was ( I have a Mac ) /Applications/DAZ. Should I just install them again?? Hopefully It'll all get sorted + I can get on with some awesome stuff!
    Thanks
    MarveL

edited December 1969

Is that the path you install everything to? Are there "Runtime" and "Data" folders directly under that folder, and no "My Library" or "Content" under it?

edited December 1969

You don't need to reinstall Genesis Starter Essentials -- that doesn't differ between 32-bit and 64-bit.

edited December 1969

When I tell Essentials ( the one that loads to DAZ ) to Use Default settings it just says: Content Path: /Applications/DAZ 3D When I went to install the Poser ones to Poser, and the DSON files, it only did so when I unlocked all permissions to the Poser 9 folder and the Runtime folder inside. The Libraries part of Poser suddenly turned up in the main runtime folder. Even so, DAZ People section of 'Libraries' didn't show up under Libraries utill I found another Poser 'Runtime' ( this time with a capital R ) in my 'Shared' folder under 'Users'/Shared/Poser 9 Content/Runtime and copied 'Daz People' to that runtime also. THEN it showed up within Poser9 program in the 'Libraries', however, it doesn't load anything. The actors list shows , let's say, a Genesis figure, but there is nothing on the screen even when the body dial is turned to 100%. I am taking the DAZ People folder that I copied, out of the shared/Poser9 Content/ Runtime as I don't want to mess with anything I don't fully understand. The only other thing is to try to install something to that external Runtime and see if it all works. Other than that, I am just plain confused at this point. It seems to me that something was changed in Poser9 and the DAZ4.5.1.6 stuff and the Poser9 stuff are just not communicating to each other clearly right now. I'm going on to Smith Micro Chat tomorrow to see what's up. If you have any ideas, I'll keep checking in --and Thanks!

edited December 1969

Sorry to be so long-winded: The 'libraries folder that showed up in Poser/ runtime was the DAZ Genesis Starter Essentials . I guess that the other Runtime in Shared was the real one. So I'll give everything there a label color ( so I can recognize and take out the new installs if they don't work, later ) and try to install to that folder...wish me luck...

edited December 1969

Found out from Smith-Micro that the Poser9 original folder that was made at installation time is NOT for content, but only for the program to run properly. It is locked. They have a separate Poser9 content with a Runtime at: Users/shared/Poser 9 Content/Runtime . THAT one has a library, the other one does not. So now I am re-installing Poser from scratch and will attempt the DSON install as well. I just hope that I don't have to re-install DAZ as it's really difficult, I've been told.
    Is there a list of all the locations that DAZ Studio has put folders and files?? If not, there certainly should be. :ohh: MarveL