Customized runtime

edited December 1969 in New Users

I finally installed my DAZ Studio4 (64bit). Before I install to many of my characters and clothes I would like to know if there is a tutorial somewhere, or how do I customized runtime. All my programmes are on my E-drive.
Thanks

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What do yu want to Customise, and what do you mean by that?

Poser content is stored inside a folder called Runtime, and there is one inside the My Library folder for that purpose. A Poser runtime folder has several other folders inside, and moving any of these files may cause errors when trying to load them. I have lots of runtime folders for holding Poser content, and I keep them all in Documents in a folder called Poser Runtimes. In there, I have one for M4, and another for V4, one for Buildings, another for Vehicles etc etc. You can create seperate runtime folders using whatever method you want, but they should always retain the original structure.

DAZ Studio does not have a rigid structure like Poser, and any DAZ Studio files installed into the My Library folder, will show up in Content. The DS formats are usually, DS, DSA, DSB, DSE, DSF, and most recently, DUF. There are also Categories in DS, and you can create your won order by using the inbuilt database without moving anything on the HDD.

Tell us a little more of what you want to do.

• edited January 2013

I also have Poser installed on my PC and for all my Poser stuff I have a AllRuns with runs for V4, M4, hair etc. I want to do the same for DAZ but I am not sure what I can move or rename.

For instance I notice than under My Library - People - Genesis -Clothing there is a leaf outfit for Mavka. The same outfit is also under My Library - Runtime Libraries - Character.

Post edited by maggijoubert58_7b81fc6ed5 on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

All of the older figures, V4, M4, in fact any Generation 4 figures and earlier, are in Poser Format, and the instller will put them into a runtime structure, either inside the My Library folder, or anywhere else you want to install them. That would not be a problem, as Poser uses virtual addressing, and it will look for the materials etc, in the Runtime folder that you are using. You can also list My Library as a library in Poser, and it will pick up the runtime folder, and display the content.

The main part of the DS only content will be Genesis, and any of the morphs for Genesis neeed to be installed into the My Library folder (or any other folder into which you have installed Genesis) or they wont work properly. This includes V5 and M5, and any of the other characters based on Genesis. In General, you should not try to organise content inside the My Library folder. There is no real need to do that anyway, since the newest items like Genesis, and it's characters, will appear in Smart Content, and in the Content Library pane under DAZ Studio Formats. There is also Categories, which allows you to display the content in your own way without moving anything on the disk, and risking the files not being found because they have been moved.

AdamR has done a tutorial on using the Database for DS4, and it also covers backing up the files as well. I will see if I can find a link for you.

• edited December 1969

Thank you very much for your help so far.:-)