Basic question.............I hope.

DurirDurir Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi everyone,
As I said in the tile, a basic question..............I hope. I have just taken advantage of the offer that DAZ has been going on, where some items are $1.99. I got the Greek Bath set. I down loaded it and it was a ZIP file. That in it self is not a problem. I have downloaded ZIP files before with no problems. But this time, I uninstalled it like normal, but I can not find it anywhere in the program! There is some references under DAZ, Content and runtime, but there is no content there.

So can some one please tell me where I may have gone wrong? I have tried to do a search with in the program, but nothing is found. I did unzip the file to the normal location (in my case, on to my external drive with all of the other items that I have loaded on).

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Did you install it to the My Library folder?

I think this is an older item, it wont have Metadata, so it wont appear in Smart Content, but it will be in the Content Library > POSER formats > Figures (or maybe Props)

Most older content is Poser format, including V4, V3, M4, M3 etc.

• DurirDurir Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi JimmyC_2009,

Yea I did put it in the My Library folder. As I said, I did the same as I have done before. The other zip files that I have done have all worked with no problem. It is just very strange. I just can not put my finger on what I have done wrong.

Thanks for getting back too me. :-)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

As was mentioned before older content was created before DS4 and Smart Content. Only items created for DS4 or that have been Updated with Metadata files for DS4 will be found in the Smart Content Tab. To find content that does not have Metadata (the file that makes content Smart) you will need to Open Window>Panes (Tabs)>Content Library and then look in the proper Folders for the items. Poser Format>My Library>Figures,Props or whatever type content it is.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • DurirDurir Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Jaderail, I remember what you told me last week, and after that helpful advice I have managed to get a hold of how this works until now. I am sure that I am doing something very basic wrong.......................... As I said, the other zip files that I have loaded have been ok.

I think what I will do is try and reinstall the zip file again, but really take my time on locations and the likes to make extra sure that I got that part right.

Thanks again for trying to help me.

edited December 1969

Durir said:
    Hi Jaderail, I remember what you told me last week, and after that helpful advice I have managed to get a hold of how this works until now. I am sure that I am doing something very basic wrong.......................... As I said, the other zip files that I have loaded have been ok.

I think what I will do is try and reinstall the zip file again, but really take my time on locations and the likes to make extra sure that I got that part right.

Thanks again for trying to help me.

I'm sorry I did not catch your Handle and remember you from before. I'm in too many threads with too many users. Hi again!

TIP: Remove the files you installed into My Library before you try a new Install.

I'm Going to have a New Zip Install Tutorial soon, I hope it will cover any issues that you might be having.
  • sralosangelessralosangeles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi all - sorry, not a reply, but this is the closest I've been able to find to the issue I'm having. I unzipped and copied what I purchased to the Library, and can find the items, but can't figure out how to use the items (clothing for Michael 4). This is probably something that's covered somewhere else, but I'm a bit overwhelmed. If anyone can point me in the correct direction for some instructions, that would be helpful. I'm not trying to be a uber-user, just want to put together a cover for my book. Thanks! Susan

edited December 1969

Hi all - sorry, not a reply, but this is the closest I've been able to find to the issue I'm having. I unzipped and copied what I purchased to the Library, and can find the items, but can't figure out how to use the items (clothing for Michael 4). This is probably something that's covered somewhere else, but I'm a bit overwhelmed. If anyone can point me in the correct direction for some instructions, that would be helpful. I'm not trying to be a uber-user, just want to put together a cover for my book. Thanks! Susan
    First Question, are you sure you bought the REAL clothing content and Not Just a Texture set for the clothing? A link to the set would really help answer this question.
    edited December 1969

It would figure if I bought the wrong thing. I'm not sure how to process the link you're referencing, but the product is Regency for Michael 4. Please bear with me. I'm an Excel whiz (including writing Visual Basic code), but this program has me stumped for some reason. I truly appreciate your help. I confess I'm almost to the point of giving up as I just want to do a simple cover. :-(

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

All you need to do is go to the product page and copy and paste the URL in to your post.

Anyway Regency for M4 clothing mesh will be in the Content Library Pane (NOT SMART CONTENT PANE) under Poser Formats > My Library > Figues > M4Regency
    The Daz Studio Material (textures Presets) will be under Daz Studio Formats > My Library > People > Michael 4 > Clothing > M4Regency

If you don't have the Content Library Pane open go to Window > Panes (Tabs) > Content Library

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

Can anyone clarify the relationship between Poser and Daz? Are they owned by the same company? It's great that they want to make older Poser stuff available to Daz users, but it would be even better if the folks at Daz would create Daz versions of all those old geometry sets. This would end all the problems newbies like me have with installing content we buy.

BTW, I got an older item during the sale "Temple Ruins" that unzips into a set of documents in folders. It doesn't have an installer program as the others things I've bought have. What am I suppose to do with these various items?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

Daz Studio was created by and is owned by DAZ 3D.

Poser at the present time is owned by Smith Micro, although it has had previous owners. ( Metacreations, Curious labs, E frontier and now SM)

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Hi Pete - you are a very kind an patient person! I did find all of the items yesterday in the path you described, but what I couldn't figure out is how to apply the items to the actor (not sure what the exact verbiage is). I'm using the basic male. Is there something else I should be using? I'm in L.A. and at work, so I'll need to wait until I'm home to get into the program. Thanks again.

edited December 1969

What is the reason that Daz is so accomodating to Poser users? Are there that many people that use both programs? From a business perspective, it would seem smarter for Daz to create it's own universe and not confuse users with the laborious mechanics of using Poser files in Daz.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,446
    edited December 1969

dkutzera said:

BTW, I got an older item during the sale "Temple Ruins" that unzips into a set of documents in folders. It doesn't have an installer program as the others things I've bought have. What am I suppose to do with these various items?

Can you give us a link to that product?

edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    What is the reason that Daz is so accomodating to Poser users? Are there that many people that use both programs? From a business perspective, it would seem smarter for Daz to create it's own universe and not confuse users with the laborious mechanics of using Poser files in Daz.

Basically Poser would not be where it is today with out Daz 3D content, but equally Daz 3D wouldn't be where it is today without Poser.

Poser is older than Daz Studio, but DAZ 3D created a lot of the content for original versions of Poser, and then created additional figures for use in Poser.

When there was some doubt about the future of Poser, then DAZ 3D started working on it's own software, but DAZ 3D is a content seller, first and foremost, and thus needs to create content which can be used in both programs, and incidently in other programs as well.

edited January 2013

dkutzera said:

That is a very old product. It is now in a zip file. Also come with a PDF which tells you how to use the zip.

temple_ruins_dl.jpg
    743 x 92 - 39K
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Just something to keep in mind as far as .zip files go. Most often you will find a PC version and a Mac version of an item. Always make sure you are working with the correct version of the product. Older installers will usually have a .exe file for PC but lately some items have been appearing in .zip format only. Just make sure it doesn't have 'MAC' in the file name.

edited January 2013

When DAZ 3D has converted the files to zips it is because the older installers will not work with the newer Mac OS Xs, and so they are issuing the zips, which will work on both platforms, Mac and PC.

The product in question is one of these products.

edited January 2013

Yep, what Szark said. Opps, and these others as well.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the background info. Certainly if they are primarily a content creator (and boy what a lot of content!) they gotta serve the marketplace. Still it presents a real steep and counter-intuitive learning curve for newbies like me.

I can't find the Temple Ruins page on their site...I opened the read-me that came among the unziipped filed but it says the page cannot be found. The model is the same as show here in this lighting kit.

http://www.daz3d.com/light-n-go-temple-ruins

I got the temple, but not the light'n'go kit. This is the item that unzipped not as an install file, but as a folder : IM00001812_TempleRuins

In this folder is a Content subfolder with read me's inside that. And a Runtime folder with subfolders for geometries, libraries, support and textures. Should I cope the master folder to my content folder, or should I try to copy files inside sub folders into various sub folders already in my content folder. for instance,perhaps I should copy all the .obj files from the Geometries>Temple Ruins folder into the My Library > Runtime > Geometries folders. This gets really confusing.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    All you need to do is go to the product page and copy and paste the URL in to your post.

Anyway Regency for M4 clothing mesh will be in the Content Library Pane (NOT SMART CONTENT PANE) under Poser Formats > My Library > Figues > M4Regency
    The Daz Studio Material (textures Presets) will be under Daz Studio Formats > My Library > People > Michael 4 > Clothing > M4Regency

If you don't have the Content Library Pane open go to Window > Panes (Tabs) > Content Library

Thanks Pete! It worked! Susan

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    Can anyone clarify the relationship between Poser and Daz? Are they owned by the same company? It's great that they want to make older Poser stuff available to Daz users, but it would be even better if the folks at Daz would create Daz versions of all those old geometry sets. This would end all the problems newbies like me have with installing content we buy.

Poser got its start in the mid 1990s as a low cost 3d rendering and animation tool. DAZ 3D got its start in the late 1990s selling content for Poser. DAZ 3d and Poser have a symbiotic relationship. DAZ content helped make Poser more successful.

The Poser software changed hands a number of times. Fractal Design -> MetaCreations -> Curious Labs -> e-frontier -> Smith Micro.

Interestingly, the software that is now Carrara was created by MetaCreations when it merged two other products (Ray Dream Studio and Infini-D). When MetaCreation decided to sell off all it products around 2000, Poser was sold to Curious Labs and Carrara to Eovia. DAZ 3d acquired Carrara when it bought Eovia in 2006.

DAZ Studio was developed by DAZ 3d and first released around 2005 I think, making it almost the only software that has not changed hands in this space.

I would guess that even today more DAZ content sales are for use with Poser than DAZ Studio.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Thanks Pete! It worked! SusanYeah sorry about that, I went to bed earlier than I normally do. Glad you are up and running. Oh I don't know about being patient as I seem to be a bit cranky these days. :)