Iray eye glow?

I have been struggling with materials trying to make genesis 1's (with v4 mapping) irises glow with blue light. I can't figure it out for the life of me, struggled for hours. I have applied the light emission shader and am rendering in iray. All increasing the intensity seems to do is make the color brighter. I have tried every setting on the materials tab with different values.

This product looks like it does the trick http://www.daz3d.com/da-glowing-eyes-iray-edition-for-genesis-3 but as genesis 1's eyes don't share the same mapping, I want to know if it works before purchasing it.

Comments

• If you want to see the eyes glow you either need the rest of the face somewhat shadowed, so that the contrast shows the effect (and you may see soem light cast on the face around the eye) or you may want to enable Bloom in Render Settings or both.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,702
    edited March 2017

Whenever I want ANYTHING to glow, I apply this, and I change the colour as needed. It comes with several shades of white, red, blue, green, and black (purple). Here it is in action.

Post edited by xyer0 on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

This product looks like it does the trick http://www.daz3d.com/da-glowing-eyes-iray-edition-for-genesis-3 but as genesis 1's eyes don't share the same mapping, I want to know if it works before purchasing it.

Some of these are shaders and aren't material specific. You might contact the vendor to ask if the preset can be applied to other eye parts.

In all characters, eyes have multiple surfaces, and trying to add glow to all of them is counterproductive. Plus, applying an emissive shader to an inner surface may fail to produce the effect that you want. You need to be careful how the outer surfaces are shaded. The product you pointed to appears to show a glow for the entire eye, which means you need to select the outer-most surface. I don't recall which one that is with G1, but you can easily experiment.

• I've also found that once you apply the emissive shader, you should change the  Luminance Units to either kcd/m^2 or cd/m^2 then you don't have to crank the Luminance up to ridiculously high values to be able to see the effect.