How to Load Content?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,614
edited December 1969 in New Users

Newbie question here. I've looked a the tutorials and they are just sooo confusing. Is there a nice simple step-by-step instructions on downloading and setting up content. Having bought some items, here's what I encounter so far:

--once purchased the items are available in my account, but the first hint of confusion is that they are made available in both PC and Mac files and both 32 and 64 bit flavors for the Mac. Daz might want to consider a process in which folks register the sort of machine they use and then only the appropriate versions for that machine would be made available. It would cut down on the clutter.

--Next bit of confusion is the fact that some files have both the file and the a metadata file. Not sure what purpose that other file serves.

--I download the appropriate zip files ( in my case Mac 64 bit). Unzip them and find the installer icon. Double click that and is goes through the standard install process. In my case it's putting the files in the user/documents/daz3d/studio/mylibrary/ directory. There are a number of files in this directory and this is my biggest area of confusion. For instance, you're think the skyrider air car model I bought would be found in the mylibrary/vehicles folder. But it isn't. A search shows some files were added to the my library/readme and the my library/runtime folders.

Complicating things is that I can't find this runtime folder within the Daz program when I look at Content Library. Is that because Runtime is related to Poser?
Don't get me wrong...great program...but a steep learning curve here.

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Okay, a few things to help out. Firstly Metadata is the information which tells Daz you've installed content and where to find it. Think of Metadata as a database entry so that it can all be displayed in the Smart Content tab. Install it alongside the main content for easy access to your purchases.

Secondly, some files are made with Poser users in mind. Such files are typically installed into your Runtime folder, which uses the same layout as Poser does for its own Runtimes. These files typically don't include metadata as they weren't specifically designed for Daz, so you can find them in the Content LIbrary under "Poser Content" when you open Daz Studio. The Poser runtime folder has its own layout for props, figures and other items, but should be easy enough to navigate especially if you know the name of the author who published the product.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

Thanks...that clears things up a bit. So apparently files that are Poser in original install in the runtime folder. When in Daz, the runtime folder does not appear in the Content Library, but there is a "Poser Formats" folder and inside that another "My Library" folder with the installed items in sub folders (camera, figures, hair, hands, etc).

You have to admit....this is a bit unwieldy. Part of this is having both Smart Content and Content Library. I'm sure I'll find value in Smart Content as I get better at the program, but it's just confusing now. So is the multiple My Libraries...and how that folder is confused with the "Library" folder.

My biggest nomenclature glitch, however is the fact that there are folders for "People" "Characters" and "Figures" all of which sort of mean the same thing.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

In reality it is only ONE My Library, the program is just showing you which parts of it it is looking in for that type of content.