Ubersurface2 and Uberhair not working anymore after Windows 7 to 8 update

linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,359
edited November 2013 in New Users

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,271
    edited December 1969

US2 is working for me, but it isn't included in DS so if you haven't updated for a while you may have an older vrsion that doesn't work - reset it from your history and install that. Same for uberHair, which I didn't test.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

UberSurface2 is not included in the default installation. UberSurface1 *is*.

The USS2 installer is now version 1.3 and works just fine in 4.5.1.56 for me.

UberHair is also version 1.3 and works for me in 4.5.1.56.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

btw, the 1.3 update is the one that changed them to self-compiling so they should now work in all future versions of DS.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

I can also confirm Uber Surfuce 2 (1.3) works fine in DS4.1.5.56.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,359
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Thank you a lot for your quick answers.

This made me think what else might have gone wrong.

I recently did an upgrade from win7 to win8.
    All files in documents were kept but all "programs" were uninstalled and I had to reinstall them manually.

My guess now is that some files of "Ubersurface2" and "Uberhair" are also placed in

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4

Seems those were all deleted but the references in

C:\Users\lin\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

were kept.

After reinstalling the 1.3 files its now working again.

Which leaves the question:
    Is there an easy way to tell which "Shader Packs" or "Light Sets" also place files in

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4

so they can run?

Guess I will have to reinstall all other Omnifreaker shaders in the "Uber Shader Pack" and the "Poseworks Shader Bundle" again to make sure.

Ummm...probably any that are actual shaders and not just presets. If Win8 is being that 'pissy' about the support files, how do any plugins work, because they need to go in the plugins folder...which is in the Studio4 folder...

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

That's why you never upgrade an operating system. You backup, format and start clean. I have Windows 8 and I have no problems at all with plugins.

Here's a tip to do a clean install from a Windows 8 upgrade disk. Format and clean install from the disk. Then after it starts up just run the setup again and it will 'upgrade' from Windows 8 to Windows 8 and allow you to activate with your upgrade key. ;)